Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2016, 01:13 PM

2,488 posts, read 1,828,214 times

Advertisements

Savannah's MSA is at somewhat of a disadvantage when it comes to boundaries.

Aiken is a part of Augusta's MSA.
Bluffton is NOT a part of Savannah's MSA.

That just doesn't feel right. I see SC tags on cars all the time when I'm in downtown Savannah, so obviously people drive down there from Jasper/southern Beaufort County for stuff.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2016, 01:23 PM

1,980 posts, read 2,084,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BullochResident View Post
That just doesn't feel right. I see SC tags on cars all the time when I'm in downtown Savannah.

There, it depends on regular commuting (i.e., employment) patterns, and according to US Census, not that many folks in Bluffton and Hilton Head work in metro Savannah. But a fair number of Aiken residents are regularly riding over to Augusta-N. Augusta for work.

Old 03-26-2016, 02:03 PM

5,466 posts, read 8,253,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masonbauknight View Post
Percentages are only "tricky" if you don't understand statistics, demographics, and economics. The percentage growth rate is always more significant than raw numbers. (And when one metro is 20 times more populous than another, the percentage rate is the only fair yardstick for comparison.) I live in metro New York City, and the tri-state area gained 614,000 people between 2010 and 2015. But that is not nearly as significant as a few small cities in Nevada, Texas and Florida, which may have gained only 15,000 in the same years. Metro New York is just doing OK, but some Nevada and Texas towns are booming.

In Savannah's case -- as noted by BullockRes -- even Savannah's raw numbers exceeded Augusta's, a larger metro by one-third. That is an overwhelming 5-year statistic in addition to percentage. Bottom line: Savannah is now growing a bit faster than even Georgia's megacity, Atlanta, while Charleston is growing significantly faster than much larger Charlotte.
I understand them very well. But raw numbers are what is really added. If one city has a bigger percentage growth than another city, but not raw numbers; the gap still isn't closing. That's just my view.

Old 03-26-2016, 03:37 PM
PJA

2,460 posts, read 3,155,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BullochResident View Post
Savannah's MSA is at somewhat of a disadvantage when it comes to boundaries.

That just doesn't feel right. I see SC tags on cars all the time when I'm in downtown Savannah, so obviously people drive down there from Jasper/southern Beaufort County for stuff.
Aiken County also has North Augusta which is right across the river so the situations are a little different.

Although you may have more of a valid argument using Edgefield county, since the closest city in Edgefield County is Edgfield and its 27.9 miles from Augusta.

At the end of the day however commuting patterns determine MSA stats and not necessarily proximity.

Old 03-26-2016, 05:39 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,789,455 times
Quote:
There, it depends on regular commuting (i.e., employment) patterns, and according to US Census, not that many folks in Bluffton and Hilton Head work in metro Savannah. But a fair number of Aiken residents are regularly riding over to Augusta-N. Augusta for work.
A surprising number of Chtaham County residents work in Beaufort and Jasper counties, including many of my friends. A Savannah-HHI CSA is likely by 2020.

Also, Savannah continues to climb the Nielsen TV DMA rankings, up one (to 91st) from last year, which is bigger than Charleston (94) and Augusta (112). TV news has gotten VERY competitive in Savannah in the past year and is kicking ASS! All three of the local stations (WTOC, WSAV, WJCL/WTGS) have made huge investments in staff and resources and it shows. The quality and aggressiveness of our local TV news operations in the past year is mind-boggling and really the talk of the town. When the TV stations up their game to the degree that people on the streets are TALKING about it -- that's a very exciting thing for a news junkie like me.

http://www.tvb.org/media/file/2015-2016-dma-ranks.pdf

Savannah's airport is also booming by leaps and bounds, another thing that sets us WAY apart from all the other 2nd tier metros.

Last edited by Newsboy; 03-26-2016 at 05:51 PM..

Old 03-26-2016, 07:17 PM

1,327 posts, read 1,901,410 times
I've never been a fan of using MSA and CSA. To me it skews the size of an area. Urban population to me offers a more accurate representation of continuous development. Not in the case of say Atlanta where tens of thousands of people work in an edge city so they live farther out which adds more and more outlying counties to the count.

Old 03-27-2016, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpatt.marine1 View Post
MSA and CSA...skews the size of an area. Urban population to me offers a more accurate representation of continuous development. Not in the case of say Atlanta where tens of thousands of people work in an edge city so they live farther out which adds more and more outlying counties to the count.

That's certainly a popular view here on C-D, but I've never agreed with it. Many American cities outside the Northeast haven't developed in an "urban-continuous" manner at all, especially in the Sunbelt. They're egregiously spread out. Settlement is often anything but continuous, nor are neighborhoods contiguous. Many Georgia suburbs are in fact exurbs (Rincon near Savannah) and were able to thrive for all sorts of reasons: cheap gas, white flight, a better school system, etc. Savannah goes one more: wetlands separate many communities, and yet it's all still Savannah and people will tell you "We're from Savannah." That's because they are so linked to the city: its public schools, policing, shopping, health care, and much else. Some of these communities aren't counted in the Census definition of "urbanized area." They are counted in the MSA definition, and I think it's more accurate in the 21st century.

Old 03-27-2016, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
A surprising number of Chtaham County residents work in Beaufort and Jasper counties, including many of my friends. A Savannah-HHI CSA is likely by 2020.

Also, Savannah continues to climb the Nielsen TV DMA rankings, up one (to 91st) from last year, which is bigger than Charleston (94) and Augusta (112).

Savannah's airport is also booming by leaps and bounds, another thing that sets us WAY apart from all the other 2nd tier metros.

We'll see in 2023, when the US Census reviews the commuting stats. I still think the degree of separation between Savannah and South Carolina endures, but perhaps that will look different once the MSA tops 400,000 in 2020.

Agree about the local news in Savannah. It's often more serious than local New York City newscasts at 6 and 11 PM. In NY, it's mostly "happy talk" now. People must really be depressed in Brooklyn to need this much "cheering up." Don't be shocked, but they giggle much less in the local Savannah newscasts.

I like the Savannah-HH airport, too. One of the best-laid-out anywhere.

Old 03-27-2016, 02:27 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,789,455 times
Quote:
We'll see in 2023, when the US Census reviews the commuting stats. I still think the degree of separation between Savannah and South Carolina endures, but perhaps that will look different once the MSA tops 400,000 in 2020.

Agree about the local news in Savannah. It's often more serious than local New York City newscasts at 6 and 11 PM. In NY, it's mostly "happy talk" now. People must really be depressed in Brooklyn to need this much "cheering up." Don't be shocked, but they giggle much less in the local Savannah newscasts.

I like the Savannah-HH airport, too. One of the best-laid-out anywhere.
I still remember the first time I went to NYC years ago and watched the local news. Couldn't believe how cheesy and boring it was. YAWN! Of course this was before the era of TABLOID TV news but still, from my observation NYC local news remains remarkably reserved (compared to, say, Miami or Los Angeles or even Atlanta where it's bonkers in-your-face a mile a minute).

As a keen and educated (insider) observer of Savannah TV news for more than 20 years, I can't say enough about how GOOD it has gotten. I've never seen anything like it in a market this size, and can only give credit to the fact that we've got three corporate owners all with BIG news reputations and deep pockets who are willing to fight each other for a share of the audience now (rather than just get by). And the viewers / consumers / community are the winners. We're getting REAL TV journalism at a time when Savannah truly needs good journalism (crime, corruption etc.)

Old 03-27-2016, 05:37 PM

2,233 posts, read 2,111,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpatt.marine1 View Post
I've never been a fan of using MSA and CSA. To me it skews the size of an area. Urban population to me offers a more accurate representation of continuous development. Not in the case of say Atlanta where tens of thousands of people work in an edge city so they live farther out which adds more and more outlying counties to the count.
When do we receive those numbers?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia