Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-09-2015, 05:37 PM

4 posts, read 15,362 times

Advertisements

Hi, all! New to this message board. My husband and I are planning to move to Dahlonega in a year, hopefully sooner if I can convince him. I was born and raised in Florida, but my heart has always had a special love for Georgia, especially Dahlonega.

I've done some searching, but I'm having a hard time finding apartments/townhomes/rentals. It looks like most of the apartments are student housing. Is this the case?

It took me forever to convince the hubs to move away from the beach life, and Dahloega is the only option.

Any other advice about how to make this move as seamless as possible is much appreciated, too.

I appreciate your help in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2015, 06:31 PM

10,362 posts, read 11,402,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wibbitwibbit View Post
Hi, all! New to this message board. My husband and I are planning to move to Dahlonega in a year, hopefully sooner if I can convince him. I was born and raised in Florida, but my heart has always had a special love for Georgia, especially Dahlonega.

I've done some searching, but I'm having a hard time finding apartments/townhomes/rentals. It looks like most of the apartments are student housing. Is this the case?

It took me forever to convince the hubs to move away from the beach life, and Dahloega is the only option.

Any other advice about how to make this move as seamless as possible is much appreciated, too.

I appreciate your help in advance!
Yes, because Dahlonega is the site of one of two main campuses of the University of North Georgia, much of the rental housing in the town is student housing.

Outside of much of the rental housing in the town being aimed at students attending UNG, many of the housing options that are available are going to be relatively modest because Dahlonega is basically a small rural mountain city that is a college town.

Unless one is willing to consider some relatively modest housing options, there may not necessarily always be an abundance of housing options available to consider.

Old 06-09-2015, 06:43 PM

What are these modest housing options you mention?

Old 06-09-2015, 07:07 PM

744 posts, read 2,476,107 times
Dahlonega is a beautiful place to relocate to. It not only is home to North Georgia College& State University , it also is the home to camp Wasega (sp?) army base.Plus it is a prime location that a lot of people want to relocate to ( retirees ).Rentals can be found but understand they are at a premium.If you see one you like be prepared to act quickly on it (like that day kind of quick! ) .
If I were you ,I'd do an online subscription to the local paper ( The Nugget - I think a one month online subscription is something like $8.00). I would check on rentals on sites like Zillow, Craigs list ( they are under the Atlanta area ) .I would join the Dahlonega Yard sale site on facebook ( people posts they are looking for rentals or have rentals all the time on these ).
Also you might posts what you are looking for where you are in Florida . A lot of mountain properties are owned by Floridians who in many cases are not full time residents in North Ga.Who just use them briefly or for some reason can not make it up there for a long periods of time .I have heard of this happening before .

Last edited by go falcons; 06-09-2015 at 07:08 PM.. Reason: spelling

Old 06-10-2015, 09:28 AM

10,362 posts, read 11,402,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wibbitwibbit View Post
What are these modest housing options you mention?
I mean that you are not necessarily going to find mcmansions (mini-mansions) and larger single-family homes on seemingly almost every corner like you might sometimes find several miles south down US Highway 19 (Georgia 400) closer to Atlanta.

There is still a lot less development in and around Dahlonega (Lumpkin County) then there is in the Atlanta area.

By no stretch of the imagination is the Dahlonega area overdeveloped like further to the south in metro Atlanta or like most places throughout Florida, though many of the locals might think that an area like Dahlonega and the North Georgia Mountains region has entirely too much development already.

Because there is not necessarily the kind of super-heavy overdevelopment that one might find in heavily-populated areas like metro Atlanta or much of Florida, living options may not necessarily always be the easiest to come by like go falcons mentioned.....Which is why the advice that go falcons recommended in helping one to find a place to stay is excellent advice.

Old 06-14-2015, 03:33 PM

1,457 posts, read 1,384,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by go falcons View Post
Dahlonega is a beautiful place to relocate to. It not only is home to North Georgia College& State University , it also is the home to camp Wasega (sp?) army base.
Camp Merrill - Army ranger training base. OooRah!

Quote:
Plus it is a prime location that a lot of people want to relocate to ( retirees ).Rentals can be found but understand they are at a premium.If you see one you like be prepared to act quickly on it (like that day kind of quick! )
As the Florida housing bust continues, it puts pressure on the rental market. If you are truly interested in living up here - plan on spending at least $1k on just about any decent rental home. Even mobiles go for $750-800.

Quote:
Also you might posts what you are looking for where you are in Florida . A lot of mountain properties are owned by Floridians who in many cases are not full time residents in North Ga.Who just use them briefly or for some reason can not make it up there for a long periods of time .I have heard of this happening before .
Come up this summer and get a rental. Don't wait till winter - when nothing is available.

Old 06-24-2015, 04:09 AM

Sound advice, thank you all.

So all of the apartments are only for students? We don't necessarily have to rent a house. Maybe it would fee vest to get an apartment and watch the house listings until something comes up.

Are these for students? Any input on these?
Houses For Rent in Dahlonega, GA and Other Dahlonega Rentals

Moving across town is exhausting. I can only imagine how stressful and exhausting this out of state move will be.

Old 06-24-2015, 04:32 AM

744 posts, read 2,476,107 times
Though many of your neighbors might be students, not all of them will be . You will see a real mix of people and ages in these complexes .Retirees who don't want a yard , or are in the process of looking for homes, Soldiers and their families from the base , college staff and so forth.

Old 06-24-2015, 03:17 PM

Yes! That gives me hope yet! They are much more affordable than my current apartment, $1029! Heck of a difference in price.

Old 06-27-2015, 06:20 AM

1,189 posts, read 1,157,810 times
Was there yesterday, although for a work related visit. Even so, very pleasant experience. Had a little extra time, so was able to slow roll on some of the back roads around there. Just in that regard, let alone the hospitality, can understand why the area holds a special place for the OP.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia