U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2006, 09:41 AM

48 posts, read 204,817 times

Advertisements

honestly, the more time i have had to think about moving the less frightened i have become. i know in my heart this move is best. granted, i will miss my family like crazy, but they are all a phone call away and deep down inside i am hoping they consider making the move as well, especially when they take a look at our beautiful new home in GA! Whatever your decision is, don't rush. That's the best advise i recieved!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2006, 11:46 PM

5 posts, read 9,051 times
I did the same thing, every one else did relocate, to georgia "BIG MISTAKE"

Old 12-03-2006, 05:24 AM

1,943 posts, read 7,919,913 times
I'm not moving to GA, but I did move away from family, and am going to do it again. I moved from Philly to FL, first, without my children and husband, for a better job. My children came to me in 2 months, and my husband followed 9 months later. I left ALL of my family and friends, and we came down to FL and the only family was his parents.

It's been 3 years, and I found out that while we have been in a better situation, my overall goal of being a homeowner, of where we live now, is impossible (been renting). So we are contemplating moving yet again, and this time, to a state where neither of us have anyone. So we'll be completely alone.

But, it will be a place in an area where I can own. Where I can raise my family. And still have jobs. So then I think...we're really not alone. We have our children with us. And our children will grow with us. And then hopefully they'll get married and have children, and then we can start a brand new family in this new place. hopefully we'll have visitors from our family time and again.

But if no one ever moved because they wanted to be with family, then no one would ever venture out and discover new places.

Old 12-03-2006, 06:44 AM

78 posts, read 201,332 times
Hi Irish,
Where do you live in Georgia? My husband and I are searching for that perfect place to relocate from NH. Real estate prices are not as ghastly here as NY, but higher than the south. I'd like to transport my town from here to someplace warm ie. small, quaint, friendly with cultural activities. No snakes please!!!
Kate G

Old 12-03-2006, 06:51 AM

78 posts, read 201,332 times
Hi Indiansprings,
Why big mistake? I'm in the process of building list of best places to relocate from NH to someplace warm.
KateG

Old 12-06-2006, 01:30 AM

Hi Kateg, SORRY, to burst your bubble, but i'll tell ya like it is ! you are fallin into the same trap, alot of other people and myself, fell into !...give it a couple on months to a year, have some experinces, here in Georgia ! the people here are,demented, rude, ruthless, and obnoxious, they have no regard or respect, for any one or thing ! they live in the, 50's !!!!!!!!! as fast as people think, they made an excellent move,.......like myself, i movin the hell out ! Keep in mind also, as long as a builder has there hands on your money, you have all the smiles, and every thing you want to hear ! i was also told, north and south carolina, and georgia,.....have the same problems....... Good LucK !

Old 12-06-2006, 09:46 AM

1,418 posts, read 9,512,259 times
Quote:
But if no one ever moved because they wanted to be with family, then no one would ever venture out and discover new places.
I, for one, am not a big fan of moving away from family. Family roots in a town are very important, epsecially in smaller towns. You will find that the most prominent families in small to medium sized towns are those that come from generations of family. You don't have to be a genius, don't have to be come from wealthy ancestors, but success is more certain to successive generations of family if that family stays in the same town. Some family membners will get involved in city/county, and even state politics. Others will have successfull businesses. This makes it all that much easier for "family" to get jobs, start businesses, etc. regardless of what the economy is doing.

There is not that much difference living in a small town in Florida, a small town in Georgia, or a small town in Ohio. Sure the scenery is different, the people have different accents, but you will find that all such towns are run by established families. It's not easy be a wonderer and successfully grow roots in a town where your kids and grandkids can prosper.

Old 12-06-2006, 02:40 PM

1 posts, read 1,063 times
Default Mixed Feelns

I am so happy that I discover this website---I am all mixed up. I really want to move to Georgia-Duluth-is the city where I was offered a new and wonderful job...I moved from NYC to Fort Lauderdale seven years ago --and I loved it-I love going to MIA to shop- --and I loved it dearly--over the past two years it was hard for me as my Grandma who raised me fell ill, I stayed in Fort Lauderdale and I would make that four hour trip every off day that I had to Tampa-she lived with my brother-I did apply for a transfer as it was just too much for me --they finally gave me the transfer on 10/07/06--for that I was greatful, as I was in Orlando which was an hour away--she died on 11/24/06-my son's birthday --you can imagine when I say I just dont want to be here at all as the memories of her and why am her is just too much for me to endure--forgive me for going on and on--I want to know if you think as a single African American it would be wise for me to move to Duluth? Please give me your honest advice----yes I do think there should be a support group for MIA relocators --Yes I miss Fort Laudedale and Miami so so so so so so so so much --in my head Fort Lauderdale (PLANTATION) will always be home for me--always

Old 12-07-2006, 01:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DERUMA2324 View Post
I am so happy that I discover this website---I am all mixed up. I really want to move to Georgia-Duluth-is the city where I was offered a new and wonderful job...I moved from NYC to Fort Lauderdale seven years ago --and I loved it-I love going to MIA to shop- --and I loved it dearly--over the past two years it was hard for me as my Grandma who raised me fell ill, I stayed in Fort Lauderdale and I would make that four hour trip every off day that I had to Tampa-she lived with my brother-I did apply for a transfer as it was just too much for me --they finally gave me the transfer on 10/07/06--for that I was greatful, as I was in Orlando which was an hour away--she died on 11/24/06-my son's birthday --you can imagine when I say I just dont want to be here at all as the memories of her and why am her is just too much for me to endure--forgive me for going on and on--I want to know if you think as a single African American it would be wise for me to move to Duluth? Please give me your honest advice----yes I do think there should be a support group for MIA relocators --Yes I miss Fort Laudedale and Miami so so so so so so so so much --in my head Fort Lauderdale (PLANTATION) will always be home for me--always
i relocated from florida also,.....like every one else ! but i wished i would have found this web site,.before i moved here to geogia ! I am presently moving out of Georgia, back to Ft. Lauderdale also......Follow your intuation ! GOOD LUCK !
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia