Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2006, 11:01 AM

16 posts, read 127,773 times

Advertisements

I am looking into relocating from MN to Georgia as well. I have read quit a few entries in regard to the feelings on moving south. I am originally from Chicago (born and raised), I am used to both living amongst my own as well as being in a multi cultural community as well for the last 13yrs here in MN. For more insite purposes I am black. I love both Chicago and MN although Chicago being my home town I love it most. I don't mind living in a multi cultural area but I must say that one of the things I miss about back home Chi is being a closer community which I believe probably stems from having more in common as far as culture? I miss everyone knowing each other and eachothers children, when someone moves in a the neighbors introduce themselves and may even bring a plant to welcome you in. I am also in nursing school and will be done next year which is when I would be looking to move. I am undecided if I should be looking at either Marietta or Lithonia. The reason I say that is because I've heard good things about both. I know Marietta is more combined in regard multi-culture and Lithonia is prodominately black. I originally had my eye on Marietta. The reason I am looking to come is while I love Chi I have become acostume to a more laid back environment MN used to offer, yet I hate snow. Also my children 2 of which will be college bound and one middle school I believe has missed out on knowing what a close knit neighborhood is like. Right now my little one doesn't have friends in the nieghborhood we have to travel to pick her friends up and bring them over. Sorry for the long posting, I just have a lot of questions and wanted to give some background. Also I was hoping to get a little in between Chi and MN in regard to atmosphere. Please give feedback. thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2006, 11:56 AM

Default Relocation

Are there still close knit communities, southern hospitality, good neighborhoods. Can I find any of this in Marietta or Lithonia. How bad are roaches? How bad will it possibly be for my husband to find a job I wll be an RN and he has worked for Boston Scientific fo 8 years in research with the animals but doesn't have a degree. We are big believers in God providing us with what we'll need. I know its supposedly scares in regard to jobs but I don't want to let that discourage me. Also I will need to commute to work as a nurse I was thinking about kennestone hospital which suburb would be a better commute Marietta or Lithonia and which would have better schools for my middle school age child? I am open to positive and neg feedback, thanks

Old 11-28-2006, 01:08 PM

Default I supose I should specify Marietta, Lithoina, Mabelton

Where is a good place to move to?
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHI/MN View Post
Are there still close knit communities, southern hospitality, good neighborhoods. Can I find any of this in Marietta or Lithonia. How bad are roaches? How bad will it possibly be for my husband to find a job I wll be an RN and he has worked for Boston Scientific fo 8 years in research with the animals but doesn't have a degree. We are big believers in God providing us with what we'll need. I know its supposedly scares in regard to jobs but I don't want to let that discourage me. Also I will need to commute to work as a nurse I was thinking about kennestone hospital which suburb would be a better commute Marietta or Lithonia and which would have better schools for my middle school age child? I am open to positive and neg feedback, thanks

Old 11-28-2006, 01:19 PM

2,819 posts, read 10,399,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHI/MN View Post
Where is a good place to move to?
I personally like where I am in N Gwinnett as opposed to Lith or Marietta.
If your an RN, Walton is under a large expansion. N. Georgia in Gainesville, and Gwinnett Medical is growing all the time, plus listed as one of the top hospitals nationwide.

In regard to schools: Dacula and Mill Creek are good systems.

My 2 cents:
Cobb is a nice county too. Others who live there will need to pop in.

Old 11-28-2006, 01:41 PM

Thanks for your input I'll look into those places as well, I am open, I've only been once and am still researching obviously.

Old 11-28-2006, 02:36 PM

Default Cobb County People Where Are You?

looking for some insight on relocating fron MN to cobb county. My 2 oldest want to go to clark u and i have a middle school age. my husband loves to fish. i will be a nurse at that time. where should i go for a great community with good neighbors?

Old 11-29-2006, 09:27 AM

1 posts, read 2,346 times
Default Moving to Cobb County

I am also looking to move to Georgia. I have narrowed my search down to Cobb County. I am a single mom with a gifted 6yr old, so it very important I find a very good school. Smyrna or Marietta look like great places to live. I have been told by friends in Georgia to stay away from Lithonia, because of the high crime and bad schools. Snellville and Lawrenceville are good choices also.

Old 11-29-2006, 09:58 AM

426 posts, read 2,321,742 times
I would suggest that you stay away from Lithonia. I understand that its majority Black population would make you feel as if you are never out of place but the crime is high in the area and the schools are not up to par in comparrison to other Metro schools. There are nice places to live in Lithonia but you will notice that these are small exclusive subdivisions and that there aren't that many of them.

Marietta is HUGE. There is East Cobb, West Cobb, and Marietta proper to choose from and they all have a Marietta address. These different areas differ drastically. New homes under $500,000 do not exist in East Cobb anymore. The schools in the area though are some of the top schools in the state. I belive Walton High School in East Cobb is number two right now. East Cobb isn't very diverse though. It's almost all white. West Cobb is becoming more expensive to live in with the majority of homes being built costing in the 400s and up. But the older homes are nice and can be purchased in the 200s range. I don't know your price range so I am just throwing in a range of values for you. West Cobb is more diverse than the eastside but its still majority white. Harrison and Kennesaw Mountain are excellent West Cobb High Schools. Stay away from moving inside the city limits of Marietta. Much of it, especially on the westside of the city is a horrible ghetto. The City of Marietta Schools aren't as good as the county schools as well.

Smyrna, just south of Marietta might be a fitting choice. You can find an older home for between 200 and 300,000 dollars and new homes start in the 400s+. Campbell High School is a pretty good school and has the diversity you are looking for. Its half white, half black, and has many Asian and Hispanic students as well. Smyrna is a very nice place to live, especially with the Market Village and the Vinings Village being close by.

And one last thing before I end my LONG post ...If you are looking for a majority Black middle class community to live in then you might want to consider Cascade or Sandtown, southwest of the city. It has homes being built from the 200s to over one million dollars and its like 97% Black. The most superior subdivision in my opinion is Walden Park. It takes a while to drive there but once you have arrived you feel like you have truly arrived home. They have a basketball court, a swimming pool, a community park, tennis courts, a sand volleyball court, an ampitheatre, and jogging trails. Homes are still being built in this 800 home community and they range from the 200s to the 700s.

Sandtown Middle School and Westlake High School are decent public schools in this area but if you opted to live in this area you might want to send you kids to private school to have them recieve a better education. They would be able to get their sense of community down there, the education might go lacking though if you put them in public school. The private school of choice for the area is Woodward Academy in College Park. It's one of the top private schools in the Metro Area and also has more Black students than any other private school in the metro area. It is however still majority white.

Old 11-29-2006, 11:54 AM

985 posts, read 5,756,737 times
I would try to go ga doe web site for searching for school info. Cobb county has some of best schools and some of worst schools. Same for Gwinnett county and Dekalb county. The only place where most schools are excellent is North Fulton (Alpharatta, John Creek's, Roswell).

The best schools district in my view are 1) Pope, Walton and Lassister in Cobb, 2) Milton, NorthView and Chattohochee in North Fulton, 3) Druid Hill, Lakeside and Chamblee in Dekalb 4) Brookwood, Duluth and Parkview in Gwinnett.

If you look for Woodward Academy, it has another campus border between John Creek's and Duluth.

Old 11-30-2006, 07:13 AM

Default thanks

all this is very good feedback. however it is sounding more like smyrna might be a possiblity. i would still like some diversity. it seems things det a little closed mind and ghetto around too many blacks in regard to ghetto but closed mind eriod around too many of one kind at all. i would like too find a friendly community with some diversity. although i don't want to be a minority either. i have also heard from a church member here of a great church in smyrna. and schools are top of the list for me i dont want to have to pay for private school. thank you all for keying in if anyone else can assist as well all is appreciated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia