U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2007, 01:08 PM

1,418 posts, read 9,511,871 times

Advertisements

I was born and raised in Central Florida. I seriously considered moving to Atlanta Georgia three different times in my life. Just couldn't pull the trigger. As much as I love North Georgia, I can't stand Atlanta. It's just too big and too disfunctional for me. The city itself is so poor that the politicians are constantly trying to hi-jack the other counties that have nothing to do with Fulton County, to pay for Atlanta's problems. If the city that so much of greator Atlanta is built around, is so awful, it just doesn't interest me in the least.

Now, once you go about 1 hour north of Atlanta, things start to get real nice. Work is a different story, but if you can live anywhere and make a living on your own time and labor, then that's the place to be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2007, 02:54 PM

85 posts, read 206,504 times
Grover-Keep the faith your house will sell. Our rental property recieved an offer on the last day of our contract with the realtor and this was back in December.

Our current home is in a sought after community so I do not think that it will be a problem.

Chelsea-I am by no means dissing GA it gave me opportunities that I may have not gotten up North. However unless your were born and bread in the North then you can't relate.

I love the humanistic feel of the North. I do not understand the segregation of the south.

In parts of GA there is sadly a circa 1920 feel.

Believe me I will miss my home but all of this square footage means nothing when I am isolated inside majority of the time and lonely. Give me Broadway, The Guggenheim, The Smthsonian, and just plain ole diversity!

Old 07-02-2007, 11:08 PM

276 posts, read 1,043,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellydance2290 View Post
My husband and I moved to Atlanta 6 years ago and can't wait to move away! We are both from Florida so have decided to move home. I can't stand the traffic, the crime, the lack of pedestrian areas, lack of coastline, southern mentality etc.
I live in FL now and all the things you mention GA are lacking is not going to be found in FL. I have lived here 3 yrs and SOME people are hospitable and friendly but most are RUDE,IGNORANT,THINK THEY ARE BETTER THAN, and just plain UNFRIENDLY...and TRAFFIC. I am origionally from BOSTON and traffic here in FL is far worst than BOSTON anyday....yes there are beaches etc and it is warmer here all the time but at what cost...I am moving to GA and I fully expect to find the southern hospitality that you mention is lacking ...I have found all the people I have met and spoken to, to be friendly, kind and very hospitable. I cant wait...GOOD LUCK WITH your move back to FL, Taxes and Homeowners is outrageous and they keep raising this to lower that...DUH....its just ludicrious....Hope you find happiness wherever your heart leads you....Take Care ..Lisa

Last edited by nibseysgirl; 07-02-2007 at 11:09 PM.. Reason: spelling lol

Old 07-02-2007, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabound View Post
Ummm and you want to move BACK to Florida to avoid the things you don't like about Atlanta when in fact Florida is just as bad if not worse in some areas. Trust me, alot has changed here in Florida in the past 6 years... Alot has changed in the past 12 months really.
So very true...GA here I come...feeling the warm florida breezes on the back as I kiss it goodbye...Take Care

Old 12-13-2007, 01:33 PM

2 posts, read 4,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grover View Post
I agree, I've been here for 2 years, and our house is already on the market. We are from NY, about 1 1\2 hour north of the city. This area just wasn't for us. Low paying jobs, if you can find one, traffic, and no relief in sight to the growth. I don't understand why they don't see the overcrowding, and try to do something about it. Stop the new sub-divisions for a year or two, until you can beef up the roads and schools. Southern hospitality? We didn't find any, other than people trying to shove church down your throat. One of the first ???'s always asked, when you meet a southern person is, which church you attend. I was never asked that in the Northeast. My religion was my business.
I guess overall, we just miss the culture and the people of the Northeast, (in my opinion, much friendlier). Everything down here just seems so generic.
I agree with you 100%. I moved here two years ago from Baltimore and it was one of the worst decisions I ever made. I would not have believed it had I not seen it for myself. AT-HELL

Old 12-13-2007, 01:44 PM

2 posts, read 4,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHELSEA37 View Post
To Eveyone Who Is Dissing Georgia, I Love Atlanta, Crime Is Eveywhere, Don't Be So Stupid, There's Nowhere You Can Go That Doesn't Have Crime. I Visit Atlanta Every Year & I'm Moving To Atlanta Soon Because Atlanta Has Better Jobs, Variey Of People, And Ther Is No Southern Mentallity, Because Everyone I've Met Have Moved To Atlanta From Somewhere Else.
DON"T DO IT

Old 12-13-2007, 06:30 PM

1,072 posts, read 1,650,495 times
Metro Atlanta and probably Athens are the only places I would consider living in GA. Wouldn't mind a vacation home in the mountains, but would be too boring to live there full-time.
Have friends who have been trying to sell their home in Disgusta for the past 9 months.. dropped the price three times.. still won't sell. They are eager to move to Sandy Sprigs and get the heck out of Disgusta.. but have to sell their house first, the wife was carjacked last month at a grocery store parking lot. They tell say they never had a problem with crime in Atlanta.. but since they moved to Disgusta, it's been one incident after another.

Old 12-14-2007, 07:16 PM

Hi there,
I have lived in the Northeast(MA and NH) 40 years plus and recently moved from FL to GA and although I agree that the job market is a hard thing(my husband who is an educated and expirienced business manager has not been able to find a job even though he has excellent references and applications literally everywhere within a 50 mile radius) he has not been able to find a job until recently, he loves the job so far but the commute is an hour on a bad day(from Snellville to Atlanta) and he has to pay almost 10.00 a day for parking(which I think is totally BS considering the location and that the parking garage is owned by the city of Atlanta and so is his employment)...
We love GA. Find people to be so friendly and sincere. I understand why people from the north are thrown by the "Church" thing. Funny that is one of the things that has drawn our family to the area, I have not had 1 person ask me what church I go too(which I do attend regularly by choice not pressure) but being from the N I know what everyone means by it seems they are pushy and nosie..I was warned of this b4 and it would not be a surprise if someone did ask but its been a surprise that after so many people have told to to be aware of it that nobody has asked my husband or myself...
I am still getting used to the area overall but I love it and its a great place to raise a family..Family values, great food prices, schools are pretty good overall and people are friendly and hospitable..Housing market is awesome and taxes and insurance are reasonable and not over the top. I pay in GA what I paid in NH 5 yrs ago and houses here are much bigger, more land and just more peaceful in my area at least..
I love the change of seasons here in GA without much chance of snow..A little more water would be great(Ok A LOT) and a better job market(available) would be awesome but hopefully both of those things will be on the incline...I think GA is a great alternative if you dont want SNOW and or HARSH winter weather and not HELL HOT....Its not for everyone but I am so glad we made the move..Its been a great life since day one!!!
Good Luck all....
I personally would not be any other place

Old 12-14-2007, 07:18 PM

As far as better jobs it depends on what your field is and how far you are willing to travel but I am with you overall...GA has been a great move and I am so glad I took the chance and made the move to GA....Its a great life with great people and a fantastic place to raise kids...And you bet there is crime everywhere...From the biggest city to the smallest jerkwater town..You cant escape it...you can deny it or think it will never happen in your town , city or neighborhood but that doesnt mean it wont because the probability is possible.
Take Care

Old 12-14-2007, 08:07 PM

16,248 posts, read 21,938,069 times
I like Georgia but, yes, I am tiring of Atlanta. I would rather live in Savannha or Brunswick.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or