U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-04-2016, 11:13 AM

76 posts, read 83,520 times

Advertisements

Of the three areas which one do you like best and why? What kind of birds frequent the areas mentioned? Do you have an outside garden and what kind of vegetables/fruits grow best in the area? Can you bear/deer proof your garden? Have you had any unfriendly encounters with wildlife? Are there any wildlife that may do damage to property-if so what is the best way to keep it from happening? Are log cabins in the area high maintenance? How often to stain and the cost of staining the outside of cabin?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2016, 09:46 AM

744 posts, read 2,183,237 times
Okay here it goes :
1) Of the three areas, which do I like best and why?I like them all. Each one of them offers something different .Blue Ridge has the lake and the gorgeous downtown area.Blairsville has really nice people, one of the best coffee shops around, and nearby Meeks park is awesome.Hiawassee , being surrounded by Lake Chatuge, is just beautiful.It has some great restaurants to try too.So I am sorry I can't be of more help in this decision making, as I love all three of them .I am thankful to live in area of Union county ( Blairsville area ) where I can easily acess all three of them ( Suches )

2)What kind of birds frequent the area ? blue birds, hummingbirds,brown thrashers,woodpeckers, hawks,owls,bald eagles (Blue Ridge predominantly with frequent sightings in Suches ( Union County) -way cool to see by the way) and Suches is the home of some rare finches , so bird watchers frequent the area often.

3)Do I have an outside garden. Yes. What kind of vegetables / fruits grow in the area ?Vegetables- Okra, zucchini,squash, potatoes,corn,every kind of green bean imaginable,beets,several types of pumpkin,tomatoes,gourdes. Fruits -apples, blue berries,grapes, muscadines,raspberries.

4)Can you bear/deer proof your garden- yes/ and sort of .Bear proofing is a bit easier , many of my neighbors use solar fencing to keep them out.Deer, the only thing I have seen really work are super high fences .I honestly don't have a problem with them where I am because they seem to hit my neighbors in the back of me first( they are closer to the woods).

5) Unfriendly encounters with wildlife? Yes, copperheads occasionally.

6)Are there any wildlife that do damage to property? Yes,wild hogs!!! What is the best way to keep it from happening ? Make sure that if you have oak trees that drops a lot of acorns, rake them up as soon as possible.Make sure that all of your fencing at the bottom of the fence is to the ground.Last but not least , is either hunt them yourself or hire hunters to do it. The damage they can do to property is unreal.

7) The questions about log homes /cabins I cannot address but hopefully someone else on here can.

Old 11-07-2016, 02:19 PM

3,771 posts, read 3,435,752 times
Go falcons is correct.....Blairsville is one of the friendliest places anywhere!

5. We also have bear here don't forget. We had one in our neighborhood a couple of years ago....

7. To answer the wood home question.....YES! Wood homes are very high maintenance. It's ongoing and never ending. The question should be.....do you want to buy it and forget it? If so.....no wood. We decided not to go with true log because of the maintenance, but instead went with frame built but cedar siding. It's an on-going battle with the elements..... we've fought mold and critters. The squirrels love to put holes in the soffits and get into the attic at times. Woodpeckers, Boring Bees.... And staining has a few different criteria. Good quality stain lasts longer. Brushing in on vs. spraying makes a difference too. Our siding which was hand brushed on (two coats) last time with a quality stain lasted about 7 years. We were thrilled with that. Our decks....I do by hand at least every other year.

Old 11-21-2016, 07:51 PM

73 posts, read 84,196 times
We picked Hiawassee....found our dream home...the area is beautiful...there's a nice Ingles with a pharmacy and gas station....great hardware store....and anything else....Amazon delivers! Been here about a month and just love it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or