U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which ballot measures do you SUPPORT?
Amendment 1: State intervention in failing public schools 5 41.67%
Amendment 2: Safe Harbor for Sexually Exploited Children Fund 6 50.00%
Amendment 3: Replacing the Judicial Qualifications Commission 2 16.67%
Amendment 4: Public safety funding via sales tax on fireworks 4 33.33%
Against all four 5 41.67%
Not sure yet 0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 12. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2016, 10:26 PM

5,621 posts, read 4,582,996 times

Advertisements

We have four ballot measures in this coming election. You can get the details of them here, including arguments for and against each one.

Which ones do you support or oppose?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2016, 02:51 PM

5,621 posts, read 4,582,996 times
For those still considering their options for November, here's a closer look at Amendment 3:

Disgraced former Ga. judge behind push to abolish judicial watchdog group | 11alive.com

Seem like it's just a tit-for-tat by a judge who got caught with his disgraceful behavior.

Old 10-04-2016, 03:46 PM

1,186 posts, read 1,649,118 times
I am wary of constitutional ammendments. Mostly they are ways around current laws to appease special interests. I rarely vote for them and this time will be no different.

That being said, they usually pass because they are given very favorable wording and far too many people fail to educate themselves on what the measures truly mean. Oh well, we get the government we vote for. If folks would turn off Big Brother for one night and do a little research, we would be much better off. Wishful thinking.

Old 10-04-2016, 04:25 PM

7,733 posts, read 3,539,895 times
I am against the judicial proposal. Not only is the source suspect as already pointed out, but the substance isn't good either imo.

As it relates to the Judicial Qualifications commission, it proposes to replace this text:
Quote:
It shall consist of seven members, as follows: (1) Two judges of any court of record, selected by the Supreme Court; (2) Three members of the State Bar of Georgia who shall have been active status members of the state bar for at least ten years and who shall be elected by the board of governors of the state bar; and (3) Two citizens, neither of whom shall be a member of the state bar, who shall be appointed by the Governor.
with this:
Quote:
Appointments to the Judicial Qualifications Commission shall be subject to confirmation by the Senate as provided for by general law.
Now the former language seems much more balanced to me. This amendment will give the Legislature MUCH greater control over the judicial selection process, which probably means it will become more political.

Old 10-04-2016, 08:00 PM

6,599 posts, read 8,012,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by midgeorgiaman View Post
I am wary of constitutional ammendments. Mostly they are ways around current laws to appease special interests. I rarely vote for them and this time will be no different.

That being said, they usually pass because they are given very favorable wording and far too many people fail to educate themselves on what the measures truly mean. Oh well, we get the government we vote for. If folks would turn off Big Brother for one night and do a little research, we would be much better off. Wishful thinking.
I actually agree with you.

The wording of these things is often very tricky.

I don't always go by this creed, though. Sometimes I feel it is a subject that is worth voting for and sometimes they do want to gauge public support. Admittedly, I start off critical and look to be won over.

Generally speaking....

#1: Honestly, I don't trust the state. I'm nervous the process will be too politicized as to which schools to take over and how. I also find many of the charter schools, particularly state charters, that were created under past laws have struggled the most and have been unstable over time. More of a concern is that most of the time schools fail are because they are in a poorer area where getting kids college ready is a more uphill battle. Even the best of parents that aren't as well educated can not help their children at home as much. It takes time with each generation to lift people up. What I am unsure of, however, is if we should be measuring schools ability to improve or get worse, while trying to control for variables that might change the demographics of who lives in their district.... even then, I'm skeptical the state always knows what to do to improve things.

I think better education reform for the state would be to analyze rural schools better. I think many counties are too small to operate efficiently. I think it would be worth merging some counties into larger school districts, but that can be a very politicized thing given the social and economic differences that exist between counties in rural Georgia. Some of rural Georgia's strongest school districts are large enough to operate more efficiently similar to some of suburban Atlanta's smaller school districts. I don't want to rush into this, but I think this is what we need to analyze next. Many often don't realize how sparsely populated some of our rural counties are, compared to others.

#2: I do feel bad ... I don't really know anything about amendment #2 and I will need to look into that.

#3: This one scares me more than most overs. It really does seem like a situation of retribution from them doing a very important job. That is a big concern and I'm not going to help them.

#4: This might be worth looking at once we have more data on how much fireworks sales in Georgia increase costs for public safety, by how much, and how exactly the money is spent. It could be worthwhile, I haven't see better data on this.

Old 10-05-2016, 11:09 PM

7,733 posts, read 3,539,895 times
I will likely oppose amendment #2 as well. If it were JUST about people convicted of sexual offenses that might be one thing, but it also levies a new tax on "adult" businesses for no justifiable reason. I presume the link was made that adult businesses somehow influence or have an effect on sexual crimes but I don't really buy that. There is no reason these legal businesses should have to face a new tax to pay for the damage caused by people who committed sexual crimes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or