Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2016, 11:44 AM

5 posts, read 5,409 times

Advertisements

We're a family of 4, soon to be 5 or 6, looking to move to a safe neighborhood in GA. We're not interested in schools, as we homeschool - but homeschool community info would be nice. Also, we're white (with a bunch of stuff mixed in).

Interested in:
-driving distance to the beach (or closer) - this is almost only a preference, but the beach is my rejuvenation spot, so need to be able to visit at least a few times per year...so the closer, the better
-3+ beds, 1.5+ bathrooms (prefer 2 full)
-safe
-low cost of living
-rent to own (if this is a viable option, can cut our rooms down to 2 bedrooms)
-prefer single family homes, but willing to work with anything but a trailer/manufactured home
-playground within walking distance preferred, but can work with driving distance

MUSTS:
-30 mins or less (driving time) to a Walmart (fiance works at one here - he plans on transferring)
-$900 or less per month IF everything is included or based on income housing
-either washer & dryer hook-ups or washer & dryer included
-anything but all carpet

Dealbreakers:
-crime rate is anything like DC or Detroit, MI
-more than an hour's drive to a Wally World (Walmart)
-cost of living is prohibitively high/rent too high
-nothing for the kids to do outside

We can deal with ghetto if need be, due to financial constraints, but would prefer to get OUT of the ghetto.

We *might* be able to afford better closer to moving time, but won't know til then. If there's any information needed that I forgot, please let me know. We are Christian, and church hunting, so if there are any recommendations aside from charismatic, assembly of God, pentacostal, new age, etc, please let me know.

Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2016, 01:11 PM

9,317 posts, read 20,993,806 times
Where is work? That is 1st thing to do before you start looking for where to live?

Work From Home? Long Distance Trucker? Need Airport? ....

Old 01-31-2016, 01:15 PM

Work is listed in my OP:
"-30 mins or less (driving time) to a Walmart (fiance works at one here - he plans on transferring)"

Old 01-31-2016, 05:06 PM

All we really need is close proximity to a walmart, with playground, pool, other shopping, etc, being bonus points. Won't need an airport, either...in fact, we prefer the country. Just don't know how feasible that'll be for us when we move.

Old 01-31-2016, 06:07 PM

6,479 posts, read 7,161,333 times
I think the Savannah area might be a good pick. I would look at suburbs of Savannah like Pooler, Port Wenworth or Bloomingdale. Plus being in Savannah you are only 20-30 minutes from the coast depending on where you live.

Old 01-31-2016, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airforceguy View Post
I think the Savannah area might be a good pick. I would look at suburbs of Savannah like Pooler, Port Wenworth or Bloomingdale. Plus being in Savannah you are only 20-30 minutes from the coast depending on where you live.
Thank you for naming the cities. It's pretty time consuming trying to find them when you don't live in the area or know about them. I'll check them out.

Old 02-01-2016, 07:33 AM

7,480 posts, read 6,253,222 times
If you want a smaller town that will have everything you want, look at Thomasville. Short drive to the Gulf. Very nice town.

Old 02-02-2016, 09:10 AM

10,743 posts, read 13,375,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airforceguy View Post
Absolutely agree with Airforceguy here. You may also consider looking into Brunswick and Augusta.

Old 02-15-2016, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern man View Post
If you want a smaller town that will have everything you want, look at Thomasville. Short drive to the Gulf. Very nice town.
I've heard the Gulf isn't swimmer friendly. Is it only certain beaches or does that apply to the entire Gulf? I have thought of the Gulf, but when I heard the water's not for swimming in, I nixed the idea.

Old 02-15-2016, 10:44 AM

7,480 posts, read 6,253,222 times
St. George Island,Panama City, Destin, are recognized as some of the finest beaches in the USA. I don't understand what you mean by "swimmer friendly".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia