Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2006, 11:03 AM

3 posts, read 9,895 times

Advertisements

I'm 20 years old and have found a new interest in the south. I am from MD but have recently gained some friends down in GA, just outside of Atlanta. I'm at a point in my life where i can move without any real attachments here in MD. Mostly I'm scared that once I move down I will hate it even though I've visited 3 times and loved it even more each time. I have a free place to live so the only thing that is holding me back is the money situation. I'm nervous about leaving everything I know up here in MD, but I know I don't want to be here anymore. Does anyone have any advice?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2006, 04:02 PM

10,022 posts, read 15,665,421 times
If you have a free place to stay, why not? You can always leave. Did you check out the job situation?

Old 11-24-2006, 10:23 PM

I work at IKEA right now, and they said I could transfer to the Atlanta store if I wanted. The main thing that's holding me back is not being able to see my friends and family. I know I will make new friends besides the one I will move in with, but it's still a big change. Anymore advice? I'm open to both the good and the bad.

Old 11-25-2006, 10:23 AM

321 posts, read 1,556,926 times
I was in a similar situation. I lived in Virginia, had a good life and good job and I guess I was a bit bored. A good friend was down here and kept saying, come to Georgia, it's so laid back and the people are so friendly and there are horses everywhere.

Wrong! But I'm still here 11 years later because I met a man, and now we're working on getting out.

Old 11-26-2006, 04:42 AM

17,833 posts, read 33,118,863 times
let's see
free place to stay
being able to transfer your job
A chance to experience a new area
I'd be packing my bags
why not !!
the only thing I would really look at is do you make enough to be able to afford your own place in a couple of months? Staying with friends is great but can get old unless you turn it into a roommate situation where you pay your share.
You can fly home to visit your friends and family or they can fly to see you.
This is a time in your life that will never happen again,the freedom to be able to experience something new.
worse case you hate it, you move back(I would find out from IKEA if you could transfer back to the MD store if it doesn't work out)
Heck if I was 20 again with no attachments I would work on a cruise ship for a year
Life is to short not to experience new places if you get the chance.
Good luck
Karla

Old 11-26-2006, 08:59 AM

thanks for all the info, i think i've made my decision. I'm taking a leave of absence from work in january to go down for 2 weeks to get myself acquainted with the new surroundings. My living situation would be permanent, not just temporary. i think it's a good choice for me. I'll also be looking for a school to go to. I'm going into the criminal justice/forensic field. Does anyone have any recommendations?

Old 11-27-2006, 03:05 PM

17,833 posts, read 33,118,863 times
good for you gasomeday !!!
best of luck with the move
can't help you with school info as we will be moving to the atlanta area ourselves in feb so I don't know the area yet. but there are some great folks on this board that are quite knowledgeable
Karla

Old 11-27-2006, 03:25 PM
LLD

654 posts, read 3,072,380 times
Life is short so I say carpe diem. It's always been my philosophy. I started moving around the country when I was 28 and a single parent! I have never regretted it. But I'm very outgoing and social and normally make friends easily.

If change stresses you out, or you are shy or too scared to enjoy the adventure then cross state or cross country moves aren't for you. But it sounds like you have made up your mind. Just think of it as another adventure in your life -- and nothing says you can't move again either.

Old 11-28-2006, 07:48 AM

4,416 posts, read 9,140,200 times
I say go for it! Life is short. I have learned my lesson and am aching to leave once again. Im somewhat older than you and am planning a grandn exit soon. I've been to GA. I ike it but Im heading for Austin!

Old 11-28-2006, 08:47 AM
LLD

654 posts, read 3,072,380 times
I can recommend Austin -- lived there almost 5 years! Great town! Housing prices have been driven up by Californians though as happened in Phoenix and Albuquerque too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
View detailed profiles of: