Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2006, 04:03 PM

2,909 posts, read 14,084,144 times

Advertisements

http://www.atlantanewhomesdirectory.com/images/mls/1892950.jpg (broken link)

The above is an example. Its in a new development and they want near $200k for it! This one is about 3200 total square feet(estimated 2400 living) 5/3/2 with basement. House may be made of bricks(which I want!)

http://www.atlantanewhomesdirectory.com/images/mls/1994171.jpg (broken link)

This is the biggest house I can find that the developers plan and doesnt cost into the millions. Its supposed to be a hair over 5000 total square feet 6/5/3 with basement. They want just over a quarter million for that beauty!

I mentioned two examples. I cant afford either, how much will prices drop a year from now? How much will I save if I buy one in a forclosure sale/auction?
North Georgia has some of the more reasonable prices and is a great location. Lots to do in the metro Atlanta. I know I can get a $50k house in a small town in OH or WV but I might get bored there as theres few shopping/entertainment. Also that $50k gets you a 100 year old house that might need a little TLC. Georgia is a much better location and many other reasons id prefer Georgia if I can afford it, house prices have gotta drop more. I know they will never be $50k, but perhaps low to mid $100s?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2006, 04:39 PM

5 posts, read 39,550 times
Default Nice Home

Quote:
Originally Posted by Need_affordable_home View Post
http://www.atlantanewhomesdirectory.com/images/mls/1892950.jpg (broken link)

The above is an example. Its in a new development and they want near $200k for it! This one is about 3200 total square feet(estimated 2400 living) 5/3/2 with basement. House may be made of bricks(which I want!)

http://www.atlantanewhomesdirectory.com/images/mls/1994171.jpg (broken link)

This is the biggest house I can find that the developers plan and doesnt cost into the millions. Its supposed to be a hair over 5000 total square feet 6/5/3 with basement. They want just over a quarter million for that beauty!

I mentioned two examples. I cant afford either, how much will prices drop a year from now? How much will I save if I buy one in a forclosure sale/auction?
North Georgia has some of the more reasonable prices and is a great location. Lots to do in the metro Atlanta. I know I can get a $50k house in a small town in OH or WV but I might get bored there as theres few shopping/entertainment. Also that $50k gets you a 100 year old house that might need a little TLC. Georgia is a much better location and many other reasons id prefer Georgia if I can afford it, house prices have gotta drop more. I know they will never be $50k, but perhaps low to mid $100s?
Where can I get more information about the second house in your picture?

Old 11-11-2006, 04:56 PM

2,819 posts, read 10,402,127 times
If you search you can find it in GA. The key is you need to really check the areas, it might be cheap but lookout. In my area homes are still going up, up, up. however, the Atlanta metro area has over 90,000 homes on the market and it also ranks with one of the highest foreclosure rates.

Keep searching Need,

If you find this post valuable please click below.

Old 11-11-2006, 05:04 PM

Positive reputation for you! Id be honored to recieve some.

Atlanta has very high crime so perhaps I can get in a suburb of Atlanta? Wow lots of forclosures, perhaps I can get one cheap at an auction. Do you have instant messenger? Id love to talk to you more about this!

Old 11-13-2006, 10:34 AM

426 posts, read 2,322,100 times
The Atlanta Metro's home prices will continue to rise, not fall unfortunately. The area is still experiencing a population boom and during these booms developers raise prices because they know people will buy. You can still find new homes in the Metro area in the low to mid 100s though. Most of these developments are in the exurbs in counties like Paulding, Forsyth, and Rockdale Counties. Conyers in Rockdale is a very built up area and is only about 30 minutes east of Atlanta. If you don't have children and dont't care about the local schools you should also consider a move to Clayton County. It's only 20 minutes south of downtown and like 10 minutes from the airport. The area is built up as well and for its great location it is suprising how cheap the homes are down there. Some subdivisions actually start in the $90s. None of the new subdivisions there have homes over $250,000 so the area is very affordable. I hope I've helped in giving you some areas to check out.

Last edited by stvincent; 11-13-2006 at 10:43 AM..

Old 11-13-2006, 10:45 AM

51 posts, read 287,509 times
When you say Atltanta....Do you actually mean the city of Atlanta?

There are a lot of older homes throughout the town I live in where you can get a home, in a nice established subdivision for a very reasonable price. I live n the city limits of Kennesaw...and we have some great schools, parks, and family activities for families. I like Acworth as well...and Cartersville and Canton are nice areas as well. I'm in Cobb County...and the commute to Atlanta would depend on the time of day and traffic.

Old 11-13-2006, 02:15 PM

340 posts, read 1,576,869 times
Quote:
[IMG]

These houses are not made of bricks. They are wood frame with brick siding. Even much expensive houses are made that way. It's hard to sell exsiting houses like that.

Old 11-13-2006, 02:36 PM

48 posts, read 222,484 times
We found a 6/3 in Dacula (it has a lawrenceville address though)... it's about 3600 sq ft (living space) w/ some added up-grades we are paying $249,000

Does anyone know if this is the norm in that part of town? I'm wondering what the average income is in this area also.

After reading posts about good homes being in not so good neighborhoods I am most deffinetly going to drive all around the surrounding areas of my new community. I will be up next weekend, can't wait!

Another concern I have is how quickly the homes are built in GA. I waited about a year before my home was ready in S. Florida while the builder in GA is telling me the house will be done and ready in 4 months! I know our codes here in Florida are very strict because of the hurricanes, how is it in GA? And are there a lot of tornados? How about snow? One person says none and the next has another comment.

Sorry about all the questions, but so far this forum has given me great help!!

Old 11-13-2006, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stvincent View Post
The Atlanta Metro's home prices will continue to rise, not fall unfortunately. The area is still experiencing a population boom and during these booms developers raise prices because they know people will buy. You can still find new homes in the Metro area in the low to mid 100s though. Most of these developments are in the exurbs in counties like Paulding, Forsyth, and Rockdale Counties. Conyers in Rockdale is a very built up area and is only about 30 minutes east of Atlanta. If you don't have children and dont't care about the local schools you should also consider a move to Clayton County. It's only 20 minutes south of downtown and like 10 minutes from the airport. The area is built up as well and for its great location it is suprising how cheap the homes are down there. Some subdivisions actually start in the $90s. None of the new subdivisions there have homes over $250,000 so the area is very affordable. I hope I've helped in giving you some areas to check out.

Then I may be priced out if it keeps rising. Ill buy in an exurb then. Are used houses supposed to be cheaper? I searched the realtor and MLS and they want too much, I can get a new development house for a little less! Question: When they give the square feet figure, I assume its total square feet because it looks "bigger" when they include garage and basement. If it was living square feet, shouldnt they mention it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by irish2 View Post
When you say Atltanta....Do you actually mean the city of Atlanta?

There are a lot of older homes throughout the town I live in where you can get a home, in a nice established subdivision for a very reasonable price. I live n the city limits of Kennesaw...and we have some great schools, parks, and family activities for families. I like Acworth as well...and Cartersville and Canton are nice areas as well. I'm in Cobb County...and the commute to Atlanta would depend on the time of day and traffic.

I dont need to be in Atlanta proper, but a suburb nearby is fine. What are houses going for in the cities you named? Any big brick houses with many bedrooms and basement?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CityFan View Post
These houses are not made of bricks. They are wood frame with brick siding. Even much expensive houses are made that way. It's hard to sell exsiting houses like that.

Thanks for the correction! Do they even make 100% brick houses anymore like they used to in the past? Can they make a concrete house and stick bricks on the cement/concrete so it both looks nice and is very sturdy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabound View Post
We found a 6/3 in Dacula (it has a lawrenceville address though)... it's about 3600 sq ft (living space) w/ some added up-grades we are paying $249,000

Thats a good size! Is the total square feet something like 4800-5000? That price your paying comes out to $69/foot(living) which makes it a good price! That is about 2.5x cheaper than in my neck of the woods(south Florida) Would cost easily at least $600k+ here!

Positive reputation for all of you! Thanks for those replies

Old 11-13-2006, 03:44 PM

340 posts, read 1,576,869 times
Quote:
Thanks for the correction! Do they even make 100% brick houses anymore like they used to in the past? Can they make a concrete house and stick bricks on the cement/concrete so it both looks nice and is very sturdy?
I don't know exactly whether there are any 100% brick new homes, but from what I have seen so far, all houses are built with wood frames. If you really want a 100 % brick new home, it has to be custom build. I had hunted for a home for 6 months after moving to Atlanta, I finally decided to choose a high rise condo instead to get steel and concrete structure. If you like to live in burbs, chances are slim for you to find a brand new brick home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia