Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2015, 10:57 AM

23,438 posts, read 44,044,945 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnsleyPark View Post
I've owned a home in Blue Ridge for 10 years and have never been asked about attending church.
Honestly, I've never understood this idiotic myth and why it didn't fade away eons ago...at least on CD.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2015, 11:59 AM

2,663 posts, read 4,841,604 times
Making fun of the state because it's in the bible belt. . . ,

Old 02-17-2015, 07:36 PM

3,997 posts, read 4,140,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
Honestly, I've never understood this idiotic myth and why it didn't fade away eons ago...at least on CD.
Actually... I was. When we first moved up to the mountains I was asked, but not in a derogatory way. More I think as a way to find out if I had a religious preference and as an invitation to visit if I hadn't found a church. It was never an issue if I said no. Since then I've actually decided to become more spiritual and while not still overly religious, I've made an effort to understand the locals and their ideals.

Old 02-18-2015, 04:39 PM

3,006 posts, read 2,627,212 times
Do people ask these questions when looking for homes in other areas of the country, or is it just the south? This region is not monolithic and we're not all "holy rollers." Your intentions seem to be good, but your post comes off as disrespectful because of the assumption that people are going to hassle you if you're not a bible thumping conservative. By and large, we don't care, just like your fellow Californians.

Old 02-18-2015, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pemgin View Post
Do people ask these questions when looking for homes in other areas of the country, or is it just the south? This region is not monolithic and we're not all "holy rollers." Your intentions seem to be good, but your post comes off as disrespectful because of the assumption that people are going to hassle you if you're not a bible thumping conservative. By and large, we don't care, just like your fellow Californians.
I was asked a lot of questions when we moved here. It wasn't nosey, they genuinely wanted to get to know me. I can appreciate that... and I knew that they in turn wouldn't get mad when I ask them. To me there's nothing worse than having neighbors that you know nothing about. And.. especially when you are talking about the small towns in North Georgia there is only so many social aspects to get involved with to meet folks. Church, school functions if you have children (we don't), perhaps work (neither of us work here) but little else as far real opportunities to meet people and become a part of the community. I guess that is the difference between the South and other locations.. We do care.. And it's the charm and caring that make the south so special to me.....

Old 02-19-2015, 02:40 AM

2,014 posts, read 5,096,386 times
These stereotypes about race and religion in the deep south are way over blown, even if there is SOME truth to them. It's not nearly as bad as made out to be.

I was in a very small South Georgia town of about 5,000 people for the 4th of July where I have family and noticed a younger white girl maybe 19 or 20 walk up to a gas station where many people were parked at to see fireworks. She had her mixed baby and black boyfriend with her and people went on about their business.

I come from a long line of Southern black preachers and honestly right now I'm finding myself and dont know what I believe. I guess I'd say more agnostic theist. I dont attend church currently. Everybody knows how serious southerners, especially black people, take church down south and I still have no problems, being the grandson and great grandson of some rather known black preachers. People dont really ask me anything and if they do it's not so bad. I say what I have to say and that's that. It's no real pressure or annoyance.

Most of these people are only at church as another social gathering place anyway. They barely understand what they claim to believe, if at all. Their actions show they forget 75-80% of all that religion as soon as they exit the church doors and it's a bunch of mess going on inside the church (who's sleeping with who's wife, who's the pastor sleeping around with, "mysterious" uses of church funds, etc.) So who are they to pressure someone to go to church. I wouldn't worry about if I were you or any one else. It's no big deal.

Old 02-19-2015, 02:58 PM

5,621 posts, read 5,929,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern Soul Bro View Post
Most of these people are only at church as another social gathering place anyway. They barely understand what they claim to believe, if at all. Their actions show they forget 75-80% of all that religion as soon as they exit the church doors and it's a bunch of mess going on inside the church (who's sleeping with who's wife, who's the pastor sleeping around with, "mysterious" uses of church funds, etc.) So who are they to pressure someone to go to church. I wouldn't worry about if I were you or any one else. It's no big deal.
This is very true. It's a big part of the social fabric here. A meeting place or a commons as much as a place of worship.

Old 02-19-2015, 03:42 PM

215 posts, read 389,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulysses61 View Post
My husband and I are two years away from retirement. We are both natives on southern California, but have spent a great deal of time in the north Georgia mountains in the past 20 years. We love Blue Ridge, Dahlonega and Ellijay. We have rented cabins in the these areas and because we're both teachers, we have been able to spend 2 months every summer to get to know the culture and the area. We've also spent significant times in the in winter in the mountains. Climate is not an issue, it suits us.

Though we have always loved Georgia and the people, I admit we are wary of culture shock if and when we actually buy a retirement home. But I want to stress: we are NOT interested in changing anyone or anything, we are not anti-gun, anti-Southern culture or wanting to bring a bunch of liberal political ideas into a new community. We don't host gay parties, listen to Rap music or have posters of Obama on our walls. We respect the traditions of the south and in no way have some kind of "progressive" mindset. We just want to live and let live, be friendly to all and be accepting of our neighbors.

The one possible fly in the ointment is that we are not religious and we've often heard that locals may be trying to get us to go to church. Is this a myth or does this really happen? So often I hear that within days of moving into a home, neighbors will come around and their first or second question will be, "what church do you attend?" In California, this would be unheard of, nobody would ask such an intrusive question and nobody would care.

IOW, I want to retire to the north Georgia mountains but I do not want to be asked about my religious views or have that be an issue. To me, the subject of religion is very private and nobody's business whether I am a Holy Roller or an atheist, or something in between. Perhaps the info I've received is erroneous. Any thoughts from locals would be appreciated.
all I know is if you don't go to church then you're going to go to hell so, it's your soul.

But I'll pray for you. It's the Christian thing to do.

as for listening to rap? alot of famous rappers come from Georgia, many still live there.

Im pretty damn sure, as you say, " THE info YOU HAVE RECIEVED IS ERRONEOUS."

you and EVERY OTHER LAST SINGLE Idiot on this ENTIRE website when it comes to people outside the South, wanting to move to the South.

all of you should really stop watching Mississippi Burning before you ask stupid questions. It makes you look even more stupid than we already think you are anyway.

That's seriously not to truly insult anyone either, its really is just the truth. No offense.

Im from the South, have lived in the South my entire life and have NEVER been asked what church I go to and neither has my own grandmother or anyone of her generation or anyone in m entire family

where do you all come up with this crap? No one is going to just walk up to you and ask what church you go to? I have NEVER witnessed it my entire life not even in small ass country towns

unless you are talking to a person who happens to be a preacher and you didn't know it or something or you're at some church food drive or some crap maybe??

the only time I was ever asked anything even remotely similar is when I was in the hospital and they ask standard questions while taking your insurance info and they say "would you like to receive visitors? would you like us to give your code out to anyone if they call and ask about you? do you have a living will or power o attorney? would you like to receive a visit from any clergy or preacher?"

that is literally the only time I have EVER been asked anything remotely similar to what the OP is talking about and that's common in any hospital anywhere in the U.S. and is not even in a religious context.

people coming here act as if they are entering a foreign country or something they've only seen on the Discovery channel. It's completely retarded.

is it just one small group of about 5 posters/trolls who get on these "wanting to move to the South threads"? its the EXACT SAME RETARDED QUESTONS EVERY SINGLE TIME and I see it in EVERY SINGLE THREAD about a state that is in the South on this website

you Northerners just CANT be this LAME?????? Im sorry (Mods) but there's some things on this site about this very subject that are just too repetitive to be true or take seriously from the people who post them, like the one above.

Last edited by Tenn82; 02-19-2015 at 04:08 PM..

Old 02-20-2015, 09:06 AM

1,708 posts, read 1,635,959 times
In Alabama where my parents live, I've been asked more times than I can count, the most notable when my father's preacher asked me, over my father's hospital bed, where I went to church. After having to tactfully state with my religious father listening that I don't attend anywhere, I came up a solution. Now I say that I'm unaffiliated". That seems to satisfy / confuse enough that the person doesn't follow up.

I've lived in Georgia for 41 years, and I can't remember ever being asked to attend someone's church.

Old 02-20-2015, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlking58 View Post

I've lived in Georgia for 41 years, and I can't remember ever being asked to attend someone's church.
I honestly believe it has more to do with the SIZE of the town your moving to more than anything. North Georgia has a wide scope. Atlanta to podunk. Nobody in Atlanta or any of the bigger places care. Move to Booger Hollar ... their gonna care. And the thing is... it doesn't matter.. one way or another. I can't for the life of me figure out why people get so offended over a simple question that is only meant to get to know you better. I've been asked worse and sure I will be again....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia