Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2015, 03:15 PM

5 posts, read 15,758 times

Advertisements

Thanks, 'Bro, oldhousegirl and Sedimen! I thought Dahlonega was pleasant for July. I would never say that about July in Houston. I assume the first first settlers came during Oct-Jan and thought it was a good place to stay. We are looking for 4 seasons, cooler shorter summers and occasional snow.

Last edited by Soon Ex Texan; 09-09-2015 at 03:41 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2015, 03:39 PM

Thanks, Caleb Longstreet! What a great name! Fortunately, we will be retired by Dec. so work commutes won't be an issue. Although I'll probably find a job or volunteer just to get the feel for the culture.

I'm glad the racism isn't as bad an issue as it seemed. These little towns are the whitest places I've ever seen. Houston is like the U.N. You really get to enjoy the mix of nationalities. I'm going to miss Mexican, Indian and Vietnamese food. We're pretty laid back and don't let other people's opinion bother us. I could definitely tell the socio-economic spectrum was missing a large percentage of middle class.

I could tell that Dahlonega had gone through some changes in the recent past. Like some money ran through there in early 2000s. I saw the War Memorial, the library and the baseball field and family park behind the new Justice Center.
I'm hoping Fresh and Frugal is a decent store.

We have added Blairsville-Helen-Hiawassee area to our search. Certainly gorgeous mountain views. After Houston, any rise in topography is deeply appreciated. I have a friend who likes to camp around Blairsville and will soon buy a house as well. She is only familiar "vacation people" so its is good to have your insight as well. So sad when the young feel there is no where to go. I was surprised at the crime rate in Union County. However, relative to Houston, its not so bad. We've had 4 burglaries and just had an intruder in walk in on me two months ago (he screamed first).

Old 09-09-2015, 03:40 PM

Thanks, Go Falcons! 19 miles doesn't seem like much especially compared to the reward of 3 state parks!

Old 09-09-2015, 04:20 PM

7,582 posts, read 10,772,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soon Ex Texan View Post

I could tell that Dahlonega had gone through some changes in the recent past. Like some money ran through there in early 2000s. I saw the War Memorial, the library and the baseball field and family park behind the new Justice Center.
Sadly I don't know Houston as well as I would for Dallas. Atlanta actually compares very well to Dallas in this regard.

So hopefully I don't butcher this comparison to much.

Imagine if you took the wealth growing into The Woodlands, towards Sugarland, and West Houston/Post Oak and combined it together and all grow in mostly one direction.

That isn't too far away from what has happened in Atlanta. Most of the wealth has grown northwards and most growth in general has grown northwards. I'd say Houston is a little more balanced in comparison.

Forsyth Co., which I mentioned early is the continued suburban growth of this trend. It has one of the two highest median household incomes in Georgia. It is very homogeneously upper-middle class, without the extreme wealth, lower-middle class, or poverty.

This has led to the counties further north to attract some sparse, but wealthy exurban growth, a surge in retirement housing, and a large boost in people looking for a day trip get away. This has really helped the are establish better local eateries and shops from traffic from day visitors.

I'd also argue in the last few decades the Hope Scholarship provided a huge boost into the demand for public college in Georgia. While the University of North Georgia is no UGA, GT, or GSU, it is attracting more students from North Atlanta that couldn't get into higher demand universities. I think the student quality at UNG is better and wealthier than it would have been several decades ago, so it provides an economic boost to the town center.

In other words the small town retail landscape is pretty good and even more affluent that its own population could handle.

Old 09-09-2015, 04:55 PM

5,621 posts, read 5,935,590 times
Quote:
Thanks, 'Bro, oldhousegirl and Sedimen! I thought Dahlonega was pleasant for July. I would never say that about July in Houston. I assume the first first settlers came during Oct-Jan and thought it was a good place to stay. We are looking for 4 seasons, cooler shorter summers and occasional snow.
Oh yea summers in Atlanta aren't that bad. I was at A&M for four years. My first day moving into my dorm it was 106. Dahlonega will rarely push 95. Might be humid or stuffy, but never really hot.

You won't find much mexican food in the mountains, but every once in a while head to the Atlanta burbs. Quite a high population for a state not bordering Mexico. Also have high populations of east and south asians.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwkimbro View Post

Imagine if you took the wealth growing into The Woodlands, towards Sugarland, and West Houston/Post Oak and combined it together and all grow in mostly one direction.

That isn't too far away from what has happened in Atlanta. Most of the wealth has grown northwards and most growth in general has grown northwards. I'd say Houston is a little more balanced in comparison.
Basically, combine I10 and Westpark, and that's 400. Myriad of jobs and wealth spreading north from downtown much like west of downtown Houston. The really large homes in the memorial area, that's north Atlanta-Buckhead. The jobs from the Galleria area to Westpark and the Beltway, that's Buckhead to Perimeter Center at 400/285. Jobs in the energy corridor, that's 400 in Alpharetta/Roswell. Cinco Ranch/east Katy, that's the residential part of Alpharetta. Go out further to the actual Katy, throw in some Cypress flavor mixed with a slight Conroe/east Texas feel, you've got the ever expanding, ever changing Cumming. Now move the hill country 100 miles to the southeast, mix in east Texas and you've got the mountains right there.

Old 09-15-2015, 08:35 AM

3,913 posts, read 5,230,152 times
Quote:
Thanks, Caleb Longstreet! What a great name! Fortunately, we will be retired by Dec. so work commutes won't be an issue. Although I'll probably find a job or volunteer just to get the feel for the culture.

I'm glad the racism isn't as bad an issue as it seemed. These little towns are the whitest places I've ever seen. Houston is like the U.N. You really get to enjoy the mix of nationalities. I'm going to miss Mexican, Indian and Vietnamese food. We're pretty laid back and don't let other people's opinion bother us. I could definitely tell the socio-economic spectrum was missing a large percentage of middle class.

I'm hoping Fresh and Frugal is a decent store.

We have added Blairsville-Helen-Hiawassee area to our search. Certainly gorgeous mountain views. After Houston, any rise in topography is deeply appreciated. I have a friend who likes to camp around Blairsville and will soon buy a house as well. She is only familiar "vacation people" so its is good to have your insight as well. So sad when the young feel there is no where to go. I was surprised at the crime rate in Union County. However, relative to Houston, its not so bad. We've had 4 burglaries and just had an intruder in walk in on me two months ago (he screamed first).
I lived in Houston for a few years in the early 80's. Have two sisters and one brother there now. Been in and out ever since. It's a far, far cry from Houston. The crime is miniscule in comparison. If you are retiring and have a decent retirement you can live large there my friend.

Weather is very pleasant and the cost of living is still within reach for almost anyone. Retirement communities are popping up around Blairsville so take a peek. Quiet town which is precisely what I want in a few years. Although, Atlanta is not that far away when needed.

You won't get much pushback. Some stares perhaps but, no one will mess with you unless you mess with them. Don't feel singled out. They are like that to almost anyone who is "not from around h'year". You'll get used to it. Be humble and NOT opinionated as it will work against you if you are. Go along to get along is the motto in these haunts.

Frankly, you might like Dahlonega more as it is up and coming but, the traffic will come along as well. Just depends if you want to live on the other side of the "mountains" and let it serve as your buffer to most of humanity.

Low profile, kind to all, and I think you might find it exceptionally pleasant albeit, s l o w and quiet.

Best wishes
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia