U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-21-2016, 03:00 PM

10 posts, read 20,607 times

Advertisements

Hi. I live in Georgia, NW ATL area. My oldest son and his wife live in Lawrenceville. Middle son and his wife live in Dalton. Considering retiring in 6 years if things go well (i.e. job not lost to outsourcing, downsizing - able to continue putting money in the 401k).

We're about to become grandparents, so want to be pretty near Lawrenceville. My wife is disabled (muscular dystrophy) and uses a walker in the house, a wheelchair out of the house. Our current house has is two stories and has a seat lift to get from the garage into the house and another seat lift to get upstairs. We remodeled the upstairs bathroom to be accessible (a roll in shower, multiple shower heads, a fold-down bench in the shower, slightly higher toilets, a roll-under vanity). However, we do have a sunken living room requiring a step-down. A sunken sun room requiring a step down, and a desk requiring a step down.

For future needs (in 6 years, maybe earlier as I telecommute) we'd like a 3 bedroom, 1 bath single level ranch. Something with zero steps to get from the garage into the house, and no steps in the house. Something were we could easily remodel the master bathroom for accessibility.

For towns, I'd like to be near enough to Lawrenceville so we can do the grandparent thing, but far enough away so we have less traffic. I'd like to be near enough to good medical facilities. And I'd kind of like a town that is wheelchair friendly (I really liked Blue Ridge, but it is not wheelchair friendly at all, so my wife had a rough time).

Anyone on the forum in a wheelchair or have loved ones using a wheelchair so you are familiar with obstacles? Do you have a favorite town in North Georgia? My original plan was to move to the Northwest side to be near the Silver Comet Trail so I could bike daily or my wife could get out in her power chair but see some scenery. I'm not sure that's feasible as I want to be able to watch grandkids so may need to live a little more east.

Any recommendations? Any "normal" subdivisions (i.e. NOT retired adult subdivision) with ranch houses and backing onto a bike trail? Or near by?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2016, 06:36 PM

6,599 posts, read 8,007,260 times
I won't give you specific subdivisions, but Gwinnett Co is a large suburban county of about 900k people. There are many good strong hospitals.

There are ton of ranch style homes in neighborhoods developed in the 70s-80s and I doubt you will have much trouble finding anything.

Also, you don't need a running trail that goes all the way to Alabama. There are plenty others. Suwanee has a really good greenway system, there are some near the Mall of Georgia, Linear parks are being developed along the Chattahoochee, and in the city Lilburn has a greenway.

The only fear I have is where you will need to still commute to for the next 6 years.... there is a great deal of traffic between Gwinnett and NW Georgia.

One thing you might consider looking for is a neighborhood a bit different than you might be use to. Some newer suburban developments are getting slightly better about zoning placement.

This one area in Suwanee: https://www.google.com/maps/place/Su...!4d-84.0712997

Has two large neighborhoods with ranches, townhomes, and larger homes that connect to commercial developments with neighborhood roads.

You can get to restaurants, doctors offices, dentists, physical therapy, CVS pharmacy, etc... without turning on the main road.

This area might not be for you and this would actually be a pricey area, but I think it offers a good idea to look for.

Old 12-21-2016, 08:18 PM

10 posts, read 20,607 times
Thanks - I'll give it a look and take some short jaunts over to Lawrenceville and head north from there. You are right about the commute, though. Right now I telecommute, but may have to start going in to the office two days a week. My choices are Alpharetta and Atlanta. The drive from where I live now to Alpharetta used to only take an hour. Now it is crazy. I also tried Cobb Transit express bus to Atlanta several times for an alternate work location in town. That takes forever, but at least I'm not driving, the office is pretty cool, and it's fun to take a lunch hour walk in Atlanta. Perhaps staying put until retirement might not be the worst idea. Then I could pick a place without worrying about getting to Alpharetta or Atlanta.

You're also right about not needing a trail all the way to Alabama! When my kids were younger we'd head out every Friday afternoon and Saturday morning on our bikes. We did the entire length of the Silver Comet in short 10-12 mile round-trip sections, then did part of the Chief Ladiga in Alabama. It took a lot of short trips, but was fun. I'd kind of like to be able to head out the back door, hop on a bike trail and put in 10 to 20 miles. But there are plenty of places to safely ride now.

Anyway, lots of things to think about and timing it right will be hard. Maybe I should just stay in Marietta, look for a low maintenance accessible ranch and ignore I75/I285 traffic.

Old 12-27-2016, 08:26 AM

3 posts, read 3,651 times
Lets consider another county for your future retirement home. Barrow County was our choice, Statham Georgia in fact. We started our search the spring of 2011 by looking for properties in & around Winder. We soon found our search taking us toward Athens GA. We found the very type of home you are looking for, 3 bedroom-2 bathrooms (Split Floor plan) (Master on left & 2 bedrooms on right side), ranch type home, no steps, with a 2 car attached garage sitting on just over 1/2 acre lot with a small wooded section behind the home . Statham is a small town that sits between Winder & Athens. Athens, Clark/Athens County, is home to University of Georgia, UGA & Georgia Bulldogs. Winder is Barrow County government seat.

Statham Population in 2014: 2,590 (88% urban, 12% rural). Population change since 2000: +27.0%[LEFT]
Read more: //www.city-data.com/city/Statha...#ixzz4U387o1iG

Very Happy with our choice of the home as well as the community. We live close enough to each near by city for convenient shopping, restaurants & entertainment needs. BUT... we are far enough away from Atlanta & its never ending traffic congestion. Being close to UGA, we can take advantage of all the University has to offer, from their beautiful gardens, sporting events, or social events. Many Classes are available to retirees at little or no cost. The University has beautiful Botanical Gardens as well as Experimental gardens which always are trying to improve veggie or fruit production.

Shopping in this region is amazing ! Grocery stores are plentiful, I can count at least 9 locations to chose from. New homes are once again being built in Barrow County, including Statham area. The County is protected by Barrow County Emergency Services... Barrow County Sheriff, Barrow county Fire & Ambulance services.

As for user friendly for mobility challenged... Lets start with Statham, the town has installed sidewalk ramps for crossing the streets. The several antique shops in town have ramps to reach the elevated sidewalk that runs in front of those stores. City Hall, police dept. (yes Statham also has its own police dept) Community multi function room are all wheel chair accessible. The town is Golf Cart friendly, with golf cart trails and a dog park for those pet owners who want to exercise their fur buddies. Winder has just improved their County Government building to make it fully handicap accessible. Athens I am sure would be in compliant as well.

Medical services are plentiful. Winder has Barrow Regional Medical Center. Athens has St. Mary's Hospital & Health Care Center. Athens Regional Hospital has just joined with Atlanta's Piedmont Hospital. Landmark Hospital of Athens is the premier Long Term Acute Care (LTAC) hospital in Northeast Georgia. Many very talented Doctors are located their offices in the area as well.

Take a drive in our area some time... Follow route 316 east, past Lawrenceville then turn north on Rt 81 to head to Winder... after exploring the town, drive east on Atlanta Highway towards Statham... Then you can continue east on Atlanta Highway, which will take you down town Athens. Come see what an hour east of Atlanta has to offer. I believe you will be pleased with your search of this area.
[/LEFT]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or