Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2016, 03:08 PM

446 posts, read 390,797 times

Advertisements

Unlike New Mexico, Georgia is hilly-to-mountainous from middle Georgia up, so you can't see for miles the way I've heard you can in NM (from a friend who moved to GA from NM). In order to see a veiw of Georgia's mountains, you have to be in the mountains. Athens is one of the few "liberal"-type towns outside Atlanta that is anywhere near mountains (and mountain lakes). It is also fairly close to Lake Lanier.

Atlanta is not in the mountains but does have the highest elevation of any major cities east of the Mississippi.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2016, 07:32 AM

3,999 posts, read 4,118,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
Not really. North Georgia is still God's Country. Gays are in North Georgia, but they don't "fly the flag", if you know what I mean. Last time I was in a store there, two of the clerks were arguing about their interpretations of the Scripture...
As always LovinDecatur is spot on. I have met several of the gay and Lesbian community (and I use that term community loosely because they don't have their own community they are part of OUR community) and sexual preference isn't their defining characteristics. They are involved in community outreach for seniors and many of the other wonderful opportunities here. And if truth be told they probably lie more a little to the right-of-center in regards to fiscal and political ideals. Take a look at the election percentage results for all you need to know. Our county went 81% Republican.

The other biggest issue I see in regards to N. Ga for the OP is his/her request for a studio apt. for 600.00 a month. Not going to happen in a tourist area like the N. GA. mountains where rentals run 600.00 just for a weekend. Not to mention finding a studio?? You can buy cheaper than rent up here.

Old 11-28-2016, 07:27 PM

97 posts, read 170,849 times
Athens GA seems beautiful and a good possible match except that from what I read it is extremely expensive???? I think it will be very hard for me to find something in my rental price.

I guess I'll have to keep looking.

Old 11-29-2016, 09:23 AM

10,732 posts, read 13,267,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
Not really. North Georgia is still God's Country. Gays are in North Georgia, but they don't "fly the flag", if you know what I mean. Last time I was in a store there, two of the clerks were arguing about their interpretations of the Scripture...
LovinDecatur, as usual, is correct. To add a bit more color, Fannin County, in which Blue Ridge is located, is decidedly conservative when it comes time to vote. Many of the locals are decidedly conservative in their daily lives. However, in town you will meet numerous shop owners who have relocated from more liberal areas such as Florida cities, Atlanta and other places. You will meet gay shop owners, gay tourists and gay residents as well. They all, well at least to me, seem comfortable within their environs. And, yes, you'll see a confederate flag or two on pickup trucks -- but these are usually the high schoolers who are proud of their "Rebel" football team and not folks who are attempting to promote the Old South and whiteness.

All in all, I have found Blue Ridge a great place to spend time - we have a second home there and I'm a tree hugging liberal. Over the course of my nine or so years living part time in Blue Ridge, I have generally felt it is a reasonably accepting and inclusive place. That being said, I have seen lots of Trump bumper stickers up there over the course of the election season.

Old 11-29-2016, 09:52 AM

97 posts, read 170,849 times
thank you appreciate it...its a non issue now because it is too expensive as the average rent in Athens is around 1k from what i have read.

Old 11-29-2016, 02:34 PM

2,099 posts, read 2,258,897 times
Asheville. Nowhere else like it in the southeast! Visit you will see.

Old 11-29-2016, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnsleyPark View Post
LovinDecatur, as usual, is correct. To add a bit more color, Fannin County, in which Blue Ridge is located, is decidedly conservative when it comes time to vote. Many of the locals are decidedly conservative in their daily lives. However, in town you will meet numerous shop owners who have relocated from more liberal areas such as Florida cities, Atlanta and other places. You will meet gay shop owners, gay tourists and gay residents as well. They all, well at least to me, seem comfortable within their environs. And, yes, you'll see a confederate flag or two on pickup trucks -- but these are usually the high schoolers who are proud of their "Rebel" football team and not folks who are attempting to promote the Old South and whiteness.

All in all, I have found Blue Ridge a great place to spend time - we have a second home there and I'm a tree hugging liberal. Over the course of my nine or so years living part time in Blue Ridge, I have generally felt it is a reasonably accepting and inclusive place. That being said, I have seen lots of Trump bumper stickers up there over the course of the election season.
Just my opinion Ansley... but I think most of N. GA (Fannin, Union, Gilmer, Towns, Habersham, White, Cherokee) are all so very right leaning on financial concerns, and Pro-USA, but more centrist when it comes to social issues. That's what we vote more Republican. People up here tend to be hard-working with deep family values, and yes religion is very important. Remember it was just a couple of years ago that Union finally passed alcohol sales... and it was a very narrow margin then....... My guess is that is the Libertarian Party ever got their act together, that N. Ga. could go that way, because up here it's just let us live our lives the way we want, we'll treat you well, as long as ya stay out of our business as well.

Old 11-30-2016, 06:41 AM

10,732 posts, read 13,267,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aus10 View Post
Just my opinion Ansley... but I think most of N. GA (Fannin, Union, Gilmer, Towns, Habersham, White, Cherokee) are all so very right leaning on financial concerns, and Pro-USA, but more centrist when it comes to social issues. That's what we vote more Republican. People up here tend to be hard-working with deep family values, and yes religion is very important. Remember it was just a couple of years ago that Union finally passed alcohol sales... and it was a very narrow margin then....... My guess is that is the Libertarian Party ever got their act together, that N. Ga. could go that way, because up here it's just let us live our lives the way we want, we'll treat you well, as long as ya stay out of our business as well.
aus10, you are very right with your observations. Good folk in north Georgia, I say.

Old 11-30-2016, 09:12 AM

253 posts, read 302,462 times
As a gay person, I can say that N. Georgia is absolutely not ideal. Comments here about it being 'accepting' are probably only true for the commentators. As a whole, this is not true. Also, keep in mind that people who voted in a neo-nazi supporter aren't going to be just 'fiscally conservative'. They are also extremely intolerant on issues concerning LGBT folks, race, gender, and just about any other social issue you can think of, including a deep-seated hatred towards the poor and vulnerable.

On the plus side, N. Ga is beautiful so if you can get past the nasty people up there, it's a rather lovely place.

Old 11-30-2016, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyeBright View Post
As a gay person, I can say that N. Georgia is absolutely not ideal. Comments here about it being 'accepting' are probably only true for the commentators. As a whole, this is not true. Also, keep in mind that people who voted in a neo-nazi supporter aren't going to be just 'fiscally conservative'. They are also extremely intolerant on issues concerning LGBT folks, race, gender, and just about any other social issue you can think of, including a deep-seated hatred towards the poor and vulnerable.

On the plus side, N. Ga is beautiful so if you can get past the nasty people up there, it's a rather lovely place.
When a person comes into the area with pre-conceived notions of how things are, you only see (or in this case report) what YOU believe it to be. So come in with a chip on your shoulder, yes, you most likely will be treated the same in return....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia