Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2015, 12:49 PM

7,582 posts, read 10,772,636 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTarheel View Post
This isn't true...you apparently aren't familiar with Atlanta's other in town neighborhoods outside of downtown/Midtown that have walkability and density - two of the prime characteristic of an urban areas. They may not all have high rises and skylines, but that isn't the only measure of urbanity. There are lots of options like Lindbergh, Little Five Points, Candler Park, Atlantic Station, Decatur, etc. that fit the criteria.
I'm not even sure he is familiar with the differences between the Southern suburbs and the Northern suburbs and that difference is vast.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2015, 01:05 PM

1,535 posts, read 2,373,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygirl1012 View Post
Born to roll, thank you again for sharing your vast knowledge of the state with me. I've been googling all day and it is not at all the backwoods "deliverance" type of area that I imagined.

CSD610, you are absolutely right and I too have concerns about the "free" living situation myself. Friendship only goes so far when living expenses are involved, especially for an undetermined amount of time. Part of my incredible anxiety about this is indeed my own support system. Here at home I am surrounded (quite literally) by a large family that listens and loves me. There, even tho I'd still have the love and support of my family when push comes to shove I would be alone, relying only on phone calls and technology. I've never been 16 hours from my nearest relative and that absolutely terrifies me. I realize I'm an adult but these bonds are what makes me... Well me. If I could pack up a bus load (or 20 lol) of my family members and bring them with me, there'd be no question. But on the other hand, am I willing to lose the love of my life to keep in close physical contact with my family? It's truly a difficult decision especially because in my conversation with him last night, he has no desire to ever come back if things work out down there whereas even if I were to live Georgia, I would want to return at some point, at least until God forbid the day comes when my parents are no longer living for my own peace of mind.
I honest to GOD cannot believe you typed this. You need to read more. JESUS LORD ALMIGHTY.

Being ignorant is not an attractive trait.

Old 06-02-2015, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelstarrs View Post
"You are totally correct about the entertainment angle of my disillusion about the south."

I wouldn't want to move to New Jersey for the same reason. It seems like a miserable place to live - if one considers all the Jersey stereotypes shown in "entertainment". Is that what New Jersey really like? Is it as awful as movies and reality shows make it seem?
New Jersey is mostly suburban and more affluent than average. It has one of the highest median household incomes in the nation.

It also has its bad areas in its aging cities, high polluting industrial areas from industries pushed out of NYC from overgrowth and regulation.

But there are legitimate reasons it is called the Garden State.

There are a few differences I have noticed, although they are often over-exaggerated in the media.

My job has me around lots of people when I travel.

The social attitudes are a tiny bit different.

From a Southerner's point of view people in New Jersey are a bit louder and more brash. I watched how people interacted with their children. They seemed to run around on their own a bit more and could get away with smaller things you couldn't in the South, but when the parents stepped in it was also more abrupt and louder.

People in New Jersey are also more likely to be very direct. Sometimes this makes them very easy to get to know and you discover how warm they actually are and sometimes this will lead you to just want to stay away from some people.

On the flipside Southerner's are more toned town. This goes with the older image of the South being slower and having Southern manners.

The one big thing to note here is in the South being polite up front is more of a standard. The logic is you're polite and everyone has the chance to earn a friend.

In New Jersey that is not always the case, but people also are likely to respond in a way up front that will tell you they will never be your friend or they are likely to be your friend if you don't screw it up

I mention this latter part, because people from the Northeast in general often misread people here on arrival. They think the friendship progressed further along, say some things rather candidly beyond small talk, and the Southerner trying to be polite will not say much. This often leads to the person from New Jersey feeling like people are fake or betrayed them. The Southerner will be left to think the other person is loud or aggressive.

From what I have learned no one is really more or less friendly, fake, warm, less warm, less fake, etc..., but you have to patient with subtle nuances that might be different in how people act at first.

Old 06-03-2015, 04:54 AM

2,014 posts, read 5,101,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTarheel View Post
This isn't true...you apparently aren't familiar with Atlanta's other in town neighborhoods outside of downtown/Midtown that have walkability and density - two of the prime characteristic of an urban areas. They may not all have high rises and skylines, but that isn't the only measure of urbanity. There are lots of options like Lindbergh, Little Five Points, Candler Park, Atlantic Station, Decatur, etc. that fit the criteria.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwkimbro View Post
I'm not even sure he is familiar with the differences between the Southern suburbs and the Northern suburbs and that difference is vast.
Read more carefully. I never said Atlanta was without more walkable, dense neighborhoods than the ones I mentioned. I said a large part of the metro is as I described and it is. The majority of metro Atlanta is not like the areas you just named, and even those still don't feel like the majority of NYC/Northern NJ. It's a totally different ball game up there. Also, according to her post, the place she'll be at is further out than those areas.

I'm on Clairmont in Decatur every few months. While it's certainly more urban than a suburb like Stockbridge or McDonough, it's definitely not close to being as urban as most of Northern NJ. It's a big difference. I'm just trying to paint as perfect of a picture for her as I can.

This is not a knock on Atlanta, not many places can rival the urban areas of NYC/Northern NJ.

Notice her posts. Do you guys really want yet another person from the Northeast who moves there and does nothing but complain and talk about how much better it is up there? She seems like one of those people, IMO. She already "imagined" that somewhere she googled would look like Deliverance.

Last edited by Southern Soul Bro; 06-03-2015 at 05:25 AM..

Old 06-03-2015, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern Soul Bro View Post
Read more carefully. I never said Atlanta was without more walkable, dense neighborhoods than the ones I mentioned. I said a large part of the metro is as I described and it is. The majority of metro Atlanta is not like the areas you just named, and even those still don't feel like the majority of NYC/Northern NJ. It's a totally different ball game up there. Also, according to her post, the place she'll be at is further out than those areas.

I'm on Clairmont in Decatur every few months. While it's certainly more urban than a suburb like Stockbridge or McDonough, it's definitely not close to being as urban as most of Northern NJ. It's a big difference. I'm just trying to paint as perfect of a picture for her as I can.

This is not a knock on Atlanta, not many places can rival the urban areas of NYC/Northern NJ.

Notice her posts. Do you guys really want yet another person from the Northeast who moves there and does nothing but complain and talk about how much better it is up there? She seems like one of those people, IMO. She already "imagined" that somewhere she googled would look like Deliverance.
I believe what you also said was this:

"Despite what anybody from Atlanta tells you, unless you're Downtown or Midtown, majority of the metro area looks no more urban or different than the mid-size metro cities within the state like Savannah, Macon, Augusta, Columbus, etc."

"I'm in any more of a "city" when I'm somewhere like Mcdonough or Stockbridge than I do when I'm in Macon"

And you failed to mention any of Atlanta's more populated suburbs, but mentioned some of the quieter ones on the southside.

The issue I have is you take a county like Gwinnett. It has just shy of 900,000 people. Admittedly, it lacks a traditional cities downtown outside that of what use to be small towns, but despite its car-oriented nature that is a great deal of people in a smaller space to compare it to other cities the way you describe. It is also an issue of scale.

We have areas in our suburbs that have huge concentrations of apartments, office space, and retail space in ways you wouldn't find in a smaller city.

Anyways all of this is a mute point. The OP already told us where and we already warned her in several ways the pros and cons of that area if you'd read the thread.

Old 06-03-2015, 01:57 PM

48 posts, read 69,256 times
I have not logged onto this site in a long time and when I did, your post was the first I saw, and I HAD to respond. I am from NJ...born and raised; Italian family; went to college in Boston. Most of my family moved to GA, so after I graduated I did as well. My advice...be VERY cautious moving here!! I am rooted for now because all of my family is here and I have made some close friends. I have all the things I need and enjoy within a five mile radius (I live in Sandy Springs) but after 6+ years of living here, I still greatly dislike Atlanta as a city. I have never felt it was home and probably never will. The culture shock never ends and a large part of me greatly regrets moving here because now I am stuck with the decision of staying somewhere I dislike to be close to family or moving somewhere I may like and being alone.
I will say that the cost of living cannot be beat and personally I enjoy the weather. Other than that, I cannot say I like much about the city or the surrounding areas. If you do not move to Atlanta directly (and even if you do, you need to be careful exactly where you choose) you will probably be miserable given your background. I do not say any of this to bash the city or its natives and I know a lot of northerns that have loved it but I think those have generally been more established older families. However, given our similar situations, I wanted to give you my advice. If you have any specific questions, please let me know.

Old 06-03-2015, 03:18 PM

10,396 posts, read 11,500,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danak13 View Post
I have not logged onto this site in a long time and when I did, your post was the first I saw, and I HAD to respond. I am from NJ...born and raised; Italian family; went to college in Boston. Most of my family moved to GA, so after I graduated I did as well. My advice...be VERY cautious moving here!! I am rooted for now because all of my family is here and I have made some close friends. I have all the things I need and enjoy within a five mile radius (I live in Sandy Springs) but after 6+ years of living here, I still greatly dislike Atlanta as a city. I have never felt it was home and probably never will. The culture shock never ends and a large part of me greatly regrets moving here because now I am stuck with the decision of staying somewhere I dislike to be close to family or moving somewhere I may like and being alone.
I will say that the cost of living cannot be beat and personally I enjoy the weather. Other than that, I cannot say I like much about the city or the surrounding areas. If you do not move to Atlanta directly (and even if you do, you need to be careful exactly where you choose) you will probably be miserable given your background. I do not say any of this to bash the city or its natives and I know a lot of northerns that have loved it but I think those have generally been more established older families. However, given our similar situations, I wanted to give you my advice. If you have any specific questions, please let me know.
danak13, out of curiosity, what are the factors that have made it difficult for you to adjust to life in Atlanta after having being born and raised and attended college in the Northeast?

It sounds like your experiences would be something that would be important for readers to know.

Old 06-03-2015, 03:30 PM

I was curious too. It was of feelings expressed, but I never got a clear understanding of what aspects you had trouble with or enjoyed for that matter.

Old 06-03-2015, 07:05 PM

1,189 posts, read 1,162,735 times
I hope the sad dude doesn't say "too much sprawl and not enough transit", although he would have a point.

Still, important as they are, there's more to life than regional urban planning and resource management!

Old 06-03-2015, 08:45 PM

23 posts, read 34,734 times
"...some beautiful areas, beautiful beaches, and is generally a beautiful state. I hope people are smart enough to know not to go by the stereotypes."

^^^ Ditto Georgia

That's my point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia