U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-28-2016, 02:04 PM

8 posts, read 14,799 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I am married with two small children. I am a recent college graduate with a degree in Organizational Leadership. My husband is an owner operator. We are currently located in Charlotte and are looking to move to GA. I am looking for a good family atmosphere, with nearby grocery stores, YMCA, and awesome schools. We are looking to spend about 900-1200 month is rent preferably a 3/2 or 4/2 with a lot of space. I have a lot of experience in the healthcare/customer service field/sales and a little bit of transportation. What would be a good area for both of our careers. I would like to be in an area where I could find a Mon-Friday job paying at 35k up a year. Thanks for your help!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2016, 08:10 PM

6,648 posts, read 8,152,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kss3h View Post
Hello,

I am married with two small children. I am a recent college graduate with a degree in Organizational Leadership. My husband is an owner operator. We are currently located in Charlotte and are looking to move to GA. I am looking for a good family atmosphere, with nearby grocery stores, YMCA, and awesome schools. We are looking to spend about 900-1200 month is rent preferably a 3/2 or 4/2 with a lot of space. I have a lot of experience in the healthcare/customer service field/sales and a little bit of transportation. What would be a good area for both of our careers. I would like to be in an area where I could find a Mon-Friday job paying at 35k up a year. Thanks for your help!!
You need to do this in the Atlanta forum.

These areas are firmly a part of metro Atlanta and that forum is much more active.

Lawrenceville is in a major suburban county (aprox. 900,000 people) and there are many different types of areas, neighborhoods and jobs. You will be priced out of some areas. I'm not sure your budget will get you exactly what yo want, but there are cheaper areas.

Your budget will definitely go further in Conyers. The area is a bit more working class and hasn't seen as much growth, but it definitely has kept its unique character. You might also consider searching nearby in Covington. The area isn't very developed making homes with space a bit more affordable. The issue is whether or not you can find a job.

There are exceptions to the rule, but at your price point I would recommend steering clear of Stone Mountain. You will likely be drawn in by alot of cheap properties, but there is a reason they are cheap given their decent location.

I would recommend you consider searching Henry County. It is on the quieter side of town, but there is a bit more growth and wealth in small parts of it. This means there will be cheaper areas to live in parts and potential for jobs in other parts.

The good thing is there are hospitals and doctors offices all throughout town. You might want to base your search on where you might find traction searching for a job. No sense moving to Conyers if you can't get a job there, but you can get a job in Stockbridge... or vice versa.

Also, consider Newnan in Coweta County. There is a good deal of growth there, which hopefully should bring new job opportunities.

Old 03-31-2016, 08:30 PM

11 posts, read 9,026 times
I live in Lawrenceville and like the area. Schools are pretty good. If I were looking now I would go a little further out towards Dacula/Auburn/Bethlehem area. Still good schools but not quite as hectic. Conyers area is becoming questionable as is Stone Mountain area

Old 04-01-2016, 01:48 PM

2,819 posts, read 9,576,413 times
Post Info

Here are a few questions for you with some information.

You state your husband is an owner operator, I gather trucking. Been in the industry 30 years myself.
Does your husband captive contract haul or open?

If you are looking for good schools, safe neighborhoods, healthcare occupations, and truck being truck business friendly then come to my paradise aka Auburn/Dacula.

Schools: Dacula school cluster is very good. Recently Dacula High received some bad press from the Atlanta Urinal and Constipation the Atlanta paper as having a high number of suspensions. This is because Dacula High has a no tolerance policy and will discipline to the max. They have tough principal which is well liked in the area. Dacula Middle is good and Mulberry Elementary for example is rated one of the highest.

Medical: Gwinnett Medical in Lawrenceville and the overall surrounding complexes are very large. Gwinnett has 900,000 people and growing. Medical care is good and job opportunities are good also. In Braselton just north (Thus Dacula/Auburn being in the middle) has just built the new Northeast Georgia Medical complex outside of Del Webb. One of the highest rated cardiac hospitals in the nation. Many medical professionals are moving to the area from out of state to work there. Overall, the hospital is based in Gainesville.

Trucking: Braselton do to distribution is becoming a trucking hub. Name it they have it, warehousing galore and also growing from (since your husband is in trucking) marker 115-137 on Interstate 85 to the 166 marker truck stop there is just about 100 distribution points. The next trucking hub is Forest Park, where you don't want to live.

Housing: There are some rentals and many are in HOA controlled developments which will require the renter to maintain the property and lawns. You will pay more, but you get what you pay for.

Crime: Well if you are in Mecklenburg County NC, then you will enjoy less crime here. Yes, Georgia has crime locations (DeKalb, South Fulton, Clayton, Chatham, Daugherty County) but for the most part you can go right here to city data and see for the most part Georgia as a whole ranks better in crime per capita than North Carolina. Auburn, GA for example rated #1 for 2013-15 by Safewise. Good Mayor.

Just some info. Good Luck.

Old 04-12-2016, 06:51 AM

Thank you so much for your information. Yes he is in trucking.

Old 04-12-2016, 06:53 AM

Thank you everyone of your feedback. I appreciate it very much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or