Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-09-2016, 11:03 AM

911 posts, read 2,154,440 times

Advertisements

We bought a fixer home about a year and a half ago, and was able to make many repairs on it but never finished it due to finding the property of our dreams elsewhere and beginning to invest in that. It would help us immensely if we could sell this house that with some repair could more than double it's value. We've put in much of the work. My question is, is it possible to sell a home that doesn't pass inspection, if you are up front about everything? Can people get a loan for a home that doesn't pass inspection? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2016, 11:18 AM

11,334 posts, read 26,074,740 times
I'm sure it's possible. Why not talk to a selling agent?

Old 05-09-2016, 12:49 PM

I was hoping there'd be someone in the field on here, but if not, I'll give someone a call.

Old 05-09-2016, 12:59 PM

9,317 posts, read 20,992,198 times
Honestly your best bet is to sell it to (another) investor who can go in and flip it.

Most people buying a home for themselves, want the house as close to turn key as possible. They don't want to pay rent/mortgage and get a construction load to finish the place they are getting. Since there is no/way they could get a conventional mortgage on it.

Old 05-09-2016, 01:41 PM

4,690 posts, read 10,410,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyonpa View Post
Honestly your best bet is to sell it to (another) investor who can go in and flip it.

Most people buying a home for themselves, want the house as close to turn key as possible. They don't want to pay rent/mortgage and get a construction load to finish the place they are getting. Since there is no/way they could get a conventional mortgage on it.
Yes and no. I would *never* buy a house that's been 'flipped', 99% of the time they are complete botch jobs (I've bought 4 homes in 3 states since 2006 ~ I've looked at a *LOT* of property).

Not only have I paid both rent and mortgage, I know lots of others who have done so. Same group actually look for things to owner renovate so we can save money on the purchase price. Yes, we ARE the exception rather than the rule (ugh, I have 2 brother-in-laws, both bought houses in the past 6 months and didn't even fricking CLEAN before moving in, yuck!), my point is that we are out there in every market.

As for the loan, it'll be for what an appraiser says the property is worth. My current property took 8 months of work before it was livable, just a normal home mortgage and we did nothing special to make it work.

OP, you need to ask a estate agent what your options are based on the condition of the property. Someone might be able to help online, but you're going to need to give a Ton more information about the property first... like what you mean by "fixer". To some people it's down to bare studs, no floor, no wiring, no plumbing... to others it meas a place needs a cleaning and some fresh paint. Easy sell on one side, no headaches or issues in the least... and quite the opposite on the other side, with a HUGE range between the two.

Old 05-09-2016, 05:22 PM

This home is somewhere in between. Needs water heater, the kitchen has nothing, not even countertops, there's a couple places that need patching... A couple windows need replacing. Otherwise liveable. We've put in a lot... Claw foot tub, whole new bathroom, installed propane, converted to open concept... Landscaped and painted the outside... Built sheds... Just a ton of work. However, we were on solar and not hooked up to conventional electric. That's not something we want to pay for To have installed. Also a handful of other things that may or may not make it up to code, I guess I should look into what those things are.

Old 05-10-2016, 12:12 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,907,102 times
I've got a friend who flips houses all the time -- he's very good at in fact. The houses all turn out beautiful and he makes ridiculous returns on his original investment. However, he'll often gut a house or have it half finished before somebody comes along and makes him an offer based on potental. So yeah, it can be done. But it's quite possible those are cash transactions.

Also, though I don't know the name of the program, you can purchase a distressed home and finance the cost of renovations into the price of the loan. Obviously, these houses aren't going to pass any inspection. But banks still give loans on them based on the potential finished project, so ...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia