Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-22-2016, 12:07 PM

50 posts, read 40,373 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I'm looking at visiting a state next year for a couple of weeks holiday and am thinking of Georgia, however I don't know an awful lot about it.

I went to Texas for 3 weeks this year and absolutely loved it. Is Georgia in any way similar?

Tourist attractions aren't really my thing, it's more about visiting new places and meeting new people, Texans were incredibly friendly, do people in Georgia have the same 'southern hospitality' thing going on?

Finally, I'm 28 so enjoy going to bars, live music, American football etc - are the cities in Georgia good for this? I know you have the Falcons in the NFL, not sure which college football teams you have?

Thanks in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2016, 12:42 PM

5,621 posts, read 5,937,091 times
Texas is very diverse in terms of landscape or general "feel". If you went to west Texas or anyplace that had a drier/more western feel to it, Georgia will be very different. If you stuck to the eastern areas you'll have a fairly similar experience. The "Is Texas southern" thing has been beaten to death on C-D so I won't get too much into it but for the most part the people are similar and I think you'll find the people to be just as friendly. In terms of landscape, the N Georgia mountains are beautiful and depending on when you arrive, you may get to see some nice fall foliage. In fact, I would recommend visiting during the fall as the weather is as good as it gets all year. It's our drier time of year (we don't technically have a true dry season) and temps are usually perfect during the days.

As for cities, there's of course Atlanta which is the same scale as Dallas and Houston but there are some other good areas with plenty of nightlife and music. Off the top of my head I would have to say Savannah is worth visiting. Beautiful downtown area and vibrant bar scene. Athens is near Atlanta and is a quintessential college town. The University of Georgia is based there and catching a football game there would certainly be worth it (I personally prefer college football to pro). There's also plenty of music. Read about music venues in Athens like the 40 Watt Club. Athens has a strong indie/alt rock scene that gave rise to bands like R.E.M..

If you want college football while in Atlanta, Georgia Tech is Georgia's other prominent college football team. Georgia State is also in Atlanta but is fairly new. Georgia Southern is close to Savannah but just joined the top ranks in the past few years. I'm sure it's a good environment however.

Old 11-24-2016, 08:12 PM

2,568 posts, read 2,520,072 times
Check out the tripadvisor forums re Georgia for a lot of good traveler info.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia