U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2007, 10:06 AM
SHY

2 posts, read 5,014 times

Advertisements

I'm in the process of relocating to Ga from Northern Va at the end of this month. When checking into the schools I notice in order to start 1st grade your child had to be 6 by September 1st. My son will be 6 on September 4th. I thought this rule only applied to school age children going to kindergarten. My son has completed kng and attended summer school.

Has anyone that's relocating or relocated ran across this issue? Any info will be helpful.

I will be getting into with the school board or area school.

Thanks for your advice
Shy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2007, 08:39 PM

3,972 posts, read 11,330,394 times
Once a child has completed kindergarten and first grade, the cutoff date becomes irrelevant. Most systems and the state takes the cutoff date very seriously, so you may be out of luck.

Old 08-07-2007, 02:29 PM

75 posts, read 297,697 times
This is very frustrating. You may have to consider a private school for another year.

Old 08-07-2007, 04:12 PM

4 posts, read 22,252 times
In moving I woul make sure I had at least three months rent, food, child care and etc. This way when it comes to looking for a job you won't just take anything and later hate the job and then hate where you live because you have a job that you hate. Single parents have a very difficult time because there is oonly one form of income. I looked on dca which is the list for sect 8 housing no I do not have sect 8 but the rents are affordable and you do not need section 8 to move in but if you look you may find something affordable. Continue looking in the newspaper and submit your resume and cover letter via email to different agenicies. Line up a few interviews. I would definitly rent this way you can take your time to choose what you really want buying a house is like a marriage In renting you can sign a 3 month or 6 month lease and look somewhere else if you are not happy. with a house you have to find someone to buy you out. Well good luck

Old 08-07-2007, 06:18 PM

75 posts, read 297,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHY View Post
I'm in the process of relocating to Ga from Northern Va at the end of this month. When checking into the schools I notice in order to start 1st grade your child had to be 6 by September 1st. My son will be 6 on September 4th. I thought this rule only applied to school age children going to kindergarten. My son has completed kng and attended summer school.

Has anyone that's relocating or relocated ran across this issue? Any info will be helpful.

I will be getting into with the school board or area school.

Thanks for your advice
Shy
Shy, I was just checking some information on the GA department of ED site and here is what I found about the rule concerning schools if you are relocating. It seems your child will be able to attend first grade. I hope this helps.

A child who was a legal resident of one or more states for a period of two years immediately prior to moving to Georgia and who was legally enrolled in either a public Kindergarten or first grade, or a private Kindergarten or first grade accredited by a state or regional association, would be eligible to enroll in Georgia schools, provided that the Kindergartner is five years old by December 31 or the first grader is six by that date

Old 08-07-2007, 06:59 PM

12 posts, read 50,772 times
You may want to check out some of the public/private school sites and then determine where to live based on your desired school. Elementary districts are pretty small in ATL. Here's the site for Atlanta public schools: Atlanta Public Schools: Our Focus... Student Success! (http://www.atlanta.k12.ga.us/content/apshome.aspx - broken link)
Good luck to you!

Old 08-08-2007, 08:22 AM
SHY

2 posts, read 5,014 times
Thank you all for the information and advice. It has truly been helpful in my search and smoothing out the wrinkles in my move.

Thanks again,
Shy

Old 08-09-2007, 02:09 PM

1 posts, read 2,490 times
Default Also Planning To Move To Ga From So. Fla

Hello, I'm very sorry that the time you have spent in ATL. has been a disaster. I'm also a single mother in my late twenties looking to find a better life for my three young children. The oldest is nine he is in the third grade and I have two small girls who are 3 and 4. I am planning on moving to ATL. next summer and I'm planning to make that my home. I'm also in the health field with atleast 8 years experience. My question to you is, was it hard for you to find a job in your speacialty and why? It seems to me that all the web sites that I have been on re: jobs in ATL. have had plenty of job openings. AND WHAT AREA ARE YOU LIVING IN CURRENTLY? I haven't picked an area yet I was considering maybe Fulton County but I haven't made a decision yet. Do you have any suggestions? JUST TRYING TO MAKE IT TIFFANI
Quote:
Originally Posted by blessed07 View Post
I am a single mother of twins.After care is not that hard to find. I moved here from So. Florida last year June and I regret it completely!!!! Employment is hard to get & the pay is not that great. I'm in the Hiram (Dallas) area and it is hard to find a job that will pay you over $9.00 an hour. I do have years of work experience in the health field and I also have my Bachelor's degree. I have signed up with every staffing agency in the area & in Atlanta. I have also applied at Wellstar hospitals. I had to work as a substitute teacher, which pays $7.50 an hour and pays once a month to get some money in. I would not jump & buy a house here like I did. Rent first if you want to test the waters here. The traffic is terrible!!!! I miss Florida terribly & I am planning on moving back.

Old 08-09-2007, 06:23 PM

115 posts, read 496,265 times
Default Moving To Georgia Also

What Is The Cost Of Living Comparison In Marietta, Kennesaw, Woodstock, And Columbus. Prospects For Jobs As A Truck Driver And Surgical Technician And Where There Are Close By Churches. Are These Areas Diverse. Is The Traffic Bad In Those Areas. I Wanna Try To Avoid Going Into Metro Atl.

Old 10-22-2007, 10:38 AM

21 posts, read 109,746 times
Try Gwinnett County. There is a place there for ALL income levels, and I've been a single mother for many years and have relocated a couple of times. I used money I had from my income taxes. Gwinnett County has the fastest growing, but, I feel, the best school system in Ga. It's got everything that you could want in that area at your fingertips. I'm not sure what you do, but I think EVERYONE could get a job in Gwinnett.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or