Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-21-2008, 12:27 PM

14,968 posts, read 9,810,543 times

Advertisements

Am I gonna be a resident soon?

What's the deal with the "invasion" for water?

Water war between the states is for real | ajc.com (broken link)

Last edited by Dave_n_Tenn; 02-21-2008 at 12:36 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2008, 02:25 PM

39 posts, read 146,943 times
Let me the first to welcome you....hope you love paying all these Georgia taxes.
Georgia or I guess I should say Atlanta, because trust me South Ga hates Atlanta, needs to learn how to control this growth....

Old 02-21-2008, 05:03 PM

950 posts, read 3,191,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by South Ga Girl View Post
Let me the first to welcome you....hope you love paying all these Georgia taxes.
Georgia or I guess I should say Atlanta, because trust me South Ga hates Atlanta, needs to learn how to control this growth....
How would you know when, according to your profile, you live in Northeast Georgia?

If Los Angeles, Houston, Dallas and the likes are not going to learn how to control their growths, then Atlanta shouldn't have to.

Old 02-22-2008, 06:06 AM

39 posts, read 146,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian View Post
How would you know when, according to your profile, you live in Northeast Georgia?

If Los Angeles, Houston, Dallas and the likes are not going to learn how to control their growths, then Atlanta shouldn't have to.
Brian,
Do not let the Hoschton fool you I live in Gwinnett County. I watched the Mall of Ga go up and the construction hasn't stopped since. Just in a 3 mile radius of my house, 3,000 homes have been built in the last 5 years. The traffic is getting pretty bad up here. You're right Atlanta will not control the growth. That's why I can't wait to get back to South Ga.

Old 02-22-2008, 06:28 AM

Exclamation Georgia is all wet?

http://www.timesfreepress.com/news/2008/feb/22/tennesseans-say-georgia-all-wet/ (broken link)

Do ya'll think your gonna get anything out of this? maybe just some bad press and wind up looking like a state of fools? or a fools state?

Actually I'm just try to egg-ya on a bit... however I would like to hear some comments about what Georgian's think about changing the state line for additional water access.

Old 02-22-2008, 06:46 AM

138 posts, read 675,819 times
Default Water Woes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_n_Tenn View Post
Am I gonna be a resident soon?

What's the deal with the "invasion" for water?

Water war between the states is for real | ajc.com (http://www.ajc.com/metro/content/metro/stories/2008/02/07/tenn_0208.html?cxntlid=homepage_tab_newstab - broken link)
It's called a drought. Even though the whole state is considered under a drought, there are different degrees of drought throughout the state. Middle Georgia has been luckier when it comes to rain and conservation. The local muncipalities learned a lesson during the flood of 1995 which is to reserve water in case of another flood or drought. Booming Atlanta must do better in conserving what they have. Lake Lanier was almost bone dry last summer. A couple of Georgia state lawmakers want to annex a piece of Tennessee to get more water for North Georgia so they are questioning as to when the state lines were drawn a in the 19th century whether the exact Georgia/Tennessee line which runs through Chattanooga, TN is correct. There are Chattanooga addresses in Georgia already. Georgia says it is not and wants to correct it thereby getting the rights to get water from the river. Tennessee says if Georgia lawmakers want to do anything beyond the political-hot-air stage, what they’re going to have to bring a lawsuit in the U.S. Supreme Court. So hang on for for another war in the South, this time between the Southern states.

Old 02-26-2008, 07:29 AM

Tennessee House Resolution 919 (to Georgia with love)

HOUSE JOINT RESOLUTION 919
By Odom

A RESOLUTION relative to the Tennessee-Georgia boundary.

WHEREAS, action recently taken by our good friends in the Georgia General Assembly
constitutes an assault on the sanctity of the borders of our great State of Tennessee; and

WHEREAS, our legislative neighbors to the south have passed ill-conceived legislation
alleging a boundary dispute between Georgia and Tennessee at the 35th Parallel and purporting
to settle such dispute by the creation of a Boundary Line Commission composed of legislators
from both States; and

WHEREAS, the Peach State alleges that erroneous surveys conducted in 1818 and
1826 with antiquated equipment have deprived Georgia of a tiny sliver of the Tennessee River;
and

WHEREAS, this General Assembly realizes that the Tennessee-Georgia boundary has
been well established for nearly 200 years, and that there is no valid reason for Tennessee to
revisit this issue; and

WHEREAS, in addition to the doctrine of adverse possession, in which long-term
possession of real property trumps survey boundaries, all other pertinent legal precedent favors
the Volunteer State, just as good fortune often smiles upon the righteous; and

WHEREAS, the United States Supreme Court, the highest court in the land, has held in
Oklahoma vs. Texas that there is a “general principle of public law” that, as between States, a
“long acquiescence in the possession of territory under a claim of right and in the exercise of
dominion and sovereignty over it, is conclusive of the rightful authority” and has held in Georgia
vs. South Carolina that “long acquiescence in the practical location of an interstate boundary,
and possession in accordance therewith, often has been used as an aid in resolving boundary
disputes” between States; and

WHEREAS, this General Assembly understands that original jurisdiction in boundary
disputes between the several States of this great nation resides with the United States Supreme
Court, not some entity arbitrarily established by the Georgia legislature via resolution; and

WHEREAS, the State of Tennessee elects to take the high road relative to this mythical
dispute, instead of becoming embroiled in an election-year ploy initiated by the Georgia General
Assembly through legislation which, while purporting to settle a boundary dispute in a friendly
manner, is actually nothing but a veiled attempt to commandeer the resources of the Tennessee
River for the benefit of water-starved Atlanta, which is either unable or unwilling to control its
reckless urban sprawl; and

WHEREAS, instead of engaging in such political rhetoric, this General Assembly is
presently considering substantive measures to address Tennessee’s water supply and water
shortages; perhaps our neighbors to the south should do the same; and

WHEREAS, in the face of Georgia’s heinous assault on the sovereignty of Tennessee,
this General Assembly must act expeditiously and with authority to protect the borders of our
State for present and future generations; now, therefore

BE IT RESOLVED BY THE HOUSE OF REPRESENTATIVES OF THE ONE HUNDRED
FIFTH GENERAL ASSEMBLY OF THE STATE OF TENNESSEE, THE SENATE
CONCURRING, that on behalf of the State of Tennessee and all Tennesseans, this General
Assembly refuses to participate in the Boundary Line Commission purportedly established by
the Georgia General Assembly, or any similar commission established for such purpose.

BE IT FURTHER RESOLVED, that it is the sense of this General Assembly that the
Tennessee-Georgia boundary has been properly established since 1818.

BE IT FURTHER RESOLVED, that enrolled copies of this resolution be delivered to the
Speaker of the House of Representatives and the President of the Senate of the Georgia
General Assembly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia