U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2006, 09:32 AM

1 posts, read 9,636 times

Advertisements

We are looking to retire in Northern Part of the State. Are the snakes real bad? Any suggestions on small towns in Buford or Cherokee county? Want small town and yet close to shopping and medical
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2006, 09:43 PM

9,188 posts, read 30,792,437 times
Copperheads are the most common poisonous snake. You can get them anywhere but they're not "real bad" if you keep your grass cut short and keep things like piles of wood neat or kept in enclosed outhouses.

Cottonmouths (more poisonous) are usually only found near water (streams, lakes, etc), and again, if grass is kept shut it's no prob. Most other snakes are small earth snakes, brown snakes, rat snakes, etc. Some small breeds of timber rattlers can be found in the N. Ga. mountains.

Old 11-09-2006, 06:54 PM

51 posts, read 266,076 times
I've lived here 12 years and have never seen a snake once. I have over an acre of land and in ground swimming pool. We do keep our grass mowed and we have a black lab that has full run of our fenced in back yard. I don't go into our woods, or by the creek that runs through our land. My children have seen snakes...but, I think boys look for them and we tell them to stay as far away from them as possible.

If you live in an active small town, with a lot of people and activity, near shopping...you probably won't see many snakes as they sense by vibration and if there are a lot of people, they usually stay away.....now if you buy a house in the middle of no where, close to the woods, streams, etc....you'll probably see more snakes...but that's true for most places anyway.

Old 11-10-2006, 09:01 PM

4 posts, read 30,337 times
Default How bad are the snakes in Georgia

Hello,
I was just wondering how bad the snakes are in Georgia. I'm thinking about moving to Springfield or Guyton. How cold does it get in the winter ? I'm moving from North Carolina to Georgia in Jan 2007.

Old 11-11-2006, 01:25 AM

51 posts, read 266,076 times
This is the second post I've seen asking about snakes in Georgia. I'm sure there are all sorts of snakes that are native to Georgia...just like there would be in Florida, New York, or other states.

I've lived her 12 years and have never seen one. I don't go looking for them either. From what I've always been told if you leave the wild life alone, they usually leave you alone...LOL. I guess if you are thinking of moving to a very rural area and will be out in the the woods, or around streams or have property with very high grass you may see some snakes or other critters. My neighbor saw a snake when there was some clearing of property for new homes. She said the wild life was run off the property and had to go somewhere....that made sense. I had another neighbor that had to call in an exterminator after some critters visited her home when a builder was clearing property behind her.

Old 11-14-2006, 10:20 PM

7 posts, read 52,413 times
i had a copperhead family in my backyard ...i shot the big snake and stepped on all the babys ..

copperheads are most common up there ..i moved

get you a " snake bite " kit from the " Feed and Seed " in Cummings

Old 11-15-2006, 03:21 PM

1 posts, read 9,564 times
Default information on snakes

Something like 70% of venomous snakebites are considered illegitimate - meaning the so-called victim was bitten because of his own stupidity. Leave them alone and they'll leave you alone. Become familiar with the snakes in your area, both venomous and non-venomous - get a Peterson's field guide to help you out. Learn their habits and preferred habitats. As you've probably guessed by now, I'm tremendously fond of snakes. I've nearly stepped on copperheads trail-running and the snakes have never, ever flinched or reacted defensively at all, even when I've picked them up - with a stick - and moved them to safer ground. Keep in mind, also, that it's illegal in the state of GA to kill, harass or harm any non-venomous snake. There are 42 species of snakes in this state and only 6 are venomous - and don't listen to the idiots who tell you that snakes will chase you or jump into your boat.

Old 11-16-2006, 09:21 PM

20,005 posts, read 70,599,307 times
Listen to turtlegirl, she knows what shes talkin about.

Leave em alone. The most common snake youll find in Georgia is the Agkistrodon contortrix (copperhead) and Crotalus horridus (pygmy version of the timber rattlesnake--I forget the subspecies name). There are Agkistrodon piscivorus (cottonmouth) and a small range for Crotalus adamanteus (eastern diamondback). They WONT harm you unless you mess with them. Keep your grass cut short and keep junk piles out of your yard and you should be fine. Whats nice about venomous snakes is that theyre easy to ID. First, look for a rattle. The Crotalids (rattlesnake family) will have rattles, babies will have only a nub with one rattle, which doesnt even work. Many snakes, even non-venomous ones, will rattle their tails in an effort to spook off predators. Just because it shakes its tail doesnt mean its venomous, look for a rattle. Also, look for eliptical pupils. Non-venomous snakes have horizontal round pupils. Venomous snakes in the USA (spare the coral snake) have vertical eliptical pupils (the look like upright footballs). If you notice a snake in your yard, dont kill it, thats just mean. Theyre not there to hurt you and are actually beneficial to you and your health by eating disease spreading rodents. Did you know the average snake can eat 9 lbs of rodents per year! Anyways, just leave em be, theyre more than likely passing through, they want NOTHING to do with you. Just make sure to look where you step and where you reach, as snakes take cover pretty much whereever they feel like it. If you get bit and are unsure of the nature of the snake, take a quick picture and take it to the hospital for ID. If you dont have a camera, kill the snake and bring it with you. But remember this, only 1/10th of 1% of snakebite victims die. Here are a few websites where people would be more than willing to discuss any questions you may have or ID any snakes youve found.

www.venomlist.com
www.venomousreptiles.org
www.arachnoboards.com

Old 12-01-2006, 04:42 AM

8 posts, read 24,885 times
Why would you be worried about snakes? I would be more worried about traffic. I live in a stand of hardwoods, no grass, and I have snakes and all kind of critters everywhere. The deer are my biggest problem. If you don't keep your pets indoors, the cuyotes will kill them.
from Hoschton, GA

Old 12-16-2006, 04:41 PM

17 posts, read 130,509 times
Default I am willing to bet you never see...

...a poisonous snake unless you go to a zoo.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or