Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2015, 06:44 PM

242 posts, read 340,783 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by masonbauknight View Post
Totally disagree. You don't scream in all BOLDFACE CAPS for two text lines running. Ever. And does Atlanta need a vociferous defense squad on this thread? It's the state capital and an international city. Truth is that Atlanta has gotten MORE than its lion share of the state's resources -- for five decades now -- while the 2nd-tier cities have received less than theirs. No one is saying that Atlanta doesn't deserve more priority than other cities in the state. And your assertion that these cities of 250,000 are coveting things fit for cities of "millions" of inhabitants is totally bogus. The 2nd tier has never received its *fair* share of highway funds for its size, and when it did, it was 20 years late. Look at any road atlas from the 1960s through the 1980s and compare Georgia to other southern states. There were access roads and bypasses around most metros of 100,000-plus. Georgia's 2nd-tier cities (at least twice that size by the mid-1960s) had virtually none. They were treated as if they were Cordele or La Grange. They had to wait until the interstates were put in to get minimal connections. I've already mentioned Georgia's Johnny-come-lately approach to the Port of Savannah, which it had neglected since the early 20th century. Fortunately, someone in Atlanta discovered Savannah on a state map. Yes, yes -- Atlanta must get most of the state's goodies, as more than half of Georgians live in metro Atlanta. But NO, the 2nd-tier cities are not (and were never) treated fairly by the state for metros of even their modest size.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2015, 09:05 AM

6,479 posts, read 7,163,182 times
I'm glad the mayors of these hub cities are also pushing to have connections be made between their cities and others in the state. I hope this can lead to bringing interstate 14 to reality or extending I-22 from Birmingham down to Brunswick...
Quote:
That’s the consensus of mayors from Augusta, Macon and Columbus during a recent panel discussion. To finance the transportation infrastructure that facilitates those connections, the mayors are trying combinations of new funding sources and lobbying for traditional state and federal sources.
“There are regional and local solutions that we are engaged in that allow us to begin to solve these problems on our own. The resources that we’ve expected from the state, that’s shifted,” Augusta Mayor Hardie Davis said.
Residents of Augusta and Columbus voted in 2013 to tax themselves to generate money for transportation-related projects separate from any funding by the state or federal governments. This new money is improving intersections, adding roads and paving extra lanes. A majority of counties surrounding Macon are developing their own regional transportation tax proposal for voters there to consider soon. The broader goal is to go beyond enhanced connections within regions to better connections between regions. Then there will be greater cooperation between regional companies, colleges and other institutions, with all of the regions tying to Atlanta.
Sandy Springs Mayor Rusty Paul shares that vision despite representing a metro Atlanta constituency.
“If these other mayors get something, the ripples will ultimately come and affect all of us,” he said.
Prosperity in one part of the state doesn’t take away from another part, he said, especially with improved connectivity.
Plus, there is a practical argument for why metro Atlanta residents should support resources for connecting Augusta, Macon, Columbus, Savannah and Valdosta to the capital.
“Let me give you the urban side,” Paul said. “If everyone who wants a job has to move to Atlanta, you will never solve transportation problems.”
There isn’t room for enough highway lanes to accommodate that many more residents. But with high-speed passenger rail, workers could commute from those cities or work for companies affiliated with Atlanta firms.
Outside Atlanta, Georgia cities see connections as the way to leverage prosperity | The Augusta Chronicle

Old 09-15-2015, 07:44 PM

7,582 posts, read 10,768,125 times
Quote:
Truth is that Atlanta has gotten MORE than its lion share of the state's resources -- for five decades now
The reason YOU NEED BOLD FACE CAPS (I added red )

Is this is a lie and you're blatantly forming all of your opinions on it. No matter how many times you say it, doesn't make it correct and you're own leaders are catching on to this too.

The simple fact is Atlanta is helping fund the rest of the state, the rest of the state is not helping fund Atlanta.

You can be jealous of whatever you want, but Atlanta has been extremely under-invested in the state's resources FOR DECADES NOW.

You keep pretending like it isn't the case, but it is. The stubbornness of what you want to be true and what reality is is WHY THERE IS BOLDCASE CAPS... You don't seem to read anything else.

Old 09-15-2015, 08:59 PM

5,621 posts, read 5,932,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwkimbro View Post

Is this is a lie and you're blatantly forming all of your opinions on it. No matter how many times you say it, doesn't make it correct and you're own leaders are catching on to this too.

The simple fact is Atlanta is helping fund the rest of the state, the rest of the state is not helping fund Atlanta.

You can be jealous of whatever you want, but Atlanta has been extremely under-invested in the state's resources FOR DECADES NOW.

You keep pretending like it isn't the case, but it is. The stubbornness of what you want to be true and what reality is is WHY THERE IS BOLDCASE CAPS... You don't seem to read anything else.
I've given up. Don't have time to beat a dead horse.

Old 09-16-2015, 05:44 AM
PJA

2,462 posts, read 3,175,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwkimbro View Post

They surely aren't helping to fund the other metro areas which are lacking as well. Again I think Atlanta and all the second tier metro areas are contributing more to the state than they take in.

Old 09-16-2015, 09:24 AM

1,987 posts, read 2,109,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PJA View Post
They surely aren't helping to fund the other metro areas which are lacking as well. Again I think Atlanta and all the second tier metro areas are contributing more to the state than they take in.
Very important point. Georgia is actually a rather poor state outside its urban areas. The 2nd-tier cities and even many prosperous 3rd-tier cities (Warner Robins is one) contribute to the well-being and upkeep of the rest of the state. Their contributions exceed their demographic weight. The fact that Atlanta, with 5.5 million people in its metro and an international tax base, is well above average in its "transfers" to the rest of the state is not exactly rocket science. That's as it should be.

@CKimbro: Living here in the Northeast, I always smile when Atlanta boosters insist that "ATL is contributing more to the rest of Georgia than it gets back." I read countless blog posts, letters to the editor, and full articles here in the Northeastern media about how much the North provides the same thing to the "poor, redneck hillbilly Southeast, but ole' Bubba in his pickup truck doesn't appreciate it." And that's one of the more polite comments I've seen.

Old 09-16-2015, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Very important point. Georgia is actually a rather poor state outside its urban areas. The 2nd-tier cities and even many prosperous 3rd-tier cities (Warner Robins is one) contribute to the well-being and upkeep of the rest of the state. Their contributions exceed their demographic weight. The fact that Atlanta, with 5.5 million people in its metro and an international tax base, is well above average in its "transfers" to the rest of the state is not exactly rocket science. That's as it should be.

@CKimbro: Living here in the Northeast, I always smile when Atlanta boosters insist that "ATL is contributing more to the rest of Georgia than it gets back." I read countless blog posts, letters to the editor, and full articles here in the Northeastern media about how much the North provides the same thing to the "poor, redneck hillbilly Southeast, but ole' Bubba in his pickup truck doesn't appreciate it." And that's one of the more polite comments I've seen.
Yea I know those same arguments.

In fact I always politely remind them that Georgia is a breakeven state. There is a small year to year variability, sometimes we get a small amount or give a small amount. The states, like Alabama, Mississippi, and Louisiana that don't have such a large city.

Old 09-16-2015, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJA View Post
I totally understand.

I haven't been able to find the researched data regarding the smaller cities in Georgia, mostly just Atlanta... largely because it became such a large political punching bag.

My problem rests with the fact they are blaming Atlanta, when Atlanta mostly seems to be a donor and has been treated very hostily by state politicians in the past.

This thread has been a perfect characterization of this. Just because Atlanta is so big and gets a new sports stadium.... it must be their fault... Yet the stadium is locally funded and the Atlanta region gives the state 25% of their revenue to the state to use outside its own region. It is a very large gap to accuse Atlanta as being the resource hog.

Old 09-16-2015, 07:00 PM

233 posts, read 243,357 times
Many southern states would do anything to have a city like Atlanta

GA other cities always crying about Atlanta.

You are destine to be a One major city state so what.

LOL funny thing is about all of this Georgia is not the best Geographic region for such a large city its obviously Tennessee and Alabama but there political leaders react so damn slow to economic development in the past.

Old 09-16-2015, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.910nc View Post
Many southern states would do anything to have a city like Atlanta

GA other cities always crying about Atlanta.

You are destine to be a One major city state so what.

LOL funny thing is about all of this Georgia is not the best Geographic region for such a large city its obviously Tennessee and Alabama but there political leaders react so damn slow to economic development in the past.
Alabama is too far west in a less populated area from the eastern seaboard and materials and good would have to transit Georgia to go northeast.

Tennessee has to cross the Appalachian mountains to receive and send goods and materials to the northeast, but is well connected to the northwest. That is why Atlanta ballooned the way it did. It is really that northern most point where goods and supplies can easily transit in both directions without the expense of building through or transiting the mountains.

Now Nashville is noteworthy competition for trucking, in particular, to Atlanta thanks to interstate I-81, but it still isn't as ideally accessible to Florida and traversing those routes takes more fuel. But it is equally accessible to the rapidly growing Eastern Texas. That is really helping them grow.

Nowadays we still have those advantages and have a huge industrial warehouse market from this, but simply building up intellectual talent in the population is becoming more important in today's information based economy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia