Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-06-2007, 01:55 PM

3 posts, read 6,564 times

Advertisements

Scottish family of four, two quiet teenage boys, moving in the spring from Scotland to Georgia. Looking to buy a home somewhere around Lawrenceville. Any information would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2007, 07:54 AM

985 posts, read 5,757,848 times
If you look for Lawrenceville, I would recommend Lawreceville near sugarloaf country club and Discover Mills area. The school district is Peachtree Ridge High school, which is four year old high school.

Old 01-07-2007, 01:00 PM

29 posts, read 158,300 times
I visited Lawrenceville for a couple of days this summer, I have a relative there. He and his wife live in the area that Jxu66 spoke of. I was very impressed with the close proximity to quality shopping. I saw several schools, just off the main roads. The area seems to be one that is hitting a growth spurt. I know my cousin moved in about 2 years ago and they have a 4 bedroom, 2.5 bath, 2 story house for $168,000 and he told me the latest homes (of the same style) in their subdivision is now starting in the $190's. For me, Lawrenceville was nice enough to consider that neck of the woods for future retirement. Good luck with your new endeavor.

Old 01-07-2007, 02:28 PM

Default jxu66 & lovey1

Thank you both for your replies. My husband and I spent a few days with friends in Lawrenceville in late October 2006 and thought it was very appealing. My husband will probably be back out in early February this year and some of the areas we would now like information on are - Suwanee, Buford, Cumming, Snellville, etc etc. Basically anywhere that is within a short (30 - 40 mins) commute from Gainesville. Thanks again, I appreciate your time.

Old 01-08-2007, 07:44 AM

8 posts, read 30,961 times
I think GA still has lots of space AND land otherwise the construction industry wouldn't be enjoying it's current boom. So far I have read this forum from end to end and the people who are asking about moving here don't sound like their the kinda folks who are gonna commit any serious crime. So yeah, I hope your move to GA works out well for you and lets face it, you're obviously bringing somehting with you that we don't have. Anyway, I love the Scots. Good luck

Old 01-09-2007, 02:02 PM

2 posts, read 12,601 times
Smile Welcome to the USA

If your husband will be working in Gainesville, there are pretty places to live closer than Lawrenceville. I lived in Buford, in the Mill Creek School Cluster, great school system. I was 4 miles from the Mall of Georgia. Problem with Lawrenceville and areas surrounding it, is the traffic. Although your husband would be going in the opposite direction of traffic. Unless you buy an older home in Gwinnett County, the houses are on top of each other. My house was on .23 of an acre. 4 months ago I moved to Barrow County (Winder). I am only 3 miles off I85, so I'm still near civialization. The property in Barrow is much bigger, we have 3/4 of an acre. We moved to get away from the traffic, and houses that were way too close for us. We didn't realize it at the time because we were the 4th house completed in the new subdivision. We also moved from New Jersey, where we had more land too.
Working in Gainesville, I would live in Braselton, Hoschton, Jackson County, Barrow County. Use www.mapquest.com to get an idea how far away places are. Good Luck!

Old 01-14-2007, 03:46 PM

Smile Scots moving Stateside

Any information on how to open a bank account in the US before we come over as we wont have necessary social security numbers etc before then?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia