U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2017, 05:57 AM

4,630 posts, read 7,810,187 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by l8rgator View Post
In many states the cost of housing 1 non-death row inmate per year is more than the average median personal income of the U.S. in that same year. Either way seems like such a waste.
This is going off on a WHOLE other tangent....

It makes me sick that the US has the second highest rate of incarcerations in the world:

Bested only by Seychelles, and then only by 13%. That's a LOT of fricking money, how many of those are non-violent drug offenders (weed)? Is it sad that someone caught with weed is punished more harshly than someone who causes harm to another person that will last the rest of the victims life? Even the harder drugs tend to be self destructive with a short foray into theft/larceny ~ but time will be long-since served for the theft aspect by the time the drug aspect is served.

If you Really want to see tax dollars saved, legalizing ALL drugs would go a long, LONG way. Even with the state/gov sponsored treatment it's just cheaper. Portugal has proven this (they decriminalized personal use amounts in 2001 and saw nothing but benefits).

I don't use drugs, don't want to, I've had my college years and don't look back with any fondness on the little drug use I did back then. I just see the metrics, the Massive decline in teen use of marijuana in Colorado since legalization, and wonder why this country Insists on throwing money away hand over fist for something that Could generate its own income (some states only allow state liquor stores, make it the Exact same for drugs) through sales/taxes while Also reducing interest and use though legalization. Nevemind the HUGE numbers of people that no longer go through the legal system, taking up the time of law enforcement, court officials and the for-profit prison systems that are raping the US Taxpayer.

Just chaps my hide, and I'm a conservative from Wyoming! (I think that makes me double-conservative, not sure though..... )
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2017, 01:21 PM

7,725 posts, read 3,532,140 times
Completely agree, all drugs should be legalized.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia