Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-23-2008, 10:46 PM

5 posts, read 23,550 times

Advertisements

Hi. I'm hoping I can get some help. We are moving to Ga mid july and can move anywhere I want as my hubby is self employed. I'm originally from Long Island New York and have been in Florida about 5 years. What I hate about where we live now is the language problem. I don't mind diversity but I feel that in the US you should speak English. We have two young girls one will be starting kindergarten and one is a special needs child who needs to be close to good children hospitals as well as rehab facilities. I'm looking for good schools,good hospitals, and plenty of childrens activities. I have been told to look in Alpharetta or Roswell. I've been told there is plenty of shopping, dining, ect. Should I also be looking in Gwinnett co? I've heard the schools are good there too. Can anyone recommend some top notch cities, schools, sub divisions?

Last edited by taranow; 02-23-2008 at 10:47 PM.. Reason: spelling eror
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2008, 06:49 AM

894 posts, read 4,337,248 times
We made the move last January from Cooper City, so I understand the language thing.

In terms of your decision where to move, you need to let us know how much you want to spend on housing and if you will be buying/renting. Even though your husband is self-employed, will he be commuting to the city? Need the airport? How often will you need the rehab facilities?

I can't help with the schools as we are empty nesters now, but check out the sticky on GA schools.

If you do move, just be prepared for the world's craziest drivers with huge amounts of traffic. Think either 595 or I-95 with standstill traffic coupled with accidents almost everyday.

Good luck!

Old 02-24-2008, 07:53 PM

5 posts, read 23,550 times
My husband will be bringing martins potato bread to georgia. All of georgia, so it really does not matter where we live. Our price range would be 500's to high 600's. I was thinking we should rent for 6 months just to get a feel for the area but I do want to be in a great school district as my 5 year old will start school in August. When we came to Florida we did not research the schools and as you know Cooper city has good schools, if we had known that we would have bought there. I just don't wan to make the same mistake twice.As far as my 20th old she goes to therapy @ Joe Dimaggios 5 days a weeks plus we get services at home 2 times a week. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Old 02-24-2008, 09:25 PM

14 posts, read 58,041 times
Taranow,
Mmmm, Martins Potato Bread sounds great. I'd say you guys will be a welcome addition to the Atlanta area no matter where you end up. There are great schools all around the area. From my perspective you will find great schools in Cobb, with Chalker Elem in Kennesaw having one of the most caring staff's around. I also understand Cherokee schools are doing great in the rankings these days. Even with great districts there are still "the schools" everyone raves about and those that don't seem as desirable. It's still best to do your own research. Here is a good starting point Georgia Department of Education . On a side note we brought our special needs son up through cobb schools. I know each situation is different for each child. As long as you can pick a great elem school to start with, I feel your idea of renting until you have time to decide the best place and schools for your family is probably the best plan. I hope this will help some.

Looking forward the the Martin's.

Old 02-25-2008, 03:50 PM

247 posts, read 1,285,855 times
Here are 2 excellent sites to research schools: Georgia Public Policy Foundation - www.gppf.org (http://www.gppf.org/default.asp?pt=doc&doc=reportcard - broken link) and GreatSchools.net We're originally from Broward County (Coral Springs) so I also understand about the language thing. We now live in Canton and LOVE IT!!! I wouldn't move back for the world :-)

Old 03-01-2008, 05:57 PM

16 posts, read 77,759 times
I lived in Pembroke Pines and my oldest son went to Joe Dimaggios & Dan Marinos in Weston.... I moved for the schools.The language thing was not a problem for us but the crazy insurance rates were! We chose North East GA- We live in Jefferson GA and the schools are top rated. I am very impressed with how my son has advanced here. My son is legally blind and is seen at Emory in Atlanta, which is about an hour south of us. We only go 1 time per month so it is not bad at all. The peace of mind and the tranquility is something Florida never had, atleast not for the 38 years that I lived there... As for hospitals we have St. Marys and Athens Hospitals near by, since moving here I've only needed to go 2 times and I chose St. Marys which was excellent. As for housing we bought a 2 story 5 bed 3 bath on 1 acre for 167K, insurance is only 321 per year ) The taxes here are a little high when compared to other areas in GA...we paid $2200, but without homestead (1st year) Hope this info helps, Can't wait to have Martins!!! Best of luck with your move!!!

Old 03-04-2008, 07:56 AM

11 posts, read 48,574 times
Default Gwinnett & Athens

I have lived in both areas. I can answer any questions about either if you want to email me.

If you need to be near the children's hospitals and are interested in Gwinnett Co then the best school cluster is the Brookwood cluster. There are houses in the range you talked about. I can recommend a dentist and all kinds of things in this area. The schools have lots of spec ed resources.

I live near Athens now. I hear great things about both Athens Regional and St. Mary's Hosp. I have to say.....we love it here. Our school district is top in the state. I think you will have more possibilies here for houses in the range that you mentioned. In the Public schools, most spec ed students are mainstream. There are lots of great private schools also. The university also may provide some things. Not nearly as crowded here as in gwinnett, but a much greater sense of community.

Contact me if you like. Good Luck.
A

Old 11-24-2008, 05:32 PM

1 posts, read 2,988 times
Default martins bread

Quote:
Originally Posted by taranow View Post
My husband will be bringing martins potato bread to georgia. All of georgia, so it really does not matter where we live. Our price range would be 500's to high 600's. I was thinking we should rent for 6 months just to get a feel for the area but I do want to be in a great school district as my 5 year old will start school in August. When we came to Florida we did not research the schools and as you know Cooper city has good schools, if we had known that we would have bought there. I just don't wan to make the same mistake twice.As far as my 20th old she goes to therapy @ Joe Dimaggios 5 days a weeks plus we get services at home 2 times a week. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Welcome to atlanta. do you know when your husband will be bringing martins to Atlanta. If so maybe your husband can help me with getting a route. have a great day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia