Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2015, 04:11 PM

681 posts, read 1,044,904 times

Advertisements

So I was raised in Washington, GA. Lived in Florida for many years, currently in Oregon, been around to say the least, although now I'm thinking about moving back to be closer to family. I'm familiar with both Augusta and Athens but not as a resident. So I ask those here to help me find one to focus on in terms of finding work and a job until I can relocate back to Florida. So hopefully i can find a job that I can also transfer to Florida after some time in. I'm a single 35 year old white male. No kids, no pets, just me. I have an IT background, customer service and tech support experience and an AS in computer information technology.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2015, 11:04 AM

Location: Augusta, GA ''The fastest rising city in the southeast''
7,507 posts, read 15,093,442 times
Augusta is much bigger and will offer more jobs in the fields your looking into. Athens maybe a better place for college age students, but definitely not for a single 35 year old made.

Old 06-30-2015, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nortonguy View Post
Augusta is much bigger and will offer more jobs in the fields your looking into. Athens maybe a better place for college age students, but definitely not for a single 35 year old made.
It is true Augusta is much bigger, and closer to S.C border so getting to the beach would be a little closer drive to Savannah, although I've found Athens to be more atmospheric in appearance.

Old 06-30-2015, 01:09 PM

105 posts, read 149,230 times
Athens all of the way. Augusta is just bland.

Old 06-30-2015, 02:51 PM

Location: Augusta, GA ''The fastest rising city in the southeast''
7,507 posts, read 15,093,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlaud12 View Post
The hate on this board is sad... I've always wondered how somebody that is suppose to be from 'Atlanta' spends 95% of the time posting in the Columbus subforum.

Old 06-30-2015, 05:26 PM

515 posts, read 631,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlaud12 View Post
Considering what the OP is looking for, Augusta would obviously be the best fit, so I'm not sure where your'e going with that, but you have admitted to not liking Augusta anyways, so why would you even be commenting on an Athens vs Augusta relocation thread, when you aren't actually giving anyone any help or a clear analysis of either city, but instead giving your clearly biased opinion. Your opinion is your opinion, and that's good for you, but not when someone is actually trying to make a decision that could effect their life and really need to know which is the better choice. That facts are that Augusta has more of what he is looking for, not that your opinion would change that anyways though.

Old 06-30-2015, 11:13 PM

6,610 posts, read 9,028,420 times
Both are nice cities, but I would choose Athens simply because of proximity to Atlanta. Athens also has a livelier bar scene due the university and is very walkable. I recommend visiting both for at least a weekend before you make a decision.

Old 07-01-2015, 12:17 AM

4,582 posts, read 8,968,017 times
Personally, I would go with Athens.

Athens is commutable distance to large business/job centers in Gwinnett County and parts of the northeast Atlanta suburbs.

Old 07-01-2015, 04:43 AM

70 posts, read 72,301 times
I would go with Athens and even give Watkinsville a try.

Old 07-01-2015, 11:03 AM

Growing up in Washington, I was about an hour between both cities, I've spend many weekends in both. I had considered Atlanta but it has a reputation and makes the list of one of the higher crime rates in the country, I'd even considered Conyers. I do plan to get back into college eventually to so Athens would be beneficial. That being said I do feel Augusta may have more opportunity for a good job/career.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia