U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2006, 04:07 PM

51 posts, read 266,053 times

Advertisements

I have no idea of what you are looking for, or what price range you are thinking of....in downtown Kennesaw (within the city limits), there are several older subdivisions that you can still buy a 3 bedroom/2 bath house with a finished basement and a decent size yard for $140,000 - $180,000. You would be close to good schools, parks, the lake, and mountains, shopping, restaurants...just about anything you want. Check out the City of Kennesaw website for more information about the area. Personally, I think the housing market has gotten out of hand. I bought my house when it was 8 years old...we opted for a house with 2 acres and put in a pool, remodeled and we are not in mortgage debt in the process. I see the older homes and I know a lot of them are built better than the newer ones, because my husband (who is a general contractor) points things out to me all the time. There are several class action suits against builders because of how they built their homes. Don't just look at the prices of homes, check for how they were built and ask questions. It seems like they start building a house one day and a month later it is up for sale!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2006, 10:48 AM

426 posts, read 2,168,262 times
When you see square footage values on Realtor.com they are measuring only the living space. The garage or attic space isn't included.

Old 11-14-2006, 12:50 PM

38 posts, read 181,411 times
You can still find some houses in the low to mid 100s in the farther out suburbs of Atlanta metro. It just depends on what you are looking for. You will be probably an hour or more away, even worse in traffic, to the city. So, if that isn't an issue I would look in Jackson county. I personally think that area is still pretty rural, but many people are moving there and love it. If you need to work in the city and don't want to drive for 1.5 hours per day then that might not be an option for you. There are also some fixer uppers and condos that might work for you closer in. The best option would be to get together with a realtor and have them do some research for you on new and used homes. That price point is going to either be in an "up and coming area" in the city (not very safe) or farther away. Each county has different tax rates and the closer to the city, the higher they are. The Atlanta metro is HUGE so that is why a realtor would be able to best help you. As for brick construction, most houses here are wood and just have brick on the front, or possibly all sides. The lower price points probably won't be brick though, they will probably have siding on them. To give you an example, I live about 30 mins from the city (in no traffic) in Gwinnett and own a townhome. I paid $209,000 2 years ago and it is now worth $235,000. It has 3 bedrooms, 3 baths, a 2 car garage and is in a nice area. My taxes are about 1.25% of my value. The same exact home would probably run between $350,000 and $600,000 in Atlanta and taxes are usually around 1.5% of the value. You might want to consider renting prior to buying so that you can further research the area.
Good luck!

Old 11-14-2006, 05:26 PM

2,909 posts, read 13,162,621 times
Thanks for the advice. Remember that OH and WV are on the top of my considerations. Georgia houses cost more than twice what I can get in WV or OH. The good thing about Georgia is they have some very nice new developments for around $200k that is absent in OH and WV. If I can get an equally big and nice house for less than half the price in OH or WV, the slight location advantage of Georgia isnt worth the huge price premium!

Old 11-16-2006, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tt00 View Post
Hey that 2nd home belongs to silvercreekcommunities. Just google them & you will found them. It is the Kensington floor plan. I wanted to buy from that builder but they keep rasing their prices but they have nice floor plans.

Wow. How much did they used to want and what do they want now? That is one of the builders I researched! Their prices still arent bad, far, far more reasonable than in south Florida! Still, OH and WV are my top choices to relocate to. Much cheaper than Georgia. Granted ill be looking at an old house that might need a little fixin, but that cant be beat for $50k!

Old 01-19-2007, 07:59 PM

291 posts, read 1,267,425 times
Hello,
Can you find a nice safe home with a basement and two car garage, mostly brick for 160 or so? In a safe nice area? Is that expecting too much? Thanks!

Old 01-19-2007, 10:20 PM

I dont see why not. $160k is alot of money and should easily get you a nice 3 bedroomer or possibily a 4 bedroomer. For those that have $200-250k they can get a huge 5 or 6 bedroom 2 story brick house with basement on a huge lot

Old 01-20-2007, 07:15 AM

104 posts, read 489,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need_affordable_home View Post
I dont see why not. $160k is alot of money and should easily get you a nice 3 bedroomer or possibily a 4 bedroomer. For those that have $200-250k they can get a huge 5 or 6 bedroom 2 story brick house with basement on a huge lot

We are looking at spending 250-300k, could you point me in the direction of the above mentioned homes, I can't seem to find them that big for that little.

Old 01-20-2007, 08:05 AM

129 posts, read 601,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiffani View Post
We are looking at spending 250-300k, could you point me in the direction of the above mentioned homes, I can't seem to find them that big for that little.
check out Henry county, there is growth everywhere and still very affordable, especially in that price range I think you would be pleasantly surprised..

Old 01-20-2007, 11:16 AM

6 posts, read 37,008 times
Try to search gamls in your browser
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or