Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-21-2015, 02:32 PM

3 posts, read 4,769 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I know there are some threads on this but they appear to be several years old. Hoping for some recent advice.

DH may be offered a job in Athens. I have an offer near the intersection of 85 and 155 (just south of the Peachtree airport).

I would have to commute every day for 6-12 months, but after that would be allowed to telework pretty extensively and only have to commute once every two weeks.

We'd like to rent somewhere in between Athens and ATL for that time, where the commute would be roughly equivalent. Our rental budget is up to $1500-1800/mo (we'd want to rent a single family home). After I was allowed to telework, we would move to Athens.

Please let me know what your suggestions would be for a rental location, and what our commutes would look like. We have one preschool aged child.

Also - we'd both be able to flex our schedules. I could work a 6am-2:30pm schedule to help with the commute.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2015, 02:57 PM

5,621 posts, read 5,930,050 times
Lawrenceville near 316. East of Dacula there isn't much at all. Maybe Winder but your traffic situation takes precedence. And there isn't that much to do. Definitely flex your hours. 85S starts backing up at 615 am.

Old 04-22-2015, 08:56 AM

Thanks so much! We were thinking perhaps Snellville? We need daycare for our child and they have a good one there.

Old 04-22-2015, 09:04 AM

That's actually where I live! Well, between Snellville and Lawrenceville but basically there. Depending on where you live exactly you can take 78 to Athens or the Sugarloaf Pkwy extension to 316. From my house west of Scenic Highway (124), I can be at the exit for UGA in Athens in about 50 minutes pretty consistently taking Sugarloaf to 316. It's a really good area with lots of shops up and down Scenic Highway north of US 78. Your commute won't be fun unless you leave early. When I commuted to Sandy Springs I would leave around 615 during the school year, 630 during summer. Add more time if you live east of Scenic Highway. Just crossing that adds a few minutes.

Old 04-22-2015, 09:08 AM

Thanks!

When you say the commute will be rough, do you mean the commute to ATL or to Athens? Because one of us has to leave later to drop our daughter at daycare at 7, I was thinking I would commute to ATL for a workday of 6-230 (leave at 5:20), and my husband could leave at 7, drop our daughter off at daycare, and be to Athens by 8?

We're thinking that the Snellville-Athens commute will be better than the ATL commute.

Old 04-22-2015, 09:37 AM

Yes the ATL commute will be worse because you'll be fighting traffic. A drive to Athens is long, but there isn't much traffic (maybe IN Athens). Both my parents leave about 530 am to drive to Marietta and to Sandy Springs. If you leave that early traffic on 85 will be thick but pretty much 70+ mph. Local roads in Gwinnett will be pretty empty. 85NB will start backing up in the afternoon around 3 a lot of days (2 on Fridays) but if you get a peach pass you can fly past it and only spend maybe a dollar.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia