Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2015, 03:54 PM

7,582 posts, read 10,764,755 times

Advertisements

Norton,

I think you are mistaken from the numbers you copied over from your source.

Ultimately, it isn't a past-present difference. There are many great things about Georgia's cities, but they still haven't achieved the wealth of their counterparts further north.

I'd highly recommend comparing the BEA's GDP by Metropolitan areas. It really highlights where the wealth is and where the money is flowing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2015, 03:55 PM

6,610 posts, read 9,028,420 times
This is all fine, but it's kind of hard to talk about GA while excluding 1/2 of the state (Atlanta). You can compare the other cities all day, but the fact is that Atlanta has more people and a higher GDP than the entire state of SC. It's hard to ignore that part of it.

Old 05-30-2015, 03:57 PM

6,610 posts, read 9,028,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwkimbro View Post
Norton,

I think you are mistaken from the numbers you copied over from your source.

Ultimately, it isn't a past-present difference. There are many great things about Georgia's cities, but they still haven't achieved the wealth of their counterparts further north.

I'd highly recommend comparing the BEA's GDP by Metropolitan areas. It really highlights where the wealth is and where the money is flowing.
...unless you include Atlanta (as it should be) - then Georgia blows them out of the water. It's pretty hard to discuss Georgia while excluding Atlanta.

Old 05-30-2015, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTarheel View Post
This is all fine, but it's kind of hard to talk about GA while excluding 1/2 of the state (Atlanta). You can compare the other cities all day, but the fact is that Atlanta has more people and a higher GDP than the entire state of SC. It's hard to ignore that part of it.
Joe,

This isn't a state vs state match.

We are discussing the question by the OP. The reason I'm asking we ignore Atlanta is it brought wealth to the area for very special circumstances that will not apply to Georgia's secondary cities. We are lucky to have the Geographic gem that became Atlanta, but it doesn't change where wealth is in the American South in the smaller cities and the rural landscape.

Old 05-30-2015, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTarheel View Post
...unless you include Atlanta (as it should be) - then Georgia blows them out of the water. It's pretty hard to discuss Georgia while excluding Atlanta.
Again, this is not a state vs state match.

We are discussing the question directly posited by the OP

Old 05-30-2015, 05:04 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,909,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwkimbro View Post
Again, this is not a state vs state match.

We are discussing the question directly posited by the OP
Except there's one fact that simply can't be ignored (and this is the point that is being made): If not for Atlanta (if the metro area DID NOT EXIST) there is absolutely NO doubt that each of Georgia's 2nd tier cities would be MUCH larger and MUCH more influential than they are today. Given the geography, natural resources and history of Georgia, it is 100 percent safe to assume that -- had Atlanta never been founded -- Macon, Augusta, Columbus and Savannah would ALL be large metros on the scale of the Carolina metros, if not larger. I'm talking MUTLIPLE METROS with 1-2 million residents. Everything about this state would be different -- from the state capital and certer of commerce, politics and education to the interstate system.

It is absolutely impossible to answer the OP'S question without acknowledging the very real fact that Atlanta's history, size and influence has affected growth in other parts of the state. How can Georgia's 2nd -tier cities grow to be rival Carolina cities? Roll back History 150 years and ELIMINATE ATLANTA!

Old 05-30-2015, 05:09 PM

2,663 posts, read 4,842,054 times
Macon does have a higher GDP than Florence....

Macon 8.5 Billion
Florence 8.0 Billion

http://www.usmayors.org/metroeconomi...311-report.pdf

Old 05-30-2015, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
Except there's one fact that simply can't be ignored (and this is the point that is being made): If not for Atlanta (if the metro area DID NOT EXIST) there is absolutely NO doubt that each of Georgia's 2nd tier cities would be MUCH larger and MUCH more influential than they are today. Given the geography, natural resources and history of Georgia, it is 100 percent safe to assume that -- had Atlanta never been founded -- Macon, Augusta, Columbus and Savannah would ALL be large metros on the scale of the Carolina metros, if not larger. I'm talking MUTLIPLE METROS with 1-2 million residents. Everything about this state would be different -- from the state capital and certer of commerce, politics and education to the interstate system.

It is absolutely impossible to answer the OP'S question without acknowledging the very real fact that Atlanta's history, size and influence has affected growth in other parts of the state. How can Georgia's 2nd -tier cities grow to be rival Carolina cities? Roll back History 150 years and ELIMINATE ATLANTA!
But comparison purpose you must.

This also is a big assumption that all the development in Atlanta would be spread around in Georgia and has no impact on other cities in the Southern region.

Most of the investment and boom Atlanta got was from outsiders needing to access a hub that could bring in supplies from across the south and energy (coal) from the Midwest and access the heavy population of the northeast.

The issue is for comparison purposes with the exception of state government institutions the effect Atlanta had on investment from the South would have been very real for the Carolinas (especially south Carolina) , eastern Tennessee, and Alabama.

All the development Atlanta attracted, if the lynchpin fro the southern Appalachians didn't exist, could have gone to a number of places well outside Georgia as well. Atlanta wasn't built to access Georgia's resources, it was built as a hub to access resources across the south, the lower Midwest, and get coal energy.

Greensboro, Columbia, Charleston, Chattanooga, Birmingham, etch... are not immune from those amen affect just because there is a state border.

Old 05-30-2015, 07:11 PM

1,327 posts, read 1,911,505 times
I made this thread primarily to focus on what our cities are missing that their Carolina counterparts have. Folks have beaten the Georgia city vs city to death, but I see very few that ask why the Carolina cities are doing so much better. Outside of huge tax breaks for large corporations and increase competition what are the Carolina's cities doing that are making them so much larger both in population and GDP? Personally I think it has to do with better connectivity and the increase of money into its larger areas as opposed to Georgia. While Atlanta may be the king of the south and the face of the state, the rural sectors of Georgia particularly South Georgia own the state. The state pours money into rural Georgia sometimes at the expense of Atlanta's infrastructure. In both Carolina's in seems to be the opposite. Riding on the interstate through most rural towns and you can tell the states haven't done anything with them. South Georgia continues to build 4 lane divided highways with very few users.

Old 05-30-2015, 07:15 PM

1,327 posts, read 1,911,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta-Kid View Post
Greenville isn't included?
Greenville is kind of it's owm beast. It's really not comparable to any city in Georgia. It has no large military installation nor major university, I mean Clemson is near but it's in Clemson and not Greenville.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia