Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2015, 10:56 PM

2 posts, read 6,292 times

Advertisements

Hello. I'm moving to Savannah Georgia after living in California for over 20 years. I've heard Savannah is open to cultures and not racist; I've also heard from other people it is racist. I would like to get a clarification from those of you who have lived in Georgia for a while. I was born in South America, am a US citizen. We hear only negative things in California about the south; so I'd like honest opinions. I've been doing my research, and it's beautiful. I've also been told Savannah is welcoming to new ethnic diversity. I appreciate the feedback.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2015, 10:41 AM

2,099 posts, read 2,275,952 times
You may love it here. It is becoming cosmopolitan with SCAD. What are your plans here for work, do you have family, what kind of living and lifestyle do you seek?? It would be great if you are opening a new business, perhaps even one based on your cuisine or other culture from your country or heritage. It's one of the country's most beautiful cities, and there are a lot of good ones. There are many people here from the Caribbean, and Mexico, and increasingly from Asia, and so it is diversifying which is a good thing. Many of them have opened great businesses like restaurants and shops. I welcome more international people moving here.

Also Savannah is not like the rest of the south. It is liberal and gay-friendly, it at least is trying to be environmentally and locally minded, it has a huge farmers' market on Forsyth Park which is our Central Park. Art, history, and the environment are huge here. Interestingly, here the main sports are running, golf and tennis, and then water activities like fishing, boating etc on the ocean.

Old 11-26-2015, 07:01 PM

2 posts, read 6,292 times
Thank you! I appreciate your reply. I have a friend in Savannah and she has told me similar things. I plan to eventually open up a little art shop that includes graphic design, photography and short films :-)

Old 11-27-2015, 04:05 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,918,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by New2G View Post
Hello. I'm moving to Savannah Georgia after living in California for over 20 years. I've heard Savannah is open to cultures and not racist; I've also heard from other people it is racist. I would like to get a clarification from those of you who have lived in Georgia for a while. I was born in South America, am a US citizen. We hear only negative things in California about the south; so I'd like honest opinions. I've been doing my research, and it's beautiful. I've also been told Savannah is welcoming to new ethnic diversity. I appreciate the feedback.
i'm sorry ... But exactly what is your ethnicity? All you said was "I was born in South America."

Old 11-28-2015, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
i'm sorry ... But exactly what is your ethnicity? All you said was "I was born in South America."
Well I see you still have not responded. So let me ask again: Why would a U.S. citizen born in South America and living in California for 20-plus years be concerned about racism and diversity in Savannah?

Old 11-30-2015, 05:47 PM

11,395 posts, read 24,447,211 times
Yes, thanks to SCAD Savannah is open to all ethnicities.

Old 12-01-2015, 11:24 AM

I smell snark ellie.
Though I probably earned that one!

I seek to attract more progressive and diverse people here. the poster may do well with a shop down in the tourist area. Then again, the market is saturated, they will have to differentiate. Possible though.

Savannah is great. If you can navigate its quirks and general city living.

Old 12-03-2015, 04:34 PM

I'm still trying to figure out what makes someone born in South America "ethnic."

Old 12-10-2015, 06:58 AM

209 posts, read 257,506 times
Is there serious crime? I have seen posts here about that.

Old 12-10-2015, 02:45 PM

Police: Savannah-Chatham murder rate the highest since 1991
//www.city-data.com/forum/savan...y-our-all.html

Still a great city. Currently experiencing an unfortunate crime wave. We are hoping our new Mayor can at least help reduce it. Perhaps it's cyclical, as the newspaper editorial muses: Editorial: A full-court press needed on violent crime
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
View detailed profiles of: