U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2006, 09:36 AM

16 posts, read 123,843 times

Advertisements

i realized i misspelled a few words or left out some letters hope you can make it out, i was writting too fast.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2006, 01:42 PM

11,319 posts, read 23,054,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHI/MN View Post
I am looking into relocating from MN to Georgia as well.
My wife and I moved to a house in Cobb County (Mableton) from a townhouse in Eden Prairie roughly two years ago, and I think you'll find that the atmosphere can really change depending on the specific community and perhaps even neighborhood you're talking about. There are a lot more "gated" and "covenant" communities down here than I remember in the western and SW Minneapolis burbs, which might make a difference (I think it creates artificial divisions among neighbors to a certain extent).

Old 11-30-2006, 01:45 PM

Quote:
How bad are roaches?
We lived in an older (built in the early 50's) rental house for almost a year, and then moved to a newer (built in 1987) home a year ago, and we've not seen that many roaches. Wood roaches are large, brown, and fast, and seem to get into the house from outside regardless of what you do, but we've not really seen all that many ... and they turn into cat toys in our house, anyway. :-)

Old 11-30-2006, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcsteiner View Post
My wife and I moved to a house in Cobb County (Mableton) from a townhouse in Eden Prairie roughly two years ago, and I think you'll find that the atmosphere can really change depending on the specific community and perhaps even neighborhood you're talking about. There are a lot more "gated" and "covenant" communities down here than I remember in the western and SW Minneapolis burbs, which might make a difference (I think it creates artificial divisions among neighbors to a certain extent).
Sooo, how do you like georgia/your neighborhood, have you adjusted. Oh yea and I see there is a roaches post have you had any problemss?

Old 11-30-2006, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcsteiner View Post
We lived in an older (built in the early 50's) rental house for almost a year, and then moved to a newer (built in 1987) home a year ago, and we've not seen that many roaches. Wood roaches are large, brown, and fast, and seem to get into the house from outside regardless of what you do, but we've not really seen all that many ... and they turn into cat toys in our house, anyway. :-)
Well I see you have had some roach issues, can anyone confirm that there is no getting around them. Also rcsteiner have you seen many or actually how annoying are they

Old 12-03-2006, 04:21 AM

8 posts, read 24,900 times
Default Cobb County

Quote:
Originally Posted by TTBrown View Post
I am also looking to move to Georgia. I have narrowed my search down to Cobb County. I am a single mom with a gifted 6yr old, so it very important I find a very good school. Smyrna or Marietta look like great places to live. I have been told by friends in Georgia to stay away from Lithonia, because of the high crime and bad schools. Snellville and Lawrenceville are good choices also.
I would move to North Gwinette county around Hoschton. Too much crime in Cobb County.

Old 12-03-2006, 10:34 AM

The crime rate looks low in hoschton however where is the diversity the ratio is 97% white? How bad is the crime in cobb? I was also told it was a pretty nice place to live. And the areas I visited seemed nice.

Old 12-08-2006, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Sooo, how do you like georgia/your neighborhood, have you adjusted. Oh yea and I see there is a roaches post have you had any problemss?
I love the neighborhood we're in right now, and I don't plan on going anywhere. If I could move it up to the Minneapolis burbs, I would -- I think it's nicer than anything I could have afforded up there. :-)

I think we've seen three or four wood roaches in the house since July 2005, and at least two were in computer/craft room in the basement, so I'm not too concerned. Very few little ones, and a screen on the garbage disposal drain plus roach traps took care of those.

We had a lot more of them in the McElroy dorm at Mankato State than we see down here (before the school fumigated the place and cancelled all of our roach races). :-(

Old 12-08-2006, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Well I see you have had some roach issues, can anyone confirm that there is no getting around them. Also rcsteiner have you seen many or actually how annoying are they
I don't think we've seen ten of them in total over the past year. Our backyard is all trees and leaves, so that's where the wood roaches live. If you have a grassy yard you might never see one. It's not an issue, really, except to my wife. :-)

Old 12-08-2006, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Turman View Post
I would move to North Gwinette county around Hoschton. Too much crime in Cobb County.
It's dangerous to generalize. Cobb county is extremely diverse, and includes some fairly tranquil areas right near 285 (like Vinings) as well as some more rural areas (like south and west of Douglasville). Also, Kennesaw seems to have created an interesting way to reduce crime in general (mandatory firearm ownership for heads of households within the city limits).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia