Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2008, 02:25 PM

5 posts, read 35,198 times

Advertisements

Agree with above in that more specific dislikes would be helpful. As for us, we're moving to Rome in early July. From what I have seen so far, adequate and even excellent health care will not be a problem with the Harbin Clinic (the alleged "Mayo Clinic of the South") and Floyd Medical Center.

As for shopping, the mall is lacking stores you'd actually want to go to, and 3 (count em) THREE Walmarts which is 2 too many IMHO. There is a Sam's Club in town though. The good news--ground has officially been broken on the complex that will include a Target and Best Buy on the east side of town with an ETA of three years or less. Also, both Chattanooga and Atlanta are about an hour away and have everything you could possibly want. We especially love Chattanooga and look forward to many day trips there, though with gas prices we may be taking scooters
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2008, 09:30 AM

41 posts, read 152,990 times
Default Frow13

Please post what you discover about ROME. We're planning to take a trip there soon and we're looking at Rome for retirement. Your thoughts, concerns, joys..all of that would be much appreciated. How many times did you visit before deciding to move there?

Old 06-29-2008, 08:54 AM

5 posts, read 35,198 times
Default Bellaroma

I would be an extremely limited source of info at this point. We've visited only twice so far and still will not actually be living there for another few weeks. Also, my perspective is very different as the job came first. We then asked, given the job is this a place we could actually live? If it wasnt for the job its highly unlikely we would have moved to this part of the country as we are dreaded "Northerners."

The factors that led us to believe that Rome was "livable" for us included the chance to buy a house we could never afford in other places we were looking, the fact that it is family oriented, and proximity to larger cities. Also we took into account Rome's potential to grow and attract businesses(stores, restaurants,etc) we frequent.

I think it would be much more fair to Rome to actually live there for a while before giving impressions so we're going in with an open mind!

Old 06-29-2008, 04:02 PM

561 posts, read 1,512,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bellaroma View Post
Can you give some details as to why you don't like Rome? I'm planning to visit there soon and we're considering retiring there. We're a family of three and my daughter will be 15 when we take early retirement. We're just looking for the simple life, but we still want basic conveniences and access to good medical care. Any help from anyone would be greatly appreciated.

To each his or her very own! I think Rome is a nice place. If I didn't live next door in Alabama, I would certain consider it. Rome has excellent medical facilities--I chose doctors in Rome over those in Chattanooga! Rome doesn't have the traffic conjestion of Atlanta and Chattanooga. There's shopping, but sometimes you'll want to go to the larger cities for better selections...I do! Hey, Rome has a Starbucks, so you know it's not totally uncivilized....can't say that about my neck of the woods! Do yourself a favor and make a trip to Rome, spend a little time. That's really the best way to see if it's a fit for you and your family. Here's a link for the local paper, hope it helps: Rome News - Tribune Good luck!

Old 07-18-2008, 08:45 PM

Default Ynot

Thanks so much for the link to the local paper in Rome. We've lived in Baton Rouge for 25 years and it's going to be hard to leave. We have a beautiful home here, but we want to scale down and since Katrina, Baton Rouge has exploded with construction and lots of traffic. Thanks again for your help!

Old 07-20-2008, 09:01 AM

31 posts, read 92,721 times
I live in Euharlee which is located between cartersville and rome. I love it! The schools are great and the houses are priced right!

Old 07-20-2008, 04:14 PM

433 posts, read 959,388 times
Question High rate of cancer in Rome????

Quote:
Originally Posted by goozer View Post
I like Rome. I think it is a nice mix of the the modern and the country. You've got Berry College up there which gives it a bit of a college town feel. You've also got an authentic "Georgia" vibe that seems to be lacking in most of metro Atlanta. In terms of where else to live in NW Georgia, Rome is kind of the "big city" up there, although some people who work there are drawn to Cedartown and Cartersville. I don't necessarily think that Rome is going to set the world on fire anytime soon and grow into a major economic engine in the state, but I don't think it is on the down slope either.
My family is originally from New Jersey, but when I was a teen, we moved to Rome. I lived there for 10 years and loved it -- that was back in the 70s. My father still lives there and loves it.

I recently read some disturbing info on the internet (link below) regarding the high rate of cancer in that area.
[There is other info online other than this link.]

G.E.'s PCB MESS ON GEORGIA'S COOSA RIVER -- SOUND FAMILIAR? (HudsonWatch.net)

According to the article, the author blames G.E.... Now I realize this was written by one man; however, I am a little concerned and was wondering if anyone could shed some light on this topic.

I am considering relocation back to Rome in the immediate future, but this has me scared to move back.

Thinking back, I know of many Romans (including my father) who have developed cancer since 1968. I realize this could happen anywhere, but it seems to be much more prevalent in Rome. Am I misinformed?

Old 07-30-2008, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frow13 View Post
I would be an extremely limited source of info at this point. We've visited only twice so far and still will not actually be living there for another few weeks. Also, my perspective is very different as the job came first. We then asked, given the job is this a place we could actually live? If it wasnt for the job its highly unlikely we would have moved to this part of the country as we are dreaded "Northerners."

The factors that led us to believe that Rome was "livable" for us included the chance to buy a house we could never afford in other places we were looking, the fact that it is family oriented, and proximity to larger cities. Also we took into account Rome's potential to grow and attract businesses(stores, restaurants,etc) we frequent.

I think it would be much more fair to Rome to actually live there for a while before giving impressions so we're going in with an open mind!
Did you read post #17? What do you make of this increased rate of cancer there and the GE plant?

Old 09-02-2008, 09:52 AM

31 posts, read 92,721 times
Have any of you considered Euharlee area. You can get to rome in @25 mins on hwy411 and also cartersville @20 mins. The schools are great. We are getting a new labrary Has an historic covered bridge and park. Soon we are to have a recreation center for kids to play ball. Great neiborhoods police patrolled! Noise ordinance.

Old 09-07-2008, 02:55 PM

73 posts, read 165,168 times
I have lived in Rome now for over an year. Rome is growing, albeit slowly. If only the 'forefathers' had decided to let I-75 move closer this would have been an ideal city. Unfortunately its about 20 miles from the interstate which I personally believe is the major hinderance in its growth. Proximity to a major interstate highway definitely helps....but all is not lost. New developments in town: up and coming Target, Best Buy and possibly another Wallmart close to Kingston. Theres a new strip mall in development accross from Harbin Clinic. Rumor is rife about a new film studio being made on Berry College land. The contract for the development is being drafted reportedly.

The city has too many churches and almost EVERYONE goes to and talks about something related to their religion which can be overbearing at times. You are after all in the true Bible Belt where religion plays an important part in everone's life. Whether thats a plus or a minus depends on your perspective. There is slow and very gradual cultural diversification. Not much else to do in town unless you are part of a church group or are an out doorsy kind as opportunities for biking,golf, tennis, off roading on ATVs, running/jogging etc abound. Rome is more of a chain-restaurant kind of a town as almost all major chain stores and restaurants are open and available. If only the developers had the vision to build better parks, a zoo or something of the kind which could attract visitors. We do have some historic buildings but nothing earth shatterring which can generate substantial revenue and bring in business.

Indeed it lacks in varied recreational activities but makes up for it with its excellent medical facilities and the quality of doctors. However, theres a revolving door as many physicians leave only to be replaced by others as the general thinking process is still 19th century in many spheres. Cities like Dalton and Cartersville are growing at much faster rates than Rome and obviously the medical community follows suit. I hope Rome doesn't lose its edge in the coming future.

The potential and natural beauty of this town is unparalleled but it will take the city years to show up on the horizon. It will take effort, vision and a futuristic approach. A major hinderance in Rome's development is the old fashioned way of thinking so as not to change people's "way of life". If change is to be accomplished then more discrete and diverse steps are to be taken. We all know "Rome was not built in a day" afterall...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia