U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-07-2006, 11:24 AM

1 posts, read 1,837 times

Advertisements

Hey All! My family and I are planning on moving to Georgia early 2007. However, we picked a state that looked interesting and are clueless to which area would be best to raise children. Currently we have one daughter (plan on having a total of atleast 4). We are looking for a small town, not over-populated and our major concerns are:
-We would love a good church or a city that is close to a good Baptist church.
-We need good employment rates or an area close to good employment opportunities.
-We need a good school system for all ages, including adult ed.
-We need an area with low crime rates.
-We would prefer an area with low traffic rates.
-We would also would love info on rental rates, cost of homes, and ratio between the two.
I know its a lot....but any advice on particular cities would be greatly appreciated. Thank you for you time.
Jim, Sarah, and Madi[/font]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2006, 09:03 PM

9,188 posts, read 30,798,751 times
Ok, first off, there are over 6 billion people on earth. You don't want an "overpopulated" town, but heck, you're wanting to have enough kids to overpopulate wherever you move. LOL Stamp collecting is an excellent hobby as opposed to birthing, by the way. That being said...

There are a variety of smaller cities in Georgia that may fit your bill. Atlanta is out (crime, congestion, schools), as would be Savannah or Macon (schools). This is the south - you will be within 6 feet of a Baptist church no matter where you live, so that's not a concern. You want good employment rates, but want low traffic - so you've knocked out Atlanta for the jobs due to the traffic and schools. Most other cities around here are smaller so tons of jobs are out, but you get the lower taffic and lower crime. Smaller cities close enough to Atlanta to take advantage of the job growth will have the traffic and overflow of some crime.

So, you say you just "picked a state that looked interesting" but know nothing about it? How do you know it's interesting if you don't know anything about it?

My suggestion: Nashville. Jobs, growth but not out of control growth, lower crime, decent schools, traffic so-so but not insane.

Last edited by atlantagreg30127; 11-07-2006 at 09:27 PM..

Old 11-09-2006, 09:18 PM

1 posts, read 1,836 times
We live in Zebulon, GA (Pike County). It's a great small town, and the schools are excellent. I have two teens and a 4th grader. Crime rate is low, and housing is affordable. It is about a 45 minute drive from our home to the Atlanta Airport. Please let me know if you would like more info on our great little town. Email me at: halobearer@hotmail.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia