Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-18-2016, 07:17 AM

38 posts, read 43,998 times

Advertisements

Hello, Ive been researching for over a year to prepare to move from NJ to GA with my two elementary aged children. I dont think anything else has ever been so stressful in my life. Trying to line up a place, a job and everything in between.. My next thing to tackle is a moving company.. Ive been trying to get quotes and research companies and they all seem pretty expensive. However, Ive never moved more than a town away so in reality, it may not be expensive at all. The latest quote I received was $5000, that included loading my stuff moving it and unpacking it once there. They would also help to put things back together for me... Does this sound reasonable to anyone thats moved state to state? Or is it cheaper for me to find someone I know and just rent u-haul?...Im a young single mom so I want to do this move as clean and affordable as possible. Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2016, 07:58 AM

9,317 posts, read 21,004,968 times
I just moved from ATL to NH. My move was ~$7300

3br, Office, Living Room, Family Room, Dinning room, "Kitchen Stuff" (Not the table or appliances), Washer/Dryer Misc Stuff in the Garage.

I did Most of the box Packing my self (Boxes/Tape $40) Got Lots of Free Boxes from neighbor who had just moved in. Also did as much purging as i could in the time allowed.

Had the movers Pack the Kitchen, and Dinning room Breakable stuff One Flatscreen TV, 2 or 3 Mirrors. They charge by the box to pack it,

Move was in Mid June. So starting to get into Prime Moving Season.

Honestly I would have them (A mover) do the load/unload they pack Tight, Quick, Efficiently. Once you get to your new home having to find someone (CL or a UHaul Unload Service) you are dealing with day labor. A reputable moving company has its own Packer/Unpacker "On Staff". In most cases the Driver is a Independent contractor to the National Brand. Often s/he has a co/driver they do pack/unpacks with. They might have the local agent for the national brand send over a body to help, If its a big job, In most cases the pack/load should not take more the 4hrs, Unload is faster.

Good Lunch with your move.

Old 10-19-2016, 03:23 PM

816 posts, read 994,817 times
Although not a full service moving company, we used a freight company called Upack to haul all of our stuff when we moved from Boston to Atlanta. They basically drop off a 28 foot trailer in your driveway, give you 3 business days to fill it (if you have it dropped off on a Friday, you get saturday and sunday and they don't count towards the 3 days). You then call them, and they come and pick it up. They'll drive it to your new home in Atlanta, and give you 3 business days to unload.

The reason we went with this, is because we didn't own a home yet after moving down here (we were staying with family). This company has storage facilities in all 50 states where they keep your trailer until you're ready to have it delivered.

Cost us roughly $2800, and we used the whole trailer. (that price included a month of storage of the trailer as well).

Old 10-30-2016, 06:43 AM

2 posts, read 1,902 times
Default Long distance move with a kid

I am also a young single mom who had a terrible experience moving from GA to VA with a young child. The company I hired packed everything and then charged me more after they put my stuff on the truck. They also took forever to get my things to me. My son and I slept on the floor in my new place for weeks because I learned that they had 30 days to get me my stuff. I just moved back to GA and was worried again but I used a small company out of Atlanta, M-Town Movers, to do my move. I was worried again but my stuff was packed up and delivered the next day. Maybe that could be an option for you. Good luck! I know moving is tough.

Old 11-04-2016, 09:12 AM

38 posts, read 43,998 times
That sounds good thank you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia