U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-23-2016, 09:25 AM

1,492 posts, read 3,296,418 times

Advertisements

Good morning,

My youngest got the acceptance letter into SCAD in Savannah. Weighing pros and cons to see if beyond the week of going to classes there last summer it's where the next four years will be spent. Other acceptances are from University of South Carolina-Beaufort and Brevard College. Exciting times and a new chapter for all of us.

We'd like to also weigh pros and cons of relocation. Our older two adult children are living in Florida. We are in a good spot to leave, house here is fully paid off and we'd be down sizing. I am a school bus dispatcher. I'd like to stay in that industry, but not sure if it's private companies or district owned fleets in GA. I am open to ideas. I do have a CDL B so I can drive again if necessary, but after 5 years of being in the office doing that work, I'd prefer it. I'd be willing to work in the schools also as a secretary as those are part of my skills as a dispatcher. Hubby has 21 years as a ready mix concrete dispatcher. He's thinking of looking for work in that field as he knows it in and out. Not sure what his skill set can transfer to. But he's open to ideas also. We'd never move until we had something lined up, that's a no-no.

We are in our early 50's and a bunch of years left in the workforce. We'd prefer not to be in a city, outlying suburbia is ok, but small town life is what we both know from upstate NY. My parents were native to NC/VA and my family is still close enough to go visit as I have no other family here now they've passed on.

Also, is it possible to find a non-HOA? Does life like that exist anymore? LOL But that being said, we'd be interested to hear from others to pros on it. This will be the last move we make in our lifetimes. Planning for the future with being older, going to look for a one level home as we don't want to navigate stairs in our later years. I'd like to see about areas that are walkable as you can walk to the bank, post office, etc. We only live now on .29 acre so that's more than enough for us. I don't want to spend over 250K for a home as I'd like to build upon our nest egg.

We are outdoorsy people. Camping-have a travel trailer, old boat, canoe and bikes. Hubby hunts and fishes fresh and salt water.

So give me some ideas of places. I've visited Savannah last summer when our youngest was there, but can't see living in a city environment. My cousins lived for years on St. Simon's Island. Beautiful place, but not fond of hurricanes as we've dealt with that before too.

Thank you and enjoy your day!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2016, 09:22 AM

10,274 posts, read 10,085,180 times
You might want to consider Pooler, GA. A smallish city (about 20k population I believe). It is located fairly close to Savannah.

Old 01-26-2016, 01:28 AM

13,708 posts, read 18,093,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hillbillyjim1 View Post
I'm sorry but local companies are not going to hire people with your skill sets from new york, when they can easily hire people from here. you want a job here, your going to have to move here and look. The only yankees who get the luxury of finding a job here before they move are those that have hard to find skills. And really we could train homeless people to be dispatchers.
Well that was incredibly rude.

OP: I remember you posting about this possibility before, perhaps in the Savannah forum? I'd suggest reposting your query there. The Savannah regulars are a small but fun group of (anonymous) friends who occasionally snip at each other but are passionate about the city and its suburbs and give solid advice.

It's true nobody is going to PAY you to relocate from NY to GA to do concrete work or drive a school bus, but I don't think that's what your asking is it? You just want to know what the local job opportunities might be?

Savannah-Chaham Schools outsource their buses to Reliant Transportation if that means anything to you. Previously they used First Student. Neither has proved popular and I would not be surprised if the local BOE does not take back over operation eventually. To be honest I have no idea who owns the buses -- the school district or Reliant?

Also, sounds like suburban Effingham County might be a place you'd find comfortable

Old 01-27-2016, 07:25 PM

Originally Posted by hillbillyjim1 View Post
I'm sorry but local companies are not going to hire people with your skill sets from new york, when they can easily hire people from here. you want a job here, your going to have to move here and look. The only yankees who get the luxury of finding a job here before they move are those that have hard to find skills. And really we could train homeless people to be dispatchers.

Who tinkled in your froot loops? Geesh. I do have a degree in hospitality and tourism management. And if I talked to people that way on the phone, AKA Joe Q Public, I'd have walking papers. I'd like to see you dispatch a fleet of buses and cover 52 schools in a 120 mile radius. My guess is that you don't really know what Upstate NY is like, NY isn't all the big city. And only fools move to a area without a job lined up. Why would anyone do that? That's a disaster in the making.

I'd like to say more but my Mamma taught me if I can't say anything nice, don't say nothing at all.

Old 01-27-2016, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
Well that was incredibly rude.

OP: I remember you posting about this possibility before, perhaps in the Savannah forum? I'd suggest reposting your query there. The Savannah regulars are a small but fun group of (anonymous) friends who occasionally snip at each other but are passionate about the city and its suburbs and give solid advice.

It's true nobody is going to PAY you to relocate from NY to GA to do concrete work or drive a school bus, but I don't think that's what your asking is it? You just want to know what the local job opportunities might be?

Savannah-Chaham Schools outsource their buses to Reliant Transportation if that means anything to you. Previously they used First Student. Neither has proved popular and I would not be surprised if the local BOE does not take back over operation eventually. To be honest I have no idea who owns the buses -- the school district or Reliant?

Also, sounds like suburban Effingham County might be a place you'd find comfortable
Yes, since our youngest has been accepted at SCAD, we thought about Savannah. But we still like our small slice of heaven without the hustle and bustle.

No, not looking for anyone to pay for our move, that's covered. I am just seeing what local job markets are like. Here since IBM let got 10,000 people and Texaco moved and tore down the research center, jobs are scarce. I'd like to get a feel for an area.

I'll look into the suggestions made about the contractors for buses. I'd rather stay in a district owned fleet, but I am open to ideas. Hubby's end was in the office as a supervisor of the concrete plant. He handled dispatching as well as the last year he brought in 7 million in sales with 13 trucks. He also has certification as a concrete tester. So something he'd done in his skill set should be transferable into something there.

I'll look again into Savannah. Our friends moved to outside Atlanta after being discharged from the military-he was a West Point guy. I'll look at the other places too. Thanks.

Old 01-28-2016, 07:26 PM

2,009 posts, read 1,723,680 times
You may like Savannah, you can live just 15-30 mins outside the city in a leafy quiet forested neighborhood that is middle class and diverse. Georgetown, the Islands (may have to look a bit for a good price though), areas around Pooler, or up near Rincon in Effingham like News said. The blackwater swamps up there are neat. Pooler which was mentioned, is a HOA stripmall type area.

If you looking for the hospitality business, lots of new hotels being built, probably a good market, others may know more. Concrete? There is lots of new construction. School bus company Reliant here could use a lot of help. Hah ask local parents. For whatever that's worth.

Visit in person as much as you can, of course, moving is always a big decision. Nevermind the weirdo poster up there. Outdoorsy stuff and fishing abounds here. Look at all the parks up and down the coast. Do you value a good environment, clean water and wetlands, and environmental education for kids? I am guessing yes but just curious. If so come on down! I am excited more people that value the environment and education continue to move here. We are becoming a blueberry in tomato soup. Visit the farmers' market on Saturday on Forsyth.

Old 01-29-2016, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SavannahLife View Post
You may like Savannah, you can live just 15-30 mins outside the city in a leafy quiet forested neighborhood that is middle class and diverse. Georgetown, the Islands (may have to look a bit for a good price though), areas around Pooler, or up near Rincon in Effingham like News said. The blackwater swamps up there are neat. Pooler which was mentioned, is a HOA stripmall type area.

If you looking for the hospitality business, lots of new hotels being built, probably a good market, others may know more. Concrete? There is lots of new construction. School bus company Reliant here could use a lot of help. Hah ask local parents. For whatever that's worth.

Visit in person as much as you can, of course, moving is always a big decision. Nevermind the weirdo poster up there. Outdoorsy stuff and fishing abounds here. Look at all the parks up and down the coast. Do you value a good environment, clean water and wetlands, and environmental education for kids? I am guessing yes but just curious. If so come on down! I am excited more people that value the environment and education continue to move here. We are becoming a blueberry in tomato soup. Visit the farmers' market on Saturday on Forsyth.
Well the choice was Savannah College and Design it is. Totally loved the school last year when our daughter went there for a week for summer classes. Now she'll love it for four years.

We are going to take our time doing this. Our house is paid for and we have many trips ahead to the area to visit. HOA isn't our thing, but it maybe something as we get older might be the way to go. We can also store our camper so we can go at will and explore. We are coming down for four days in April, again for another 5 days in August to get her settled in. Needless to say, we'll get to really get to know what we like and dislike about areas before we come. Also it'll be easier to interview on those trips down. Hubby is going to start before I do as he can go ahead and start somewhere there while I finish up lose ends here.

We are also thinking to be away from a direct hurricane strike. We remember the destruction with Hugo when it made landfall. I-95 even showed signs of being battered. We've got things to consider for sure.

I like the combination of outdoors and history. We both are big history buffs. So big plus being able to explore all of that too.

Keep ideas coming. These are great tips and serving me well putting together a binder of pluses and minuses. Thank so much!

Old 02-06-2016, 04:58 PM

What are areas that are good in terms of how the economy is going? Not into the touristy areas only because work there is seasonal and being homeowners well that just doesn't cut it to pay taxes yearly. As we know hurricanes are a issues, not looking to have a place flattened due to a storm, surge, etc. Hugo did widespread damage as we had come down to visit family shortly after, and we know it's not a typical storm, it's still in the realm of possibility.

So looking for a more of a suburban area, but not one like were we are-300K in our county. Roads are a nightmare and not interested in traffic for hours on end. A nice town that has under 10k that when you go into a store you recognize neighbors or friends. I can go shopping here for groceries and never once see a soul I know. We are the outcasts here as it's all transplants from lower NYS-ie Long Island, Brooklyn, etc. They took over our nice rural county and made it a bedroom community. Ick.

I am not adverse to buying a older home-early 1900's. As long as it's been redone, that's fine with us. Not into cookie cutter homes that are mcmansions.

So give me more areas to look. While the youngest will be going to college in Savannah, Mom and Dad still need to make a comfortable combined income to pay the bills. 50K for both will keep us comfortable as we've no debt and no mortgage to contend with.

Old 05-15-2016, 05:39 AM

Ok, I've since been back twice in the last month poking around the area. Port Wentworth seems to be lacking in with roadways during peak driving times-took that off our list. Pooler was nice as I stayed right next door to Cracker Barrel and drove around there quite a bit. Lots of construction going on, liked that everything seemed to be situated on one road-but that could make it crazy during peak times if shopping needed to be done. I saw a Beazer development, but way too cookie cutter and too close together for me. Rincon, Richmond Hill areas are something we are looking at too.

I did some asking around about jobs too. I was told to stay away from Savannah-Chatham school district. The reason being was that they are having issues-even though I know they are taking over to have their own fleet of buses. I don't want to jump into another mess like the district I work for now-we've had 10 Superintendent's in 10 years. All top administrator's are bailing and no one is running the show. It's mess and I can't wait to leave it all behind. I may end up looking to work in the tour bus industry, I might as well combine my degree with my license. Lot's of good possibilities for jobs.

Since my family are all native to NC/VA and our grown adult kids are living in FL, we'd be able to easily travel back and forth to see them all. My folks moved to upstate NY back in the 50's and now with them passed on and no other family here it'd be nice to be closer as family members have vacation homes in St. Simon's Island we can visit to.

I did the drive over from Pooler to Tybee Island. That wasn't too bad to get over there. It's probably a different story during the summer months though. I'd go out early by 6am to there and beat that rush anyway. I like the fact it's not a over bearing tourist spot like Myrtle Beach has become-a Wings on every corner. I wish I'd had more time to walk around the light house area. We are both history buffs and this area is abundant in places to see which will keep us exploring for a good long while.

What can you tell me about the Rincon area or Richmond Hill? I like being out a bit and the drive from either of them is manageable to just about anything we'd want to do in terms of work or play. We are not looking to live in McMansions at all. A nice brick ranch is what we are looking for. I am no fan of new homes as they use particle board and want a home with good old Doug Fir and plywood.

Also are there places in the area to hunt? Since hubby has been doing deer hunting all his life, he'd still like to do that. He's in a gun club up here and was wondering if there's ones in nearby?

I am looking to find a storage unit place. I am planning on bringing our camper down to store when we bring our youngest to the college. This way it's down there and I don't have to make more than one trip down when we move.

Have a good Sunday!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or