Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-14-2016, 08:02 AM

21,020 posts, read 27,221,764 times

Advertisements

Dawson Marketplace is a retail center locating at the southwest corner of Georgia State Route 400 and Dawson Forest Road in unincorporated Dawsonville, Dawson County, Georgia.

Dawson Marketplace: Site Plan

Kroger #GA-670:
Kroger is replacing store GA-640, Dawson Village, 78 Dawson Village Way North Suite 100, Dawsonville, Georgia 30534-5634, with store GA-670, a Kroger Marketplace hypermarket store. ("Kroger #670 (Dawsonville GA)." LDI-Line.) Kroger #GA-670 will have a detached fuel center and a two-lane pharmacy drive thru. It appears a four-lane bank drive thru will be behind the pharmacy drive thru.

Other tenants:
Additional tenants for Dawsonville Marketplace are Casablanca Nails, Famous Footwear, Marshall's, Ross, Hobby Lobby, and Petco.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2016, 05:48 AM

744 posts, read 2,481,397 times
Wow , I knew that someone was preparing a rather large chunk of property on the southern end of Dawsonville , but I had no idea it would be a development like this. With Publix coming across the highway from this property , I say "Let The Grocery Store War Games Begin !" and the poor Ingles down the way is about to get a butt whipping by both of them .

Old 01-15-2016, 11:11 PM

I do not know what plans Ingle's may have for improving store 441 (Dawson 400 Center, 53 Highway 400 South, Dawsonville, Georgia 30534-6833). Its video department could be replaced by a pharmacy department, a Starbucks kiosk is added to the store near the fresh foods departments, and a fuel center is added. Similar Ingle's stores have been making these changes.

Kroger #GA-670 and Publix at Dawson Crossroads ("Dawson Crossroads, Dawsonville, Georgia") will be ahead of Ingle's #441.

Old 01-16-2016, 01:21 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,909,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by go falcons View Post
Wow , I knew that someone was preparing a rather large chunk of property on the southern end of Dawsonville , but I had no idea it would be a development like this. With Publix coming across the highway from this property , I say "Let The Grocery Store War Games Begin !" and the poor Ingles down the way is about to get a butt whipping by both of them .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Knight View Post
I do not know what plans Ingle's may have for improving store 441 (Dawson 400 Center, 53 Highway 400 South, Dawsonville, Georgia 30534-6833). Its video department could be replaced by a pharmacy department, a Starbucks kiosk is added to the store near the fresh foods departments, and a fuel center is added. Similar Ingle's stores have been making these changes.

Kroger #GA-670 and Publix at Dawson Crossroads ("Dawson Crossroads, Dawsonville, Georgia") will be ahead of Ingle's #441.
There is an older Ingle's store in South Fayetteville directly across the street from larger, newer Publix and Kroger stores. It was there first and has survived on exceptional customer service and lower prices. It has neither a pharmacy or Starbucks, but their deli and meat departments are bigger and better than Kroger and Publix. The store is never crowded (sometimes it's nearly empty) but they do a lot of volume -- especially with commercial (restaurant, daycare, church etc) accounts. All my family that lives on that side of town prefers Ingle's to Kroger and NONE of them will shop at Publix, ever.

So in other words, if Ingle's has a loyal customer base in Dawsonville they should do fine. They've been down this road before (faced competition from newer / massive Kroger or Publix stores) and survived. Believe it or not, many people still appreciate an old-fashioned mom-and-pop type grocery store experience which is exactly what Ingles provides.

Old 01-16-2016, 02:45 PM

744 posts, read 2,481,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
There is an older Ingle's store in South Fayetteville directly across the street from larger, newer Publix and Kroger stores. It was there first and has survived on exceptional customer service and lower prices. It has neither a pharmacy or Starbucks, but their deli and meat departments are bigger and better than Kroger and Publix. The store is never crowded (sometimes it's nearly empty) but they do a lot of volume -- especially with commercial (restaurant, daycare, church etc) accounts. All my family that lives on that side of town prefers Ingle's to Kroger and NONE of them will shop at Publix, ever.

So in other words, if Ingle's has a loyal customer base in Dawsonville they should do fine. They've been down this road before (faced competition from newer / massive Kroger or Publix stores) and survived. Believe it or not, many people still appreciate an old-fashioned mom-and-pop type grocery store experience which is exactly what Ingles provides.
I remember the lower Fayetteville Ingles well .I would treat it as a giant convenience store when I didn't want to deal with the crowds at Kroger or Publix .No crowds at all ...ever...!
There are many ex Floridians and former Atlantans who have moved to the north georgia mountains that are super excited about the new Publix coming into Dawsonville . The Kroger has been "the king of the hill"there for so long , it will be fun to watch them battle it out.

Old 01-16-2016, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by go falcons View Post
I remember the lower Fayetteville Ingles well .I would treat it as a giant convenience store when I didn't want to deal with the crowds at Kroger or Publix .No crowds at all ...ever...!
There are many ex Floridians and former Atlantans who have moved to the north georgia mountains that are super excited about the new Publix coming into Dawsonville . The Kroger has been "the king of the hill"there for so long , it will be fun to watch them battle it out.
Ingle's closed three stores in Georgia in 2013 and 2014 that were in direct competition with Kroger, Publix, and Walmart. Two of those closed stores are on properties owned by Ingle's. Fifteen other stores in the Atlanta metropolitan statistical area have closed over the years.

Ingle's new stores are similar to Kroger with decor, necessities, and amenities.

Old 01-16-2016, 08:18 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,909,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Knight View Post
Ingle's closed three stores in Georgia in 2013 and 2014 that were in direct competition with Kroger, Publix, and Walmart. Two of those closed stores are on properties owned by Ingle's. Fifteen other stores in the Atlanta metropolitan statistical area have closed over the years.

Ingle's new stores are similar to Kroger with decor, necessities, and amenities.
I believe the Fayetteville Ingle's has survived because they intentionally DID NOT try to compete head-on with Publix and Kroger. For example, I remember when they had a large video department, floral department, fresh salad bar and even a large stationary / card department. ALL THAT IS GONE! They widened the aisles and have a lot more display space for the things that sell -- especially bakery / deli and meats / produce. Like I said above, their deli department really is the best in town -- better than Kroger and WAY better than Publix (which has never impressed me).

Another thing about that Fayetteville Ingle's: I've been a customer there off and on for more than a decade, first when I was living in Fayetteville and now when I go home to visit. And many of the same employees are STILL THERE AND KNOW ME BY NAME! I challenge you to find a grocery store chain where that's the case. It all comes down to GOOD MANAGEMENT.

Old 01-17-2016, 08:47 AM

Ingle's avoided competing with direct competitors by opening many of their stores in unorthodox locations that would be underserved by others. Its stores have established themselves as Kroger and Publix have entered their trade areas.

Ingle's is usually my primary grocer. I will second Ingle's delicatessen being the best. Its hot foods are well priced, healthy, and delicious. Its pharmacy is excellent and has better generic prescription drug prices than Kroger and Walmart.

Old 08-22-2017, 09:59 AM

1 posts, read 1,606 times
What other businesses are going in to the south of the new Kroger store? Look like rather large buildings under construction.

Old 08-22-2017, 04:43 PM

3,930 posts, read 2,096,278 times
It is good for the customer to have competition. So it's good for those in the area to have all three grocers go at it
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia