Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2016, 11:34 AM

54 posts, read 119,786 times

Advertisements

Hi,
I am trying to move away from the big cities of Maryland to a smaller, more connected area. Georgia is one place that keeps coming up. I am looking for a place with a good economy. I am not looking to be near Atlanta, though. I need a low crime rate. I was looking in northern Georgia because I really like the mountains and am trying to avoid the humidity if I can - so if anyone knows of a place in the Georgia mountains with affordable housing, low crime, and not too low of a population, I would be interested. I would also be interested in other areas of Georgia if there is an off- the - beaten path place, that also has affordable housing and low crime.
Having some access to a college would be a bonus as well. Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2016, 03:24 PM

5,621 posts, read 5,934,485 times
Athens comes to mind though I'd live in the Oconee County area if you have kids. Also Athens has decent crime level but the suburban areas are fine. UGA is there.

Gainesville is decent. The SW suburbs are quickly joining the Atlanta metro area but traffic isn't that bad if you aren't driving to Atlanta.

Old 12-31-2016, 03:58 PM

23,459 posts, read 44,083,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sedimenjerry View Post
Athens comes to mind though I'd live in the Oconee County area if you have kids. Also Athens has decent crime level but the suburban areas are fine. UGA is there.

Gainesville is decent. The SW suburbs are quickly joining the Atlanta metro area but traffic isn't that bad if you aren't driving to Atlanta.
Watkinsville might be a good alternative. It's basically a bedroom community for Athens. It offers safety, proximity to Athens and UGA and a bucolic small town feeling.

Home : City of Watkinsville, Oconee County, Georgia

Old 12-31-2016, 05:55 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,921,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sedimenjerry View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
Watkinsville might be a good alternative. It's basically a bedroom community for Athens. It offers safety, proximity to Athens and UGA and a bucolic small town feeling.

Home : City of Watkinsville, Oconee County, Georgia
Athens isn't in the mountains.

Old 12-31-2016, 05:58 PM

5,621 posts, read 5,934,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
Athens isn't in the mountains.
No but it's not far. Plus nowhere in the mountains has a ton of jobs.

Old 01-02-2017, 07:46 AM

3 posts, read 5,052 times
Original Post also mentioned some access to College would be a Bonus as well...

Statham Georgia is a small town in Barrow County. Statham is 12 or so miles west of Athens, home to UGA - Georgia Bulldogs. A College town offers many opportunities for education, entertainment, sporting events, music, botanical gardens... the list goes on and on. Piedmont Athens Regional Hospital as well as Saint Mary's Health Care System provide excellent medical care. Should there be a need for extended Long Term Acute Care (LTAC) look for Landmark Hospital of Athens to provide those services.

Statham is about 8 miles East of Winder Georgia, which is the Barrow County government seat. Barrow County has excellent Emergency Services with Barrow County Sheriff dept - Fire Services also include Ambulance services as well. Fort Yargo ( Fort Yargo was built circa 1792) State Park is located in Winder. Through out the year Winder offers events and festivals.

Now to the good part Statham Georgia is a small town of some 2,559 residents as of 2013 senses. Statham has a small but effective police dept. Fire protection is provided by Barrow County Emergency services with a station in town that has a Fire pumper truck as well as an Ambulance. Statham has several small subdivisions being built in once again (since the housing bubble burst) with affordable homes being offered for sale. The town offers several festivals through out the year. Christmas Parade & Festival - Springfest - Sunflower Festival. Twice a month the town offers space along Railroad street for people to have a yard sale. There are several Antique shops, a bicycle shop, The town has a Veterans Memorial and often hosts Veterans day events.

Come visit our area... look over the surrounding locations as well... See what Barrow County has to offer... Come fall in love with all that Georgia has to offer.

Old 01-23-2017, 07:51 PM

73 posts, read 120,263 times
Towns county....hiawassee and nearby young harris has a college

Old 02-25-2017, 11:21 AM

1,497 posts, read 1,518,593 times
My favorites are:

Thomasville
Dahlonega
Milledgeville
Madison
Cartersville
Americus
Hiawassee
Elijay
Vidalia.
.. These small towns span all over Georgia. I am sure I left a few out but these are the first to come to mind

Old 02-25-2017, 11:42 AM

1,497 posts, read 1,518,593 times
Sorry, just reread the OP and noticed they were specifically looking for MOuntain towns.
IN that case I would recommend
Elijay
Cartersville (It's close enough to the mountains and a short drive to Atlanta)
Trenton (close to Chattanooga and Cloudland Canyon State par which is beautiful)
Clayton (Easy access to Great Smokey Mountains)
Hiawassee
Young Harris (small college town in the mountains)
Dahlonega (great central location in the north Georgia Mountains.. easy access via GA 400 to Atlanta)
Helen is also nice but is more for tourists I feel

Old 03-02-2017, 02:48 PM

10,744 posts, read 13,384,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cblueberry1 View Post
Hi,
I am trying to move away from the big cities of Maryland to a smaller, more connected area. Georgia is one place that keeps coming up. I am looking for a place with a good economy. I am not looking to be near Atlanta, though. I need a low crime rate. I was looking in northern Georgia because I really like the mountains and am trying to avoid the humidity if I can - so if anyone knows of a place in the Georgia mountains with affordable housing, low crime, and not too low of a population, I would be interested. I would also be interested in other areas of Georgia if there is an off- the - beaten path place, that also has affordable housing and low crime.
Having some access to a college would be a bonus as well. Thank you
Look at Dahlonega, Ellijay, Blue Ridge, Blairsville and Toccoa - among my favorites in N. Georgia.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia