Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-22-2012, 01:50 PM

2,663 posts, read 4,844,832 times

Advertisements

Augusta has never been good at bring new people into the city. It seems like everyone enjoy living in the metro area. The city pop should be way higher. Same goes for Columbus.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2012, 01:54 PM

Location: Augusta, GA ''The fastest rising city in the southeast''
7,508 posts, read 15,100,025 times
Below you can see how the different economies are growing... Remember the NSA, Plant Vogtle, Starbucks, GHSU/ASU combining together, additional Medical District growth, Bridgestone expansion, Starbucks plant, Rockwood plant, etc are just started... Compare to metros like Huntsville which is on the downside of major projects compared to previous years..

2007 GDP
1. Chattanooga 20,654
2. Huntsville 18,325
3. Augusta 17,678
4. Mobile 14,775
5. Savannah 12,984
6. Columubs 10,943

2010 GDP
1. Chattanooga 21,211
2. Huntsville 20,900
3. Augusta 19,199
4. Mobile 15,835
5. Savannah 12,933
6. Columbus 11,877

Change btw 2007-2010
1. Huntsville 2575
2. Augusta 1521
3. Mobile 1060
4. Columbus 934
5. Chattanooga 557
6. Savanah -51

http://www.bea.gov/newsreleases/regional/gdp_metro/2011b/pdf/gdp_metro0211b.pdf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbuskidd92 View Post
Augusta has never been good at bring new people into the city. It seems like everyone enjoy living in the metro area. The city pop should be way higher. Same goes for Columbus.
Well the population of Richmond County is right around Durham, Savannah, etc and other peer cities.. The population of Richmond County, and especially the urban core will grow alot faster this decade.... With the Walmart neighborhood Market/other businesses coming to 15th street next year in the Medical District... People are starting to move back into the urban core of the city(CBD, Medical District, Inner City)....

Old 07-22-2012, 02:08 PM

5,616 posts, read 8,652,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpatt.marine1 View Post
UAB and Emory? Have you seen the medical community in Augusta, and according to your records tourist only come one week out of the year, but they are building a new convention center downtown. Your perspective of Augusta is extremely flawed, have you ever been to Augusta?
Yea, UAB and Emory are more well known and better. Not once have I thought of going to Augusta for anything medical and I am in the medical field. People think UAB and Emory first I promise. And yes I have been to Augusta.

Old 07-22-2012, 02:39 PM

37,881 posts, read 41,948,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by River_Dawg View Post
Greenville is a top tiers city in Carolina passing Columbia (Capital) and Charleston (Coastal).
Columbia and Charleston have larger city and MSA populations than Greenville; they also have higher metro GDPs, more highly educated residents, higher per capita and household incomes, faster growth rates, etc. Greenville just has a larger CSA because it also includes Spartanburg and Anderson. But all three MSAs are more or less on the same level.

Old 07-22-2012, 02:42 PM

998 posts, read 1,549,698 times
What city did Aimee Copeland go to for treatment of her necrotizing fasciitis? And wasn't she was injured west of Atlanta and received treatment initially in Atlanta I believe... Where did Travis Barker (drummer) and his friends go for treatment after their plane crash in Columbia, SC? In both cases among others, that would be Augusta.

It depends on what the patients needs are as to where they go. Augusta's burn center is top notch, their neurology is big and is going to get bigger at Eisenhower Hospital with the military in the next few years (big rumor I've heard from those in the military/wounded warrior that I'm waiting to see come to fruition) and their cardiovascular and children's medical center are no slouch either. I'll add that Augusta is also home to a Level-1 shock trauma ICU center, which aren't exactly "standard" units for a hospital/city.

Augusta's medical field struggles only in the name value of the city it calls home, it's doing just fine outside of that and growing in leaps and bounds... especially after the merger of MCG/Augusta State, the construction of the medical commons begins and construction starts on the research/development park next to the river downtown on the land set aside for it. Funding for the school is going to jump up according to Gov. Deal who supports it's merger whole-heartedly as the states premier public medical university. Athletics for the merged university will jump up to D-1, student dorms will be built downtown and the vibe of the city will change. Everything I have mentioned is "green-lighted" for being built... it's not if, but when.

If you're in the medical field such as you say, you should know about the Joseph M. Still burn center. The medical sector in Augusta is very big and very good for a city its size... not bragging, it just is what it is.

Old 07-22-2012, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nortonguy View Post
Like what? The downtown area of Chattanooga is nicer, but the metro area doesn't offer all these great things compared to Augusta..

There's a huge billboard on I-20 in Augusta which features the skyline of Columbia, SC with the quote 'Famously Hot'..

Columbia has 'more to offer' than all of those cities mentioned, and still took the time to advertise in Augusta....
That has more to do with convenience and proximity. Columbia also advertises along I-77 just outside of Charlotte, again, for convenience and proximity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbus1984 View Post
All of those cities are better known, have more diverse economies, etc. It is not a knock on Augusta, but it simply isn't on that level...
Chattanooga, Mobile, and Huntsville all have their strong points but it's not worlds of difference between them and Augusta. Chattanooga and Mobile have their geographical locations going for them, and Huntsville is completely reliant on federal dollars. All of these metros are more or less in the same tier. Huntsville is only grouped with them because of the largesse of the federal government in maintaining its economy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbus1984 View Post
Yea, UAB and Emory are more well known and better. Not once have I thought of going to Augusta for anything medical and I am in the medical field. People think UAB and Emory first I promise. And yes I have been to Augusta.
Again, it's more of an issue of proximity and convenience; Birmingham and Atlanta are simply closer for you. Augusta's sphere of influence medically is parts of Georgia and SC; where I grew up in SC, Augusta was just as much of an option for medical treatment as Charleston and Columbia were. But GHSU's specialty is really its burn center. People are transported there from a pretty wide area to be treated for burns.

Old 07-22-2012, 02:49 PM

Mutiny... spot on. +1

All three are nice cities and I really don't see how anyone could go wrong living in either 3 of the cities mentioned in South Carolina... It just depends on if you're a mountain person, a beach person or a college person.

Old 07-22-2012, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tckr83 View Post
Mutiny... spot on. +1

All three are nice cities and I really don't see how anyone could go wrong living in either 3 of the cities mentioned in South Carolina... It just depends on if you're a mountain person, a beach person or a college person.
Yeah, they all compliment each other pretty nicely.

Old 07-22-2012, 02:54 PM

Doctor's hospital off of I-2O has Joseph M. Still burn center... its claim to fame.

GHSU deals primarily with its shock-trauma ICU, children's medical center, its new cancer research center and obviously teaching...

Old 07-22-2012, 11:21 PM

2,856 posts, read 4,619,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nortonguy View Post
I could understand maybe Greenville, Charleston, Greensboro, & Knoxville, but Mobile, Huntsville, and Chattanooga???

How are Mobile, Huntsville, or Chattanooga much further ahead than Augusta or Savannah?? The metro population of Augusta is larger than all three of the cities...
Nortonguy...I know you are homer but please..... Huntsville and Chattanooga both felt like they're ahead of Augusta in my opinion. So if you're going off of the largest metro how could you say maybe for Greenville, Greensboro and Charleston when they're metros are bigger than Augusta?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia