Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-27-2008, 04:05 PM

10 posts, read 66,707 times

Advertisements

Hello all,
My wife and I are part of the dreaded Florida migration to the deep south. We are trying to find land in NE Georgia, or the surrounding areas (anything in the mountains) where we can build a contemporary home. We spent last week in Toccoa, GA and we loved it. However, just everywhere that we liked (Ayers, Trestle Falls, Deer Chase) had strong architectural restrictions that excluded us building a contemporary home. Does anyone know of good cities in the surrounding areas that have looser restrictions? We would love something in the mountains, a wooded lot preferrably 5-10 acres but will accept less as a compromise to get to build our dream home in a few years. In terms of price we would like to stay below $50K. The cheaper the better of course. Thank you in advance for your responses. BTW we are attaching a couple examples of the kind of architecture we like. As you'll see, our taste is a little unusual.

The see-through house may be found at:
WERNER SOBEK Engineering & Design

The other home may be found at:
Syndesis - Syndecrete (http://www.syndesisinc.com/index-arch.html - broken link)

The philip johnson glass house:
The Philip Johnson Glass House

The Farnsworth house:

You may find other images at:
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2008, 04:18 PM

Default oops! forgot to add attachments

here goes...
Attached Thumbnails
land to build a contemporary home-david-hertz-1.jpg   land to build a contemporary home-david-hertz-3.jpg   land to build a contemporary home-sobek1.jpg   land to build a contemporary home-sobek-3.jpg  

Old 01-31-2008, 05:40 AM

This one is a tough question. I have contacted a realtor but still no luck. Anyone have any ideas or any realtors you recommend? Thanks in advance.

Old 01-31-2008, 03:13 PM

13 posts, read 46,590 times
Default Re: NE GA

I have seen this house online somewhere. Its fantastic. There are still some good land buys in the Rabun County area. There are lots in Kingwood Golf Resort and also around Lake Burton. Would love to see this house built here! My husband and I love it in the NE GA mountains. We also lived in Florida (as well as Phili, Colorado, Ohia, BC, etc). I think this is a good match for us and we will stay here for awhile!

[The philip johnson glass house:
The Philip Johnson Glass House

The Farnsworth house:

You may find other images at:
Loading...[/quote]

Old 02-03-2008, 06:21 AM

patmanandrobin,
Thanks so much for your response. We checked out Kingwood Golf Resort online and one of the real estate agents contacted us yesterday. It looks like a possibility. We will be going up to that area the end of this month or next to check out the resort and other properties in the area. Again, great tip.

Old 11-28-2009, 05:33 PM

150 posts, read 481,784 times
Those styles of Homes would look horrible in the North Georgia Mountains. You might as well put up a billboard that says your'e from Florida. Its too bad you Floridians just cant seem to blend in the country its almost like youre better suited for the suburbs or cities.

Old 11-30-2009, 08:30 AM

4 posts, read 17,736 times
How did your search for land and a builder work out? My wife and I are doing the same thing right now.

Old 11-30-2009, 09:09 AM

4 posts, read 17,736 times
You could be right about that. Those old dirty trailers that you see everywhere must have come from Florida trailer parks.

Old 11-30-2009, 12:21 PM

7,731 posts, read 14,364,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by COUNTRYFRIED View Post
Those styles of Homes would look horrible in the North Georgia Mountains. You might as well put up a billboard that says your'e from Florida. Its too bad you Floridians just cant seem to blend in the country its almost like youre better suited for the suburbs or cities.
I totally disagree. Different strokes.

And there is no need to categorize 18 million people with one rude and ill-informed blanket statement.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
View detailed profiles of: