U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2006, 07:49 AM

48 posts, read 204,759 times

Advertisements

I am in the midst of a crisis... i have lived my entire life in Miami, Florida surrounded by my closest familiy and friends. My husband and 2 kids have a wonderful opportunity to relocate to GA. I call it wonderful because i fell in love with the state and the home (which by the way is currently being built for us). My propblem is making the decision to leave. One day I am all for it (and put my current home on the market for sale) and the next day I am in tears and want to stay here in Miami.

Has anyone ever had a similar situation and how did you make your decision? I know families relocate all the time away from eachother, i am just wondering how they did it. I am so used to being around family and i would like the same for my children, but then there's this opportunity to own a big home w land in a great community... im so confused!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2006, 08:20 AM

51 posts, read 266,063 times
You didn't say why you are moving to Georgia. Is it just because of the big home, land, and you like Georgia? Or is it because of financial opportunities like a better paying job or promotion or something of that nature?

I have been exactly where you are....many, many times. I moved a lot when I was in the Navy...I missed my family very much and every time we put down roots and got comfortable with friends in an area....it was time to move again. It never got easier....but, on the other hand it was exciting to move to a new place and have new experiences and meet different people.

When I got out of the military, we moved closer to my family. That was really nice and I wished we had never left...but, my husband got transferred with the military and we had no choice.

I often say that it would have been nice for my 2 children to have lived closer to their grandparents and other family growing up. There are days I would give anything to live by them....but, now that the children are in school, have made friends, we are established with our jobs, etc, etc, it is very hard to move back.

I know this is probably not the best answer....but, I will tell you the two choices are opportunities/jobs and family. If you can have both, it is the best...if not, you just have to make the choice which is more important.

Old 11-08-2006, 09:32 AM

the reason we are considering the move is because of the increase in cost of living here in Miami. Our insurance and taxes have more than doubled in the past year. We currently own a 4/3 townhome and were looking into buying a house in our area but everything is way too expensive. Our townhome is up for sale for $360,000!!! the home in GA is $248,000...

Old 11-08-2006, 11:08 AM

18 posts, read 120,093 times
Default I understand....

gabound,
From one Miami girl to another I know just what you are going through! My husband & I have decided to move to Georgia. All my family & friends are Miami. It was a really hard choice to make but we feel it had to be done. Our current home is a 3/2.5 and is on the market for $485K. our taxes and insurance are insane! Our families were very supportive of us. It's not that far, so they can visit fairly often. And hopefully even move too (some have already started to talk about possibly relocating ). If you guys think it's a good idea for your family to relocate, then rip the bandaid off and do it!! You'll never feel 100% ok with leaving everyone behind. We bought a home in Canton and should be moving in Feb-March. We still feel sad about leaving. But we feel it's going to be a good move none the less.
Good luck!

Old 11-08-2006, 01:39 PM

Thanks GPfromMIA! it's nice to read about a similar situation. The house in GA is being built and will supposedly be ready end of Jan. 07 so I guess I have till then to get used to the idea.

Thanks again for the advise and good luck to you as well!!

Old 11-09-2006, 06:44 AM

90 posts, read 303,702 times
Default We're moving from Florida also...

We aren't torn about it. We have a home right on the golf course. We're an hour south of Orlando. I have a grown daughter living in Atlanta and we still have kids under 12. We will probably keep our Florida home for awhile, but are fixing to sell it once we are settled into Ga a couple of years.

I want some in between weather. Not too hot, not too cold, but am not sure
where to settle. We also want to get away from traffic. Good luck in GA!

Just think... you can have wonderful Thanksgivings and Christmas and your realatives can come and see you!!! K

Old 11-09-2006, 02:51 PM

4 posts, read 13,310 times
Default I understand your position

We too are considering relocating to Georgia. My husband has a wonderful job opportunity with a companyin Duluth. The hard part for us is that we built our dream home in Pa. 13 years ago and it is hard to leave the beautiful home that we have created and are raising our 3 children in. I am lucky that my Mother said that she would relocate with us if we choose to move. My father passed away a few months ago and we are such vital support for each other. For me the most important things right now in life are my family and our future career decisions. As a mother of 3 , taking care of the children and all of the work that comes with being a Mom doesn't leave me with a whole lot time to see my friends face to face.The nice thing is that they are just a phone call away. I wish you the best and trust your inner self and feelings, they haven't let you down in the past. I look forward to my future. As long as we as a family unit can be together, that is what matters most to me. Good Luck!!

Old 11-09-2006, 07:03 PM

51 posts, read 266,063 times
Welcome to all that are moving to GA....thinking of moving to Georgia....or have moved to GA. I've been here 12 years and absolutely love living here. I miss my family in New York, but, we could never have the quality of live we have here. When my family comes to visit they think I'm living in a home 4 times as expensive as they have on Long Island....there is no way we could live this comfortably in New York. Now my parents have their house up for sale in Florida and are thinking of moving to GA...What that means is we'll see the New Yorkers more often because they will be visiting my parents in GA!! Good luck to everyone!

Old 11-14-2006, 06:48 PM
PMV

21 posts, read 111,147 times
I too have been torn about moving from where I was born and raised (Toronto, Canada) but my husband has a great job offer in Savannah. Yes, it's hard to leave all of our friends and family behind but with everyone's busy schedules these days, we hardly see any of them face-to-face anyway. I keep in contact over the phone and by email so that won't change, even if we are an 18-hour drive away. gabound, I can certainly relate to what you are going through (I am living it right now too) but in the end, I think I will choose to look at it as a new adventure! You will still see your friends and family, just not as often.....it makes those times that you do get to see them more special. Just think about the great new house that will await you

Old 11-15-2006, 08:40 AM

Thanks to everyone who responded! Positive points for everyone. I have since decided that the move is the best thing to do right now. All I have to do is sell my house!

THANKS AGAIN!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia