Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-12-2006, 04:25 PM

5 posts, read 40,838 times

Advertisements

My family (wife and 2 1/2 year old daughter) are considering moving to Gainesville GA for work. I am in the medical field and there is a good opportunity there for me. We have visited twice and have been impressed... nice medical center, shopping, town square, lakes and not to far to atl and airport. Is there any bad things to know about the area, anyone who lives there or who has lived there with strong opinions??? I have heard there is a high % of hispanics but that's not a big issue for me.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2006, 05:29 PM

2,819 posts, read 10,400,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afcase View Post
My family (wife and 2 1/2 year old daughter) are considering moving to Gainesville GA for work. I am in the medical field and there is a good opportunity there for me. We have visited twice and have been impressed... nice medical center, shopping, town square, lakes and not to far to atl and airport. Is there any bad things to know about the area, anyone who lives there or who has lived there with strong opinions??? I have heard there is a high % of hispanics but that's not a big issue for me.

Thanks
Gainesville does have a high percentage of hispanics, mostly close to the I985 area due to the poultry plants. But then again, Georgia is loaded with every nationality known to man
The only issue with Gainesville is the high concentration of illegals.
I personally would choose Hall over Fulton, DeKalb, and Clayton. It's like anything else, check your area closely. Heck, Gainesville has ghetto and you can also head out Rt53 towards the county line and see homes starting at a million..

One plus Hall has over Gwinnett for now anyway, you don't have to worry about that stupid $25.00 robbery fake exhaust inspection every year

Old 11-06-2006, 12:32 PM

4 posts, read 9,990 times
Smile Hall County? How about Dawson?

Dawson County is West of Hall on the shore of Lake Lanier. Lower taxes, rural, yet with plenty of shopping and attractions. It would be about a 20 mile commute on Hwy 53 to the Medical center. Moderator cut: Removed

We had to move to Ocala, FL to take care of the wife's mom. Dawson is great and I would move back in a heartbeat.

Last edited by xxman777; 11-06-2006 at 03:55 PM.. Reason: Sorry no Advertising outside of Classifieds

Old 11-06-2006, 08:26 PM

31 posts, read 149,160 times
I wouldn't move there anymore. It has changed so much over the years and its not just that there are many latinos there, its that there have been a lot more problems with crime and drugs in the area. I believe Buford is nicer if interested in that area.

Old 11-09-2006, 06:17 AM

10 posts, read 43,130 times
North hall is nice. Quick access to the medical center. Lumpkin and white counties are cheaper to buy homes in. They are north of Hall county. I'm looking at north hall. The schools in North Hall are better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia