Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2016, 12:52 PM

1,987 posts, read 2,110,011 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SavannahLife View Post
Yes in Georgia we are fortunate not just that most islands are state or federal parks but that the culture here values what we have. Myrtle Beach or Daytona are not what most locals aspire to be, it seems. I am thankful for this every day. The entire Georgia coast has stood the test of time. For now. There is nothing like being on the boneyard beach of Jekyll, Cumberland or Blackbeard. We must remain vigilant for threats like the Enron/Kinder Morgan Palmetto Pipeline debacle. I am really impressed with our Governor of late actually, on this and many other recent issues, I am liking Deal.

I'm liking Deal, too. Very pleasantly surprised of late myself.

I think Mutiny is referring to a similar urbanization pattern up and down the South Atlantic coast, from VA south to Miami. Yes, Georgia has more protected barrier islands, and that is unique. But the kind of growth around Savannah or Brunswick-Jekyll Island is similar. And growth rates for all the urbanized areas along the South Atlantic coast are similar: Hilton Head-Beaufort slightly above Savannah, Wilmington about the same, Myrtle Beach through the roof, Brunswick slower but growing faster than average for a Georgia metro, and most all the Florida metros growing just below or just above Savannah's 2010-15 growth rate of 9.1%, which is excellent. All this follows the usual coastal model: sprawl. He's not making anything up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2016, 03:15 PM

4,582 posts, read 8,972,542 times
I see the point in places like Pooler, for example. There is not enough regulation regarding growth and development (granted, a lot of what we see in Pooler was planned to be that way, but it wasn't the smartest way to do it).

If the Savannah area were to somehow have a HUGE influx of jobs and soon after a major influx of more people (a growth rate of over 20% in a few short years as an example), the area wouldn't grow very well. Just more sprawl.

Old 04-01-2016, 03:19 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,921,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingImport View Post
I see the point in places like Pooler, for example. There is not enough regulation regarding growth and development (granted, a lot of what we see in Pooler was planned to be that way, but it wasn't the smartest way to do it).

If the Savannah area were to somehow have a HUGE influx of jobs and soon after a major influx of more people (a growth rate of over 20% in a few short years as an example), the area wouldn't grow very well. Just more sprawl.
Don't forget that the who New Hampstead district of West Savannah (within the city limits, bounded by Fort Argyle Road and I-16) is zoned for 20,000 residences (houses NOT people) and has yet to see the first house built -- but it does have a (already overcrowded) high school.

There is a TON of land left in West Chatham just waiting for THE BOOM -- and it's all been master planned.

Old 04-01-2016, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
Don't forget that the who New Hampstead district of West Savannah (within the city limits, bounded by Fort Argyle Road and I-16) is zoned for 20,000 residences (houses NOT people) and has yet to see the first house built -- but it does have a (already overcrowded) high school.

There is a TON of land left in West Chatham just waiting for THE BOOM -- and it's all been master planned.
Exactly. As you quoted from Dan Cathy in another thread, THIS IS UNSUSTAINABLE! ..and not smart at all. While I find the potential population growth exciting, I'm scared at the end result of a further gridlocked West Chatham AND the ultimate end result; what happens when new is not new anymore and the subpar quality of these developments leading these neighborhoods to become slums. Certain parts of South Gwinnett, for example.

Old 04-01-2016, 06:27 PM

2,099 posts, read 2,276,335 times
Savannah is a great place, and 25%-ish growth over the next decade would be good, just the right amount for a bump of new businesses and vibrancy. The powers that be seem to have planned for doubling or tripling the population though. Mostly the west county. Higher taxes, longer commutes, and way more sprawl. I support residents of Pooler or wherever deciding their own fate. But if the entire county becomes sprawl that would be a bit of a loss for us all. Time will tell.

Old 04-01-2016, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SavannahLife View Post
Savannah is a great place, and 25%-ish growth over the next decade would be good, just the right amount for a bump of new businesses and vibrancy. The powers that be seem to have planned for doubling or tripling the population though. Mostly the west county. Higher taxes, longer commutes, and way more sprawl. I support residents of Pooler or wherever deciding their own fate. But if the entire county becomes sprawl that would be a bit of a loss for us all. Time will tell.
The current growth rate over the decade is at 9% or so. 25% is insane.

Old 04-02-2016, 05:03 PM

1,987 posts, read 2,110,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingImport View Post
The current growth rate over the decade is at 9% or so. 25% is insane.
No, Wanderin' -- the growth rate of 9.1% was over 2010-2015, thus the rate for the entire 2010-2020 decade will probably be over 18%, same as in 2000-2010. While 25% is possible, I rather doubt it. Savannah continues its boom over two decades. No other GA metros are in that category except for Atlanta and Gainesville.

Agree with you about unsustainable suburban sprawl. It's awful what's happening in West Chatham. It will be a transportation nightmare for residents, commuters, and visitors in coming years. South Abercorn and the totally gonzo-style development of Georgetown (one entrance, just as it had in 1981) is an example. That's the southern "model" for cities of Savannah's size: Public transportation is for poor people, and the six-lane highway and strip mall are king. And with Savannah's geography -- hemmed in by wetlands; all growth and development to the west, not in the aging Southside -- the future looks horrible. But no one cares. Urban planning, the smart kind as in Portland OR, is Communism and an assault on our freedoms. Too bad. But West Chatham in 2030 will be a monster you wish you could kill.

Last edited by masonbauknight; 04-02-2016 at 05:27 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia