U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-11-2016, 09:27 AM

76 posts, read 83,470 times

Advertisements

Are there senior services such as transportation, help with cleaning your home, meals on wheels, in N. GA mountains area? I see a lot of homes for sale in the area that looked like maybe elderly lived there and just wondered if the area accommodates elderly or if perhaps closer to Atlanta for services as you age maybe better? Planning for future so your input is helpful. Thanks so much
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2016, 10:32 AM

9,186 posts, read 17,868,938 times
No...

There are a few Self-Contained communities, but "Senior Service" There are few, if any, and would mostly be limited to a Senior Center (That may do lunch), that you have to get yourself to them.

Transportation - No (For anyone), Its your car that it.
Meals on Wheels - No, If you have been a active member of a church for 20+ years, the church may have some sort of program to help there long term members on a informal basis.
There are Home Cleaner/Cleaning services, But you obviously you would need to pay for it.

For the services you are looking for you would need to be one of the Atlanta Metro's (Fulton, DeKalb) {maybe Cobb, Gwinnett }

Old 11-11-2016, 12:48 PM

13,395 posts, read 21,611,907 times
There ARE senior services. Google the county you are interested in along with "senior services". That will give you the official list. Then, you start digging. My mother lives in Western NC. According to the official websites online, services are few and far between. I found her free transportation to all her doctors' appointments. I found her a very inexpensive companion service that checks in on her, and will prepare her meals if she desires. Officially they don't have Meals on Wheels, but they do, in fact my parents used to drive a route.

Local Council on Aging sites are very helpful.

Old 11-11-2016, 03:13 PM

76 posts, read 83,470 times
Thanks so much for your responses

Old 11-11-2016, 07:46 PM

3,771 posts, read 3,434,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyonpa View Post
No...

There are a few Self-Contained communities, but "Senior Service" There are few, if any, and would mostly be limited to a Senior Center (That may do lunch), that you have to get yourself to them.

Transportation - No (For anyone), Its your car that it.
Meals on Wheels - No, If you have been a active member of a church for 20+ years, the church may have some sort of program to help there long term members on a informal basis.
There are Home Cleaner/Cleaning services, But you obviously you would need to pay for it.

For the services you are looking for you would need to be one of the Atlanta Metro's (Fulton, DeKalb) {maybe Cobb, Gwinnett }
Hate to burst your bubble... but wrong. I know for a fact that Union county has vibrant senior services. Transportation system for seniors, Meal on Wheels, Respite care.. and several communities based singularly on the needs of the elderly. There are several residential units that have independent and assisted living based in Union and Towns Counties. Brasstown Manor in Hiawassee springs to mind. They have just built several new apartment complexes in Young Harris for seniors. Heck...seniors can even purchase homes in areas designed to be maintenance free, yet still giving them the joy of home ownership. Honestly.... I have elderly parents in Florida and my husbands elderly mother was in Kentucky and we were looking to bring her down here with us. We found that senior services here were much more reasonably priced than in Florida.

Please check it out before you give up on the idea that N. GA. has no senior services....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia