U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2007, 03:33 PM

2,909 posts, read 13,163,237 times

Advertisements

I dont think ill be considering Georgia after all, it has serious crime problems. Sure theres cheap houses but my safety comes first. Ive been told to stay away from Atlanta and surrounding areas. City-data crime index shows over 1000 crime, although its gone down slightly recently but still extreme with 100+ murders annually! South Georgia also has high crime of 600-900 depending on the city. That crime keeps house prices low and is why they are so affordable, many areas have houses for under $50k!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2007, 04:38 PM

233 posts, read 1,150,221 times
The houses under 50k are usually in the not so good areas. I know in some of the less desirable areas here you can get a home for under 40k. Investors usually buy these and rent them out to college students or such. But in other areas you need 100K+ up to 1M+

Old 01-21-2007, 07:45 PM

This is why I stated that much of Georgia has a serious crime problem. That state is affordable but not safe enough for me, the safe areas are too expensive, sorry I am not rich. I would live in Georgia if I was good at self defense and also had a good security system.

Old 01-21-2007, 08:07 PM

10,146 posts, read 20,803,528 times
To say that Georgia is not safe is simply absurd. Just what are you afraid of?

I imagine that I could take you on a road trip, crisscross the state, and find limitless numbers of safe locations for you to live in. I'm not a realtor, merely a practical minded - not rich nor particularly good at self defense - person.

You are in more danger driving down the highway than you are living in inner city Atlanta. You could live in a cute little commune, have your own yurt with highspeed internet, if you wanted to. You could live in a converted grain silo in a small town or a concrete bunker, if it would make you happy. I imagine we could even find you a two bedroom ranch style house in the country for around $50K if we did a bit of research.

I know we're not supposed to get personal on this forum, so as a friendly human, one to the other - I double dog dare you to really investigate.

Old 01-21-2007, 09:31 PM

Ellie, I couldn't agree more. What does one define as safe any ways. You can look at crime statistics all you want. Just because they are low, doesn't mean that you are safe. No one is really safe anymore. Look at those poor children out there that aren't even safe in their homes with their parents. Living life isn't safe. Taking precautions while you are out anywhere, is the key to making it. Always be aware of your surroundings and don't put yourself in a position that can cause more danger. I think you can make anywhere safe for your family. I learned my lesson the hard way. I thought I lived in a safe place. I was commuting from home to college and my world was perfect. I didn't pay attention to things like I should have. I was naive. Because of that, I became a victim of crime.

Old 01-21-2007, 11:12 PM

You live in Pooler, a small city of about 10k people and an above average crime index. How did you become victim? it is never the victim's fault you should not blame yourself! No one has the right to commit a crime, I hope they rot in jail!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellie View Post
To say that Georgia is not safe is simply absurd. Just what are you afraid of?

I imagine that I could take you on a road trip, crisscross the state, and find limitless numbers of safe locations for you to live in. I'm not a realtor, merely a practical minded - not rich nor particularly good at self defense - person.

You are in more danger driving down the highway than you are living in inner city Atlanta. You could live in a cute little commune, have your own yurt with highspeed internet, if you wanted to. You could live in a converted grain silo in a small town or a concrete bunker, if it would make you happy. I imagine we could even find you a two bedroom ranch style house in the country for around $50K if we did a bit of research.

I know we're not supposed to get personal on this forum, so as a friendly human, one to the other - I double dog dare you to really investigate.

Crime is the biggest factor for me. One good reason I want out of West Palm Beach is it's 900+ crime index. Dont believe me? You can read the news, a terrible crime happens daily! We had a burglary in my own gated neighboor so even I dont feel safe. My moms car has been broken into before. Lots of bad things happen in a high crime index area. You can be careful but criminals dont care, they are random and steal whatever car they want or break in whatever house looks good.

My extent of investigating Georgia was looking at Realtor com and the crime index. All the southern Georgia places have a high crime index. Theres a few safe towns but then the houses are expensive. I may have overlooked a town or small city, please recommend them by name and I will have a look at them. Thanks so much.

Old 01-22-2007, 06:49 AM

As many people have already said, no place is free from crime. If you got far enough into the woods, a bear might eat you. Actually, studies have shown that active urban neighborhoods are safer than desolate ones.

Socio-economic status won't protect you either, as you noted in the car burglaries in your own gated community. Criminals are drawn to signs of wealth and signs of weakness. People who think they are safe frequently let their guard down.

It is never the victim's fault, but it is everyone's responsiblity to be as careful as possible. But regardless, things can and will happen. It's part of being alive on this planet.

If you're really seeking advice, you should pm some of the people you've met through this forum and sincerely listen to what they are telling you. There are plenty who would like to see you happily settled and who would be more than happy to serve as a support system if you need future advice.

As for examples of small towns in GA with potential homes in your price range, there are the towns of Fitzgerald, Parrott, Colquitt, and Glennville. Parrott indeed has a brick ranch style, in your price range, as I predicted earlier.

There was a post not long ago on the best small towns in GA, maybe you've read it? This info is coming directly from people who know and love these communities.

Crime statistics in small towns can be skewed by one bad incident at a local roadhouse on the outskirts of town, or a pair of bored teenagers who get their jollies breaking into cars. If you only have a population of 2000, it makes crime look like it is out of control.

If you really want to find an affordable home, I sincerely believe that you are intelligent enough to do so.

Don't let us down!

Old 01-22-2007, 12:15 PM

What happened to me, happened in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. It was while I was in college and still young. There are always good deals somewhere. If you don't mind a little work, you can look into foreclosures.

Old 01-22-2007, 08:33 PM

Fitzgerald=unknown? Parrott=not listed on city-data. Probably very tiny town. Only one house for sale, a tiny brick house, I prefer bigger. Colquitt, another tiny unlisted town with only 2 choices. I cant afford Glennville.
There is affordable homes in Georgia, I just dont really like any of them, most are too small, no basement and/or in a high crime zone. I know this is my opinion. I do like those new development $200-250k 3000 living square feet houses with basement and acreage lots. Ive found much better houses in safer towns in other states. Also Georgia is subtropical so its hot 9 months of the year, its mild winters are a plus though.

Old 01-22-2007, 08:42 PM

Sorry, did the best I could. But I can't work miracles.

I'm sure you'll keep us posted as your search progresses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or