U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2006, 07:11 AM

2,819 posts, read 9,539,858 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Need_affordable_home View Post
If Georgian house prices catch up with Florida, few people will want to live in Georgia when they can live in Florida instead! Not gonna happen, Georgia will always be cheaper. I was thinking of considering Georgia but I guess ill probably just choose a small town in WV or OH where none of the problems exist and houses are dirt cheap.

Have to disagree. When looking at home averages you cannot take the state as a whole. In Florida, Miami and Naples are the price killers in the state with Orlando not to far behind.
For example in the Atlanta metro area you can have areas that equal Naples and even exceed Miami (Buckhead for example) Also, Atlanta station has condo's coming in exceeded 400k.

The Atlanta burbs where I live exceeds housing costs in Jacksonville, FL where my brother lives.

Another example not to far away on a small route aka as Braselton Highway. New developments on the Gwinnett side starting at 600K to 1 million plus.

The above on the RE front can also be looked at on another compared to Florida, which most folks miss. That is in regard to taxation. Where my other brother, who lives in Naples, pays equal property taxes as me. Yes, his home insurance is now $1,000.00 higher, but he does not incur income tax where I and the rest of Georgia folks get the 6% hit.

It is all relative. Only advice on moving to another state to escape "cost" is to make sure you check not just your home cost, but everything surrounding your new possibility of residence.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2006, 08:03 AM

2 posts, read 7,153 times
Default I Agree

I am presently living in South Florida and hate it too! I agree with everyone in reference to the expense. G-d gave the weather for this destination, however, why should we be punished by it? There are no business ethic nor jobs for those less fortunate who have to work. Has anyone tried to reply to an ad...ex: Co, unknown, Salary: N/A, responsibilities: doctorate, reply to: N/A. this is rediculous are we individuals. I am coming with you...let's get our act together and leave...
Maxine

Old 11-29-2006, 02:18 AM

2,909 posts, read 13,170,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgia View Post
Have to disagree. When looking at home averages you cannot take the state as a whole. In Florida, Miami and Naples are the price killers in the state with Orlando not to far behind.
For example in the Atlanta metro area you can have areas that equal Naples and even exceed Miami (Buckhead for example) Also, Atlanta station has condo's coming in exceeded 400k.

The Atlanta burbs where I live exceeds housing costs in Jacksonville, FL where my brother lives.

Another example not to far away on a small route aka as Braselton Highway. New developments on the Gwinnett side starting at 600K to 1 million plus.

The above on the RE front can also be looked at on another compared to Florida, which most folks miss. That is in regard to taxation. Where my other brother, who lives in Naples, pays equal property taxes as me. Yes, his home insurance is now $1,000.00 higher, but he does not incur income tax where I and the rest of Georgia folks get the 6% hit.

It is all relative. Only advice on moving to another state to escape "cost" is to make sure you check not just your home cost, but everything surrounding your new possibility of residence.

I can get a house in or near Atlanta for $200k for a new development and their biggest or one of the biggest models too, like 4000 total square feet. If you are going to compare the most expensive area in Atlanta, you need to do an apples comparsion and compare the most expensive area in Florida. Yes there are very expensive upper class houses in Atlanta exceeding a million. We have lots of million dollar houses here all over and we have houses much more expensive than anywhere in Atlanta. We dont have cheap houses, $200k wont get you much of a house here whereas you can get a brand new huge house in a nice new development community in or near Atlanta.

Florida doesnt have a state income tax but houses cost twice as much, property taxes higher, insurance way higher and jobs pay less. I would love to live in Georgia if they had nice houses for $50k, cant afford $200k.

Old 11-29-2006, 07:09 AM

1,418 posts, read 9,515,721 times
I hear a lot of complaining from people on this board and the Florida board that there are no jobs in areas where rich people retire. Everyone wants to live where the rich people retire, but think its unfair that there are no jobs, so they can't afford to live there.

WHAT A LOAD OF GARBAGE!!! There are jobs everywhere, especially where rich, old, retired people live. They own big expensive houses right? 5,000 sf houses with pools, and other amenities need a lot of maintenance. Old people get sick more often than young people - I'm sure there is a great need for doctors, nurses, physical therapists, occupational therapists, and assistants. I'm sure these people need accountants, lawyers, and good financial planners. Rich old people need to eat. Rich old people need to be entertained. Rich old people need people to help them with their $50,000 media rooms, their $10,000 alarm systems, their $8,000 computer systems. Rich old people still like to go fishing and hunting, but might need a little help. Many people who service rich old people need small apartments and homes to rent - so invest in some rental properties for to house these folks.

Anyone who complains that there are no jobs where too many rich old retired people live have "cubicle blindness", and ain't look'n to be productive.

Old 12-30-2006, 07:13 AM

442 posts, read 2,745,522 times
Come To central Florida...Its getting bad here... Traffic is HORRID ( i suppose thats with any major city) People here just don't want ot work...there are tons of jobs yet you see most either begging for Money on the street , of paying for the T bone Steak with Their WIC check..My Husband And I work Hard for what we have, and To have to pay The outrageous Taxes and Home Insurance when others don't just IRKS me ....People talk about Racism in GA.. No you have 'nt seen it till you come to Central Florida and Live.. Its becoming like Miami, where hardly a sole speaks English...and Our Wondergful OUT GOING (thank GOD) Gov, has done nothing but fowel up the Public school system....
I really Feel sometimes that im Living in California because of the high cost of living...IM sure as you say that GA will eventually become the same but so will the rest of the US

Old 12-30-2006, 07:30 AM

41 posts, read 194,631 times
Hi I Also Live In Orlando An Looking Into Ga Have You Looked Into Peachtree Ga Our You Going To Retire

Old 12-30-2006, 07:43 AM

42 posts, read 60,174 times
[quote=gabound;163790]Gosh, what part of Florida are you talking about? As it's a fairly large state... especially since I live in South Florida and it's becoming more and more upper class! That's why so many people are vacating, it's just not affordable![/QUOT

Well in the Central Florida area crime has been sky rocketing recently and frankly a lot of the criminal element they say is moving up from South Florida. I believe people are leaving Fl for a multitude of reasons and while cost of living and traffic are among them, crime and low quality of life is definately up there as well.

Old 12-31-2006, 06:24 AM

442 posts, read 2,745,522 times
I would love to live in Poeach Tree City, but i think its to far form My husband job.. we need to be close to Athens...
Right now we live in Kissimee..the crime is not so bad in kissimee , we do have it but its not as bad as Orlando ,holy jiminey its bad there...
I refuse to go to orlando with out someone with me....
I lived very near Detroit ( the Murder capital????) for most of my life and i tell ya i would still do this day walk down the streets of Detroit by my slef at night then walk the streets in orlando ....the crime down here is random...they could care less why they commit the crime or who they commit it to, but up north its all about money......
not here they just kill to kill.its a thril.....

Old 05-13-2007, 10:19 PM

28 posts, read 187,187 times
Well I just moved to Canton, GA Bridgemill subdivision - our home is over 4500 sq ft. for $420,000 . In Ohio where we came from this house will sell for $900,000. You can find cheaper nice homes around Atlanta if you look around. This area is north of Atlanta... we love it out here. Wish the traffic was lighter (we both work) - but the trade off for sitting on the deck and looking out over Lake Allatoona.

Old 05-15-2007, 12:32 PM

1 posts, read 3,251 times
Default Georgia Sucks

I would advise anyone moving from FL to GA not to. I moved for Ocala,FL to rural-ish GA two years ago and its been nothing but hell. The people are nice, but it is extremely backwards here. No industry, few jobs, the public education is a joke.(FL public schools rank above GAs) I can see why some people move here due to low housing prices and the HOPE(but I still think they are crazy).

If you like uneducated, 16 year old teenage single mothers, low paying dead-end jobs and a laughable education system that cares about sports more than education, come on up. I simply cant wait to finish my degree and move out of this state for good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or