U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-28-2016, 09:38 AM

1 posts, read 1,052 times

Advertisements

Using a forum like this is new for me so please bear with me :-). I'm looking to move away from Wyoming to Georgia because of the climate. I love warm and humid weather as well as lower elevations so Georgia seems to fit my needs in that respect. My question being, what are the safest places in the state to live as well as low unemployment rates?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2016, 12:41 AM

6,635 posts, read 6,055,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladymous View Post
Using a forum like this is new for me so please bear with me :-). I'm looking to move away from Wyoming to Georgia because of the climate. I love warm and humid weather as well as lower elevations so Georgia seems to fit my needs in that respect. My question being, what are the safest places in the state to live as well as low unemployment rates?
Depends on what type of environment you want to live in.

Safe environments can be found all over the state of Georgia.

The most employment opportunities are found in the largest city/metros like Augusta, Columbus, Savannah and (especially) Atlanta.

Old 12-29-2016, 06:09 AM

4,639 posts, read 7,833,339 times
Ugh, I'd trade you if I could.... I was born and raised in Lander and I would GLADLY take anywhere in the Rockies (well, maybe not the Front Range of CO, too liberal/Californicated) over Georgia.

You want warm and humid? It was 75* here on Christmas, rained for the week leading up. Humidity at 99% with the temp and dew-point at the same number means condensation saturated Everything (walls, windows, every single surface), towels go mildewy in a day unless you drop them in the drier immediately after drying off, all of your food has to be keep in airtight containers else it goes stale OR gets eaten up by bugs... heck, I've bought a small bag of rice here before that came home from the store full of 'pantry moths'. This is just some of what you want.... have you lived, not just visited/vacationed, but actually lived with high humidity? In the summers you can't go outside to do Anything, there is no respite in shade, you stop paying much attention to the Temperature and start looking at the Heat Index as the humidity transfers heat much more efficiently (conduction vs convection).

And then you have your desire for safe. I don't really feel Less safe here than in Wyoming except in the cities. The cities are huge enclaves of what are turning out to be very aggressive liberal/democrats. I don't begrudge someone their political opinion, mine certainly doesn't fall in line with the major parties, but when there are riots, roving gangs that shut down highways in interstates for hours on end, there's a problem. And "low unemployment" is subjective, yes there's more employment in the cities but, well. just look at the numbers for yourself:

Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not ok

Atlanta has more unemployment than the state average and VASTLY more than the national average. You want a better-than-average unemployment rate in a warm/humid area, Hawaii is the best. Want somewhere Cheaper than that, then it's Arkansas followed by South Carolina and then Texas.

Me, given the choice (my wife wants to be near her folks, I don't count leaving her as a choice), I'd move away from the SE and never look back/think twice. This is *not* a pleasant place to live. It's a few years old, but Georgia was ranked the worst state for "integrity":

https://www.publicintegrity.org/2012...-score-country

and that Really shows in taxes/fees and the services provided. If you have kids, the schools systems here are TERRIBLE, rife with corruption:

Grand jury indicts 35 teachers, officials in Georgia cheating scandal - CNN.com

And the education shows it with students testing landing them nearly dead last (45~47 of 49) in the rankings. And THAT indicates the quality of life here, with low/no educated kids being the builk of the population, growing into adults and never leaving.

Now, clearly, I'm pointing out the absolute Worst case info. Try to take off your rose tinted glasses though and be Honest about what you want. What I want most is basic respect from those in my community. What I get is trash over my fence, windows shot out by kids, police who are more interested in traffic tickets then improving the community, city counsel who go to great lengths to help themselves, taxes that are Significantly higher than in WY (I pay about $200 more a year for a property that's worth 1/3rd as much as what I owned in Lander). I've been flat-out ignored in businesses, contractors can't be bothered to return calls and those that do Always start out the conversation with "Who's yer kin?" ~ not local? Fat chance someone will do any work for you... and IF they do, you're going to be quoted a price that's three times more. Living here has turned me into a jaded and hateful person in a way that hadn't happened for 4 decades before, including time in Washington DC and California.

Anyway, just proceed VERY cautiously if you decided to move to the SE. There are 10 million people in GA and some of them even moved here on purpose and like it, so it's possible you might find happiness, just do your homework.

Last edited by Yac; 01-18-2017 at 07:08 AM..

Old 12-29-2016, 10:07 AM

4 posts, read 3,380 times
It was warm during Christmas here!

Old 12-29-2016, 12:51 PM

5,819 posts, read 4,037,162 times
Quote:
Check out Carrollton. Its located in West Georgia about 50 miles West of Atlanta. Its a nice small town, has adequate shopping, restaurants, entertainment, etc. I believe Carrollton is safe. I don't know the employment rate, but we have a lot of industrial,medical and other types of industry.

//www.city-data.com/city/Carrollton-Georgia.html

Old 12-29-2016, 10:35 PM

459 posts, read 334,287 times
Quote:
If you have some money you can look for a nice place in Roswell, Alpharetta, or Johns Creek north of Atlanta. I'd stay clear of southwest Georgia. If you want lower elevations you can try coastal Georgia. St. Simmons Island might be more to your liking than the Atlanta area. Good luck with your search.

Old 12-30-2016, 08:58 AM

4,583 posts, read 3,848,744 times
Georgia's average education ranks low but averages are averages. People act like you can't find a single good school here and that's just not true. It's mainly the inner city schools and rural schools that aren't good. Suburban areas often have excellent schools especially in Atlanta. As long as you do your research beforehand you can find a good school.

With that said, Savannah would definitely be the warmest/most humid as it's on the coast. I'm not too familiar with the area so I'm not sure how good the economy is right now.

Augusta and Columbus are also notable metros as is Macon/Warner Robbins.

While it's not low in elevation and is a little less humid, the Atlanta area would more than likely give you the best chance in getting a job and has some of the best schools in the state though it can get pricey in spots. What sort of job are you looking for and what might your budget be?

If you were retired and didn't have to worry about schools, I'd recommend Thomasville. Down in SW Georgia with plenty of humidity with a nice downtown area.

Florida is the obvious choice for humid conditions. Not sure how much thought you've given for Florida. I'll also say look at Texas. East Texas is often more humid than Atlanta. Houston in particular has a strong economy and plenty of good schools although I'm not a fan of the scenery.

Old 01-26-2017, 11:56 PM

28 posts, read 22,456 times
I have to make the move to humid because I have an eye that makes no moisture (I broke my face years ago, long story...) and I'm tired of having to bandage it all winter. My husband is dreading the heat, but we don't really have a choice. And frankly I've been itch'n to get away from WI winter weather for 30 years so it's time. We will be moving in March.

We picked Kingsland GA. Don't quote me on anything here, but this is what I've read online or been told and what made us decide to try here first: It's near the coast, which usually means less drastic variation between summer and winter. Comfortable temps in Winter (I've read the 4 seasons are November, December, January, and Summer). It's near Jacksonville and Brunswick, so we are hoping better chance of finding jobs. Not a bad drive from Jacksonville or Savannah airports. Tons of hotels for guests - which you'll need since you don't have a basement to shack them up in. It's a heavy military town (Navy base), so good diversity. Oh, and affordable compared to everywhere else we looked. Plus every convenience we could think of (Quote: "They have a TACO BELL HERE!!!!". Yes, where we currently live you have to travel 20 minutes to get to things like taco bell...). Reasonable drive to a variety of state forest / nature type areas. Average snowfall is 0.

Downsides: Military town and we are not military so I'm not sure how well we'll fit in. Everyone lives in tight subdivisions - if you want rural you pretty much have to look at other towns. To be fair, you can put up really tall fences right on the lot line without a permit. It's near the coast, but you have to drive 40 minutes around the lakes and Naval base to actually get to an ocean beach. But once there, the beaches are awesome. Again, just what I read. Oh, and termites - you must have ongoing termite prevention services or your house will be destroyed. Homeowner's rates are higher, which is probably proportional to the increase in bad storms, tornadoes, and hurricanes.

Then there also are of course the cons of most of Georgia [and Florida] in general: Summers are hot, humid, and very very long. And alligators, wild pigs, bears (seriously?!!? - but near kingland they stay mostly 30 minutes away in the okefenokee swamp, which is just really fun to say by the way), black widow spiders (an egg sac was in our house during the inspection!!!), hurricanes. You have to mow your lawn twice a week, all year long. Some homes are on flood risk areas. If you don't currently identify with an organized religion, you will have to come up with creative answers to "which church do you go to?".

If we could afford it I'd probably would have checked out somewhere closer to the coast or jacksonville (but not IN jacksonville - we are NOT city people). Maybe St. Marys, Fernandina Beach, etc. But I think Kingsland is a good place to take the plunge into moving out of the state for the first time in our lives and see what we think. I'm excited, but very very nervous!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or