U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2007, 07:02 AM

1,418 posts, read 9,512,259 times

Advertisements

If you're looking for a rural getaway, you aught to look at Ellijay. They have some of the friendliest people around! It's real easy to get their from Atlanta, too. Clayton already has a Walmart and a Home Depot - too over developed, they're 4-laning 441, and lots of infighting with the local politicians just lets these developers run all over this town.

Better yet, check out the Lookout Mountain area in NW GA. Great views, land's still fairly cheap, and you're only about 45 minutes from Chatanooga. It's called "Georgia's Forgotten Corner".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2007, 09:05 AM

1,088 posts, read 5,908,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHNNYCOUNTRY View Post
Ellijay its just the suburbs of atlanta.
I think it is pretty inaccurate to say Elijay is a suburb of Atlanta. The town is a two hour drive without traffic to the city. I knew a girl who lived up there and went to GSU. She would only drive during none rush hour and it would take her 2 hours. She said if she did it during rush it would be at least 3. I have other friends who grew up in Elijay (and still know many who live there) and they don't know one person who commutes down to Atlanta. The Elijay area is turning into a bit of a vacation spot for the metro area, but certainly not a suburb. There aren't any major developments going on in the area. The closest significant development is in Jasper and even there it is still minimal.

Old 01-29-2007, 09:48 AM

89 posts, read 97,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxman777 View Post
I think it is pretty inaccurate to say Elijay is a suburb of Atlanta. The town is a two hour drive without traffic to the city. I knew a girl who lived up there and went to GSU. She would only drive during none rush hour and it would take her 2 hours. She said if she did it during rush it would be at least 3. I have other friends who grew up in Elijay (and still know many who live there) and they don't know one person who commutes down to Atlanta. The Elijay area is turning into a bit of a vacation spot for the metro area, but certainly not a suburb. There aren't any major developments going on in the area. The closest significant development is in Jasper and even there it is still minimal.

Yeah it is a stretch but give it ten years and itll be there. But I actually know quite a few people who commute to Atlanta from Ellijay for better pay reasons. Our cost of living is high up in these hills but our payscale is very low so some go to Atlanta for work. I personally find nothing good or great about the Ellijay area I just thinks it atlanta folks play ground on the weekends and thats it. The worst thing to happen to North Georgia is them building 515 and a lot of locals and natives believe that also.

Old 01-29-2007, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prichard View Post
If you're looking for a rural getaway, you aught to look at Ellijay. They have some of the friendliest people around! It's real easy to get their from Atlanta, too. Clayton already has a Walmart and a Home Depot - too over developed, they're 4-laning 441, and lots of infighting with the local politicians just lets these developers run all over this town.

Better yet, check out the Lookout Mountain area in NW GA. Great views, land's still fairly cheap, and you're only about 45 minutes from Chatanooga. It's called "Georgia's Forgotten Corner".

Im country Prichard and do you really see Ellijay as being rural??? Theres nothing rural about subdivisions being built everywhere. Which no local folks buy into these subdivisions its usually outsiders. The same type of greedy developers which dont give two craps about the area there destroying are in Ellijay and BlueRidge also. I personally hate whats happening to this area and they way the mountains are being raped on a daily basis. What once were horse and 4 wheeler trails are not lots for yuppies from the city to buy there cute little vacation homes with a view..a view of another cabin looking right at ya. So I say send them to Clayton..Clayton is definetly better then Ellijay.

Old 01-29-2007, 10:51 AM

Johnny, you've lived up in those parts for a long time. Tell me, if you and the majority of people up there don't like all of these vacationers buying homes up there, who's electing the local politico-fat-cats into office that are raping your land? These are local folks, not vacationers - vacationers can't even vote!

Why don't y'all just pass a law or something that says something like - all new houses, cabins, etc. need to be built on nothing less than 10 acres. Existing houses, trailers, etc. are grandfathered in. That would take the wind right out of all those people moving to Blueridge/Ellijay. I'm sure you won't care if you were surrounded by weekend warriors spread out by parcels of 10 acres each. Heck, that's a lot of privacy!

Quote:
Im country Prichard and do you really see Ellijay as being rural??? Theres nothing rural about subdivisions being built everywhere.
It's been two years since I've been in Ellijay. I remember it as being pretty rural, but from what you're saying, it sounds like it's changed some. Blue Ridge and Morginton seemed to have all of the new cabins and little houses being built. FWIW, I'd love to see the locals in Gilmer, Fannin, and Rabun counties stop all of the subdividing and development. They just won't, because they smell "green". I'm just saying, the vaccationers aren't your problem - I bet you know exactly who and what your problem is - better than I do, perhaps.

Last edited by Prichard; 01-29-2007 at 11:00 AM..

Old 01-30-2007, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prichard View Post
Johnny, you've lived up in those parts for a long time. Tell me, if you and the majority of people up there don't like all of these vacationers buying homes up there, who's electing the local politico-fat-cats into office that are raping your land? These are local folks, not vacationers - vacationers can't even vote!

Why don't y'all just pass a law or something that says something like - all new houses, cabins, etc. need to be built on nothing less than 10 acres. Existing houses, trailers, etc. are grandfathered in. That would take the wind right out of all those people moving to Blueridge/Ellijay. I'm sure you won't care if you were surrounded by weekend warriors spread out by parcels of 10 acres each. Heck, that's a lot of privacy!
Yep it is the locals that only see this land for money and dont care about preserving the mountains and the land. They turn into a city and run to eastern Kentucky and do the same to that area. While the locals that dont want whats happening here have no choice but to be stuck in the burbs. You should check out Ellijay and see how fast its changed in two years its crazy. Walmart.Lowes..Longhorns.Ruby Tuesdays..etc. I wouldnt mind it at all if people wouldnt build homes on multiple acres but developers dont want that. They buy 65 acres and subdivide them into one acre lots. Prichard you mentioned you were looking to buy a home in Blue Ridge at one time but the prices were two high..you should see them now. Singlewides and mobile homes on one acre or sometimes less are going for over 130 grand its crazy. Its not the fault of all the Floridians and Atlanta folks buying there second homes up here they just have to understand what there doing to this place. Everything that makes people wanna visit here is being taken away from this area. Grandparents handed down their farms and their grandkids sell out in a second. Im thinking of moving outta here though just like many of the locals. Im even thinking of some little farm town up north and just make do. I checked out one area up there and can find a nice home in the country for close to 80 thousand the same home here would sell for over 200 thousand. The taxes really arent that bad considering the home and the services I would be getting. North Georgia used to be nice but well now it just sucks and is only getting worse.

Last edited by xxman777; 01-30-2007 at 02:07 PM.. Reason: Fix Quotes

Old 01-30-2007, 10:05 AM

I'm really sorry to hear that Ellijay is being cut up into tiny pieces by the developers - none of that stuff was there two years ago, man it's changed fast. Same thing is happening in Clayton - not my doing or liking. Good thing I bought enough acerage back off of a dead end dirt road where I don't think I'll see any new construction for quite some time.

I know that it's the children who have inherited family farms that's doing all the dirt-dividing. It's all about Greed. The solution is so simple, but Greed stops these people from restricting their land so that it can remain a family farm for decades to come. Right now I sit on land that can be divided into about 4 lots. I'd be glad to join all of my neighbors to restrict our land so that it can't be subdivided. My property wouldn't appreciate as much, but I don't care. I found the perfect secluded piece of land, and I could care less if someone would pay me a plug nickle for it, or $1,000,000 - either way, IT AIN'T FOR SALE! Not unless all of my neighbors sell out to developers and the mountain turns into a 1-acre house farm.

There are many places in the mountains of Colorado where families have sold off the development rights to their farms. Sure, those farms are now more of "hobby farms", and the owners have money. But, at lesat they are still farms with a good amount of acerage, preserving the beauty and rural nature of those areas. The same thing can be done in N. Georgia, but the little brats that went to college and went to Atlanta to live want to sell off mommy and daddy's family farm so they can buy fancy cars, sparkly diamonds, and rolex watches - you know, all of the stuff that really matters.

I tried to buy a 5 acre tract right outside of Morginton. The seller wouldn't sell me the adjacent extra acre, because he figured he could make more money by putting a dinky little house on it. Don't know whatever happened to that property, but I walked away - I could see what these folks were up to.

Johnny, at least you're not a sell-out like some of the other locals up there - good to see that some of the voting citizens really don't approve of all of this subdivision greed. How come you all can't vote yourselves into office and stop all of this subdividing?

Old 01-30-2007, 11:35 AM

Yeah Prichard my neighbor behind me which Ive known for a while and hes actually one of these second home owners told me he would let me have a couple of acres behind my house a buffer zone if he ever sells out. He knows they would turn his property into a subdivision and he knows that would be a bad situation for both me and the people who buy into that subdivision. Congrats that you found some property you love and I like the idea that you see it as your place and not and investment. Theres not enough people anymore with a home is a home mentality and not a peice of investment. Ellijay aint bad for city folks but If you like country living and youre living in Ellijay then ya aint country even if you own a John Deere lawn mower...good talking to ya.

Old 01-30-2007, 12:00 PM

21 posts, read 61,515 times
Default Floridiot

I Looked At Property In Ellijay And Talked To A Realtor When He Brought Out The Map And Showed Me The New Development That Was Going To Be Cut Up Into 1/4 Acre Lots. We Left Town Instantly. If Wanted To Live On Top Of My Neighbor I Would Do That In Florida. I Feel For The People That Have Lived There All Their Lives. Turned Out We Bought In Clayton But We Have A National Forest As A Front Yard And Bought 3 Acres It Was Less Than We Wanted But Hopefully They Won't Start Selling The Forest. I Would Move Tomorrow If I Could Make A Living There. But For Now I Will Dream Of Retirement In Those Hills. I Agree With Both Of You If You Love Someplace Enough To Want To Buy There Don't Try To Change It. If You Have To Have A Night Life And Want That Buy In A City. When You Slice Up Land Like That No One Gets There Slice Of Heaven. Just Look At This Board And See How Many Of Us Floridiots Want What You Have. Keep Your Property Intact And 5 Years From Now You Will Be Sitting On A Gold Mine Because Alot Of People Want Large Tracks Not Small Lots. Then You Can Move To Florida And See How Great It Is To Live On 1/4 Acre In A Gated Community. Hows That For An Investment.

Old 01-30-2007, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hacholly View Post
I Looked At Property In Ellijay And Talked To A Realtor When He Brought Out The Map And Showed Me The New Development That Was Going To Be Cut Up Into 1/4 Acre Lots. We Left Town Instantly. If Wanted To Live On Top Of My Neighbor I Would Do That In Florida. I Feel For The People That Have Lived There All Their Lives. Turned Out We Bought In Clayton But We Have A National Forest As A Front Yard And Bought 3 Acres It Was Less Than We Wanted But Hopefully They Won't Start Selling The Forest. I Would Move Tomorrow If I Could Make A Living There. But For Now I Will Dream Of Retirement In Those Hills. I Agree With Both Of You If You Love Someplace Enough To Want To Buy There Don't Try To Change It. If You Have To Have A Night Life And Want That Buy In A City. When You Slice Up Land Like That No One Gets There Slice Of Heaven. Just Look At This Board And See How Many Of Us Floridiots Want What You Have. Keep Your Property Intact And 5 Years From Now You Will Be Sitting On A Gold Mine Because Alot Of People Want Large Tracks Not Small Lots. Then You Can Move To Florida And See How Great It Is To Live On 1/4 Acre In A Gated Community. Hows That For An Investment.
Yeah its to bad that most Floridians that are coming up here arent like you two. They love all these subdivisions being built up here and most subdivisions lots are bought by Floridians. I cant understand why they would want to move away from something and then try to change the area to become like just what they left. A lot of them that moved by me came here and the roads were dirt..well the first thing they want is to have the roads paved. Then they want more stores and places to eat basically they want what they left behind. I wont stay here to long I cant go anywhere without seeing Florida this and Florida that. I dont Prichard and you can be considerided Floridiots because you seem to understand why some Floridians in this area arent the most popular people. I really hope the forest doesnt sell the land near you the country lifestyle is great I just dont know how long it will last. Im glad you seen that Ellijay is not the place but watchout developers are looking at Clayton and even yall will be like oh no hear comes more people up from Florida.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia