Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2015, 05:42 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,924,564 times

Advertisements

I can't offer much insight on Sylvester, but I wish more people on this forum had your attitude. You sound fairly young, ambitious, adventurous and open-minded. There's no better time in life for you to take a leap like this. The worst that can happen is you don't like the area or the job doesn't work out and you end up going somewhere else. Or it could end up being a life-changing move! Best of luck and let us know what happens!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2015, 06:20 PM

46 posts, read 60,521 times
Thank you, Newsboy. As you can see I'm new to City-Data and forums in general. My research and questions are as if someone had asked me about the small town I live in now. What would I say to them...hmmm. Telecommunication Technician jobs tend to be very all-encompassing. I think that's why I like small and rural communities. To be the area's "phone guy" and really become part of the community and an excellent ambassador for my company. I know from experience having taken an early-retirement package from a Baby Bell during one of the frequent mergers. There are still places for a mind-set of responsibility, respect and taking ownership of one's actions instead of a one size fits all and disposable employee. I'm looking at a few other small town opportunities mostly in the Western US with other Telco's. We'll see if AT&T is forward enough thinking to hire someone with my experience and point of view. Last thought, if you see or hear of other opportunities, please give a shout out. Thank you, sincerely.

Old 05-25-2015, 10:01 PM

1,039 posts, read 2,426,208 times
I am somewhat familiar with some areas of Southwest GA which is rather flat in comparison to other areas of GA. My advice for you is to look in and near Tifton for a rental if you get a job in Sylvester. Sylvester is OK itself, but it's so small, you basically have 2 streets for the downtown area. You would drive to Tifton or Albany for shopping or going out to eat that is not fast-food. Personally, I would not choose a place going towards Albany. Another thing is Tifton is at 75, so that is more convenient for you, when you go traveling. Overall, that area of GA is economically depressed and has seen better days. The people in the area are generally friendly so I find that appealing about small towns in general. Tifton has more to offer and would be probably your best choice. If you don't mind 4+ months of humid, sweltering summers, you may just like it. Just to give you an idea, if I lived in Southwest GA, I'd choose either Tifton, Valdosta or Thomasville to live. The other towns there are just too limiting or too small. Let us know how things work out.

Old 05-26-2015, 08:02 AM

7,480 posts, read 6,260,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idphoneguy View Post
Are there any residents of Georgia that are familiar with Sylvester? There just became available a fairly secure position with the phone company there. My research finds it is small and rural, just the way I like it. Any other insights? Available rentals to get started? I'm coming from a mountainous area in Idaho. No one knows a small town like the long term residents. Thanks
I haven't lived in Sylvester, but I have lived in South Georgia, Albany and Baxley.
Myself I like the area. It will have sandy soil, flat land and lots of pine trees. It does have its charm. I no longer live in that area, but I have fond memories of walking barefoot down a sandy road.
You should be flexible in pursuit of a job. You are young and can always move if you don't like it and it will give you more experience.

Old 05-26-2015, 10:53 AM

Thank you BerkeleyLake and Southern Man. Very helpful. Tifton being larger and only 21 miles away may have the better rentals as you say. It is important to me to be part of the community that I serve. I'll "Go ghetto" as they say. I don't mean that in a derogatory sense at all. Just low price to get started. All the more intimate thoughts are helping put a picture in my mind. I will update the status and where the near future takes me. Thank you again.

Old 05-26-2015, 11:06 AM

7,480 posts, read 6,260,559 times
Quote:
Thanks JoeTarheel. It is the only opening in Georgia for the Job Title I'm looking for. After 24-30 months "Time in Title" with the Union contract, I would be able to transfer to other openings. I've looked up and down the Adirondack's for openings with the company. Safe to say that those openings are snatched up quickly. I wonder if my Idaho accent will be recognizable in south GA? JK. Sylvester looks like a nice, quiet place. Hope I hear more about it. Thanks again
They will love your accent and call you a yankee, even tho you are from out west.

Old 05-26-2015, 11:20 AM

Being from a rural, mountainous countryside should give me some commonality with the locals. No prima donna here. Nothing better than bake sales on Sunday and a glass of cold sweet tea to make me feel at home. And that whole yankee thing will soon be forgotten.

Old 05-26-2015, 12:25 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,924,564 times
Quote:
Being from a rural, mountainous countryside should give me some commonality with the locals. No prima donna here. Nothing better than bake sales on Sunday and a glass of cold sweet tea to make me feel at home. And that whole yankee thing will soon be forgotten.
You will be just fine. You might even find a sweetheart.

Old 05-27-2015, 06:48 PM

1,388 posts, read 2,256,785 times
Sylvester is typical small town south GA or south AL or rural deep south ....in other words. Depressed economy, few new jobs, difficult economies, not so great schools, but...

If you like rural America, have a good job, bring your own job, or don't need one, and don't depend on the public schools....you can live very well in a place like Sylvester. Housing and land costs are really cheap. There are few cosmopolitan entertainment options, but if you prefer staying at home or are an outdoorsman...South GA is pretty great.

It depends on what you want out of life. Many north GA folks don't like south GA much....there are significant differences, but if you like rural, and dont need to worry about schools or career opportunities. south GA can be nice. I know many who live like kings there who would be middle class in most of America. You have to visit to see if it is for you. It might be...give it a chance.

Old 05-27-2015, 07:08 PM

Thank you midgeorgiaman. Those are great things to hear. While the position I'm hoping for would be considered a "good job", I really am down to earth and love living in a rural setting. I've found in my experiences that the higher the population usually equates with less of a community feeling. I think we've all tried different living conditions at one time or another. I'm happy to say I know what I want. Like I said in an earlier message; bring on the Sunday bake sales and cold sweet tea. Oh, and a broken phone line so I can make repairs.... Thanks again, Sir.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia