Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2013, 04:26 PM

8 posts, read 32,946 times

Advertisements

Hello all, I am pursuing a job in Thomaston, GA and would like any input you can offer me on: 1) general thoughts on the town/nearby towns, 2) areas I should be looking into for housing (single male, will be living alone - would prefer to rent a small house or townhome if necessary in a safe and quiet neighborhood) 3) fun things to do in the area (rec sports leagues, sporting events, restaurants, etc.).

I am COMPLETELY unfamiliar with GA so any input would be greatly appreciated. My #1 priority is to find a house to rent so ANY input on that end would be wonderful. It has to be in a nice neighborhood so I would be willing to spend a little more for that if need be. Again, being unfamiliar with the area I am not sure what average rental costs range and where I should be looking. I would hope to spend no more than $750-800/month on rent (before utilities).

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2013, 05:20 PM

5,616 posts, read 8,643,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulfie5 View Post
Hello all, I am pursuing a job in Thomaston, GA and would like any input you can offer me on: 1) general thoughts on the town/nearby towns, 2) areas I should be looking into for housing (single male, will be living alone - would prefer to rent a small house or townhome if necessary in a safe and quiet neighborhood) 3) fun things to do in the area (rec sports leagues, sporting events, restaurants, etc.).

I am COMPLETELY unfamiliar with GA so any input would be greatly appreciated. My #1 priority is to find a house to rent so ANY input on that end would be wonderful. It has to be in a nice neighborhood so I would be willing to spend a little more for that if need be. Again, being unfamiliar with the area I am not sure what average rental costs range and where I should be looking. I would hope to spend no more than $750-800/month on rent (before utilities).

Thank you!
Where are you moving from? Thomaston is a fairly small town. Close to bigger cities like Atlanta and Columbus. There are a lot of outdoor activities. The Flint River is nice. You are also close to Pine Mountain and Callaway Gardens, both of which offer great outdoor activities. If you are looking for shopping and restaurants, your best bet is to drive down to Columbus. Macon is close but doesn't offer as much. Don't know much about the housing situation there.

Old 09-17-2013, 09:40 PM

I would be relocating from PA. Based on what I have found so far, it will be a bit of a culture shock but I am ok with that. I have no problem with a quiet, relaxing lifestyle. I love playing sports/activities such as tennis, ice/deck hockey (I think I'll have to give up playing hockey in GA), bike riding. I will see what I can find regarding Pine Mountain and Callaway Gardens.

Thanks for the response.

Old 09-19-2013, 06:34 PM

49 posts, read 82,437 times
Thomaston is about 45 to 50 minutes from Macon, Columbus and certain parts of Fayette, Henry & Clayton Counties in metropolitan Atlanta. Atlanta itself is just a tad further. Your best bet for shopping and restaurants would be the southern suburbs of Atlanta. For the difference in amenities that Atlanta offers in comparison, I'm sure most people don't mind driving the extra 15-20 miles longer to get to Atlanta than it would take to get to Macon or Columbus. Macon and Columbus don't offer much more or less than the other when it comes to restaurants and shopping, so it wouldn't make much of a difference. This is irrelevant anyway, as you are basically just as close to the southern suburbs of Atlanta and Atlanta itself which offer more than both.

Old 09-19-2013, 07:52 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,909,282 times
Thomaston will be a culture shock, no doubt. It's not a *bad* town ... But as far as small towns go in Georgia, it leaves a lot to be desired. Let me put it this way: to people in Thomaston, Griffin is a "big town" .... and the rest of Georgia looks down its nose at Griffin.

Old 09-20-2013, 06:45 AM

4,690 posts, read 10,411,984 times
Lol, and the people in Warm Springs, Manchester, Woodbury, Woodland, etc... think Thomaston is a big town. Heck, Thomaston is twice the size (population) as the town where I was born and raised in Wyoming, it IS a big town. Out west, you were a major metro area if you could attract a Home Depot and we'd drive 6 hours round trip to get to the closest. It's all in the perspective, and no one knows what size community the OP is coming from ~ it may be a major step up for him.

I've been through a lot of Very rural PA via motorcycle, and it felt substantially similar to rural GA, at least IMHO.

Old 09-22-2013, 08:35 PM

Thanks to everyone for the responses. In regards to where I am coming from - a little south of Pittsburgh, so yes I am assuming it to be a major change. There are small towns where I am from but I can still get to major shopping/eating/activities within 20-30 minutes, sounds like that may not be the case in Thomaston.

If this move comes to fruition, my biggest concern is to find a house to rent so that is where I am really seeking guidance. I have searched Craigslist but it seems like I can't get any good results with Thomaston being roughly 60+ mins from each of Columbus, Macon, and Atlanta - all 3 of those CL sites don't give me much close to Thomaston. Zillow wasn't much help either. Any suggestions on websites to look for housing? Any recommendations on nice/quiet/safe areas near Thomaston (within 30 mins) I should be looking? Thank you! Any help/guidance is appreciated!

Old 09-22-2013, 10:28 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,909,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulfie5 View Post
Thanks to everyone for the responses. In regards to where I am coming from - a little south of Pittsburgh, so yes I am assuming it to be a major change. There are small towns where I am from but I can still get to major shopping/eating/activities within 20-30 minutes, sounds like that may not be the case in Thomaston.

If this move comes to fruition, my biggest concern is to find a house to rent so that is where I am really seeking guidance. I have searched Craigslist but it seems like I can't get any good results with Thomaston being roughly 60+ mins from each of Columbus, Macon, and Atlanta - all 3 of those CL sites don't give me much close to Thomaston. Zillow wasn't much help either. Any suggestions on websites to look for housing? Any recommendations on nice/quiet/safe areas near Thomaston (within 30 mins) I should be looking? Thank you! Any help/guidance is appreciated!
If you don't mind being in the country, you may want to look in the Pike County / Zebulon area (about halfway between Thomaston and Griffin). That would put you closer to the shopping and restaurants, etc. that you like in the South Metro ATL area.

I know this means nothing to you, but Pike County is referred to as the "new" Fayette County ... a semi-rural area that's growing very quickly with new upscale estate-type homes, small farms, horse paddocks, etc. It's very scenic and pretty. Don't know how much you can get for your money, but it's worth checking out. I wouldn't go any further closer to Griffin or the commute to work in Thomaston would be a burden.

I think Pike County would be very reminiscent of some of the agricultural areas on the outskirts of Pittsburgh ... without the hills!

Pike County Georgia

Old 09-23-2013, 06:59 AM

4,690 posts, read 10,411,984 times
For housing, a lot of times in rural area you should just call up the local Realtor offices. I've lived in some small towns where all the Realtors pool their knowledge of open rentals and print out a weekly listing. Most aren't nearly that organized so you'll probably be calling Several Realtors, but all of them know of a good number of rentals and some may even be acting as management companies (find renters, collect rent, take care of issues). All of them will have helped landlords buy properties that are rentals.

The second course of action is to call the library and ask them if there's a local resource for finding rentals. There May be a bulletin board somewhere, or perhaps it's the newspaper... no clue on my part, but having worked in a library before I've Drastically altered my perception of what they offer.

Anyway, at least that'll get you some information.

Old 10-08-2013, 07:25 PM

7 posts, read 13,999 times
I lived in Thomaston , went to school there etc, I can only surmise if you are moving there the job situation is not good where you are and you are being offered a fabulous opportunity. Strange, never ever would I have mentioned Thomaston in the same sentence with fabulous opportunity.....wouldn't even go through there but my parents live there. Might be an okay place to retire, but then again. NOT ! I really enjoy rural life, but not Thomaston, should have left years before I did. Hope you enjoy being an hour away from everything. You have Super Walmart, Home Depot and Ingles ( decent ,but high priced grocery store). Lots of homes for sale, many don't sell even after a year or 3.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia