Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2008, 10:00 AM

14 posts, read 95,335 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Limaro View Post
I am preparing to move to the Macon area, and am in need of some advice. I will give you a basic run down:

I am moving from the Oklahoma City area
I have 2 elementary aged children
I am from North West FL (originally)

Specifically, I am looking for an area that is safe, with all the amenities that any family would enjoy (parks, extra curricular activities for my kids, convenience to shopping, restaurants, etc...), good schools (from reading other posts Houston County is a good option for schools). We will be stationed at Robins, but would commute for quality of living. Thoughts?
bonaire ,centerville .warner robins the best . great schools , good houseing
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2008, 07:12 AM

Location: Halfway between Number 4 Privet Drive and Forks, WA
1,516 posts, read 4,589,470 times
Quote:
but you do not want your kids going to Fort Valley, it's a long bus ride
Yes, it's pretty far out if you live anywhere in Byron, but Peach County High School's test scores are excellent...

Old 01-29-2008, 08:44 AM

138 posts, read 675,635 times
But the Peach Co. Bd.of Ed. has some issues.

'Badly dysfunctional' BOE may be hurting Peach economy (broken link)

Old 01-29-2008, 08:50 AM

Quote:
But the Peach Co. Bd.of Ed. has some issues.

'Badly dysfunctional' BOE may be hurting Peach economy
That has nothing to do with how the schools are performing. The BOE for Peach County is dysfunctional and I don't see anything getting better with that until next elections.

However, Byron Elementary, Byron Middle, and Peach Co High schools are excellent. As a matter of fact, Peach Co High's scores are better than Northside High and Perry High School's (imagine that ) and are right inline with Houston County High AND Warner Robins High

So, yes our school board has issues (because members can't play nice with each other), but YES, our schools are great!

Last edited by PotterGeek; 01-29-2008 at 08:59 AM..

Old 01-29-2008, 11:33 AM

29 posts, read 86,805 times
I get so many conflicting reports: Macon is Heaven...Macon is a hellhole, Stay away from Peach County, Peach County is awesome...Houston county is the best area, Houston County is just an extension of Macon, with all the same problems..... I think I am just going to rely on my own judgement and hope for the best....

Old 01-29-2008, 12:06 PM

Quote:
I get so many conflicting reports: Macon is Heaven...Macon is a hellhole, Stay away from Peach County, Peach County is awesome...Houston county is the best area, Houston County is just an extension of Macon, with all the same problems..... I think I am just going to rely on my own judgement and hope for the best....
I think you get alot of people that think their own turf is the best (sort of like gangs, it's really quite amusing....)

I have personally lived in Macon (grew up there), lived in Warner Robins (7 years), and now living in Byron (6 years). All three towns are good in their own ways. You just have to determine what is most important to you. Speaking from personal experience and having lived in all three areas, I myself prefer Byron.

(I have one child in Byron school system and my daughter will be starting same school system in the fall. So yes, schools are very important to our family).

Good luck!

Old 01-30-2008, 01:54 PM

511 posts, read 2,476,541 times
Relying on your own judegement is the best way to go, having great information that users provide on this site is just a bonus, but when it comes down its all about what you want whether its the Great City of Macon, or the Great City of Warner Robins its kinda hard to go wrong in Middle Georgia, but each city has it differences both negative and positive.

Old 01-31-2008, 08:11 AM

138 posts, read 675,635 times
Default Sorry leavingbyron

Quote:
Originally Posted by leavingbyron View Post
That has nothing to do with how the schools are performing. The BOE for Peach County is dysfunctional and I don't see anything getting better with that until next elections.

However, Byron Elementary, Byron Middle, and Peach Co High schools are excellent. As a matter of fact, Peach Co High's scores are better than Northside High and Perry High School's (imagine that ) and are right inline with Houston County High AND Warner Robins High

So, yes our school board has issues (because members can't play nice with each other), but YES, our schools are great!

I wasn't slamming the school district. Sorry if I came across as doing so.

Old 01-31-2008, 12:08 PM

66 posts, read 246,960 times
I did enjoy my year in Kathleen GA. Unfortunately a job promotion forced me to move to Colorado.

Still have an absolutely beautiful house in Kathleen for sale or rent!!

PM me for details!!

Old 02-01-2008, 11:18 AM

29 posts, read 86,805 times
We will be in the area in early March for a few days. I am planning on checking out Bonaire, Kathleen, Perry, Byron, W Robins, and the city of Macon. I will let you know an outsiders opinion once I see the area for myself. I appreciate all of your assistance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia